[1.8.9][TileEntity] Making a block that drains all player experience

Major Squirrel

Good evening,

I'm currently trying to make a block, an "experience container" that drains the player experience when rightclicking on it. I think I'm managing well for now but I have few questions about player exp management :

• Do I have to check the isRemote variable inside the drainExperienceFromPlayer ?
  • In the method bolded above, do I have to cast the EntityPlayer to a multiplayer one ? I feel it is "safer" to perform operations on variables, such as experience, on multiplayer entities (it is for a private server)

As you can see in the same method, I'm managing player experience super simply : I just make an exp transfer in the block and I reset the player exp variables just putting them at 0 :

public boolean          drainExperienceFromPlayer(EntityPlayer playerIn) {
        if (!this.worldObj.isRemote && playerIn instanceof EntityPlayerMP) {
            EntityPlayerMP  playerMP;

playerMP = (EntityPlayerMP) playerIn;
            if (playerMP.experienceTotal > 0) {
                this.experienceTotal += playerMP.experienceTotal;
                playerMP.experienceTotal = 0;
                playerMP.experienceLevel = 0;
                playerMP.experience = 0.0f;
            } else return (false);
        }
        return (true);
    }

I made some googling such as this gamepedia link, this topic and the EntityPlayer class to see that leveling up is specially treated, and I'd like not to f*ck up player experience performing this kind of operation.

The following files :

BlockExpContainer.java

TileEntityBlockExpContainer.java

Thank you in advance for your help !  ;D

Squirrel ! Squirrel ! Squirrel !

1) Yes. But not necesserily. It will be synced from server to client anyway.

2) Do NOT cast player to client/server/singleplayer specific unless you really have to. If you can perform operations on player, without casting to specific type, do not cast it.

Sode note: why are you doing

(false)

? Just wondering. First time seeing this style.

2) Do NOT cast player to client/server/singleplayer specific unless you really have to. If you can perform operations on player, without casting to specific type, do not cast it.

(false)

Hi elix, thanks for your reply. :)

I will modify my code, considering what you said above.

About return (false), I like to get a clear view of what I am returning inside my code. It's an habit I got since college. ;D

What about the player experience management I did ? Is it ok ? I took a look earlier on the EntityPlayer class and it seems that these variables are initialized with negative values, so I don't really know if it's ok to do the way I did.

Squirrel ! Squirrel ! Squirrel !

(false)

Hi elix, thanks for your reply. :)

I will modify my code, considering what you said above.

About return (false), I like to get a clear view of what I am returning inside my code. It's an habit I got since college. ;D

What about the player experience management I did ? Is it ok ? I took a look earlier on the EntityPlayer class and it seems that these variables are initialized with negative values, so I don't really know if it's ok to do the way I did.

I'm not able to tell you anything about this part, as i've never worked with experience (:D).

You'll have to try or to ask/wait someone else to answer.