Should I update my project to 1.8.9?

yoshiquest

What the title says. Should I update my project (forge-clj) to 1.8.9, or stay on 1.7.10 until I've finished some things? What all changes are involved, how big is the switch, and is 1.8.9 starting to see some common use? I'm just kinda uncertain...

Currently working on a mod to provide support for the Clojure programming language in Minecraft, check it out here.

Those kinds of questions is what's wrong with modders (meaning: everyone stays on 1.7 because everyone else is, so why bother).

Answer is obviously and always (for me and some at least) - "Develop for latest possible version and eventually backport if there is need."

And btw - you should be asking your users, don't you have some mod thread? :P

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Your decision will turn on what you think of world preservation. Do you want to keep playing in a modded world you've been building using your mod, or do you want to start a new world? This is critical because modded worlds often don't travel well from version to version. I've pursued a couple of threads here in the last year, and my conclusion was that people just don't open modded worlds in anything but the version in which they were created (and did I want to write a version-sensitive conversion program that would comb through all of the saved world data for all of the chunks ever loaded -- nope, too daunting a task).

Therefore, going from 1.7.10 to 1.8 or higher would not only mean learning the radically new and tediously difficult json-based rendering paradigm, but it would also mean that your upgraded mod would only be usable in new worlds created with the newer version (unless you don't mind wholesale scrambling of modded blocktypes in an existing world).

If you don't care about any worlds with long history worth continuing, then follow Ernio's advice: Keep pace with recommended Forge builds as much as possible (which actually means forking development at each decompiled workspace you create). It's then your choice whether to port new features back to earlier versions. I'm too lazy to do so (yet), only touching 1.7.10 when a bug is reported there.

For what it's worth, I am married to some long-running worlds, so I upgrade only intermittently. I upped from 1.7.10 to 1.8 last year, so I'll probably skip 1.8.9 and go to 1.9 later. The interim will also give me a chance to develop some new mods before being sucked into another upgrade cycle (1.8 was/is a nightmare, as evidenced by the hundreds of threads here anguishing over json files, meshing etc). However, nightmare or no, you'll probably want to try out the loads of new features in each major Minecraft release, even if you end up hosting a whole new world for each .

YMMV

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Hi

The jump from 1.7.10 to 1.8 is a big one.  From 1.8 to 1.8.9 is pretty trivial.  1.8 has been around for more than a year now which is a very long time in Minecraft terms.

By upgrading to the latest forge version, you get more new users.  But it's not as satisfying as adding new features.

Personally, I'd say to freeze your 1.7.10, convert to 1.8, and keep going with new features then. 

-TGG

i have the same dilemma

but i chose to stop to develop what i alredy have made in 1.8.0

mi mod only has little more than a year and is only like 70% of whats suppouse to be

i see the change in the weapon system in 1.9 whith the shield now default

so is most likely i will have to make everithing again from scrach once forge 1.9 get launched, i hope this hapend in the next weeks

i gona rest until, and then i gonna start again