[1.7.10]How to modify Player Speed

DanielDawn

So I'd like to make an item called running boots, where when you start sprinting it gives you a speed boost(Not the speed effect), and then through an event handler it removes the added speed, or sets it back to normal. I'm really confused... player.capabilities.setPlayerWalkSpeed(1); is what I'm currently trying to use.

EventHandler Class (It says Iron Boots because I haven't made the class yet.)

package danieldawn.smallenhancements;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventPriority;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.init.Items;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingEvent.LivingUpdateEvent;

public class SeEventHandler {
@SubscribeEvent(priority = EventPriority.NORMAL)
public void onLivingUpdate(LivingUpdateEvent e) {

if (e.entityLiving instanceof EntityPlayer) {

EntityPlayer player = (EntityPlayer) e.entityLiving;

if (player.getCurrentArmor(0) != null && player.getCurrentArmor(0).getItem() == Items.iron_boots){
		if(player.isSprinting() == true){
			player.capabilities.setPlayerWalkSpeed(2);
		}
}
if (player.getEquipmentInSlot(0) == null){
		player.capabilities.setPlayerWalkSpeed(1);
}

}

}
			}

I'm hoping to do everything in the event handler as well? I'd also like to make more boots that do the exact same thing.

With the code above, no matter what, the player moves rapidly. (Yes this is my first Event Handler)

The best way is to use AttributeModifiers, not modifying the player walk speed. Item#getItemAttributeModifiers can return a multimap containing any number of attribute modifiers that will be applied automatically when the item is equipped or held, and then removed when the opposite is true.

If you don't want the modifier to apply when the item is held, you have to do a lot of extra work: set up IExtendedEntityProperties to store the last equipped item in the boots armor slot and check each tick via PlayerTick whether the item has changed. Each time it changes, remove all modifiers for the previous item and apply any for the new item, if any, then store the new item.

Thank you, I've read that in a previous post of yours actually involving your pegasus boots. However I would not like to have it give speed while running, or give speed when not sprinting... So I guess I'll just give up on this idea for now. Thanks for your reply though.

It's still perfectly doable - subscribe to PlayerTickEvent and do something like the following:

public static final AttributeModifier SPEED_BONUS = new AttributeModifier(args);
if (player is wearing your boots && player.isSprinting()) {
   player.getEntityAttribute(SharedMonsterAttributes.movementSpeed).applyModifier(SPEED_BONUS);
} else {
   player.getEntityAttribute(SharedMonsterAttributes.movementSpeed).removeModifier(SPEED_BONUS);
}

You might want to throw in a check first to see if the modifier is already applied, or save a boolean flag like #isSprinting does so you don't add/remove it constantly.