[1.8.9] [SOLVED] Different textures for items depending on damage (not metadata)

Eastonium

Basically, a different texture when something like a wooden sword has 1 damage vs no damage.

I haven't been able to find how to do this anywhere. I know that with 1.9 you can define this in the item model files, but I need a 1.8 solution.

It was so easy to do with the old 1.7 way of textures. *cries on the inside*

Implement

ItemMeshDefinition

and register it using

ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition

in preInit. This allows you to map an

ItemStack

to a

ModelResourceLocation

based on any criteria you want.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Do I need to create a new class and implement ItemMeshDefinition, or do I implement it in the item class of which I want the different textures?

Also, should the call of ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition go in my Client or Common proxy? Since it deals with textures I've put it in Client, but I don't want to take any chances here.

Use a separate class to implement

ItemMeshDefinition

, an anonymous one will be fine if the logic isn't too complex.

ModelLoader

ItemMeshDefinition

and

ModelResourceLocation

are all client-only classes; you can only use them in your client proxy (or a class called from it).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Alright, got that set up.

I'm having another issue with it though. I'm getting the pink/black checkered block for the specific damaged item, but not for any other damages.

Here's what I have:

public ModelResourceLocation getModelLocation(ItemStack stack) {
	if(stack.getItem() == Bionicle.heatstoneLighter){
		if(stack.getItemDamage() == 128){
			return new ModelResourceLocation(Bionicle.heatstoneLighter.getRegistryName() + "_spent", "inventory");
		}else return new ModelResourceLocation(Bionicle.heatstoneLighter.getRegistryName(), "inventory");
	}else return null;
}

I have the _spent version of the model in the same folder right next to the regular one (and spelled correctly), but like I said, its not showing up.

And I've confirmed that it is getting to that point where it returns the _spent version of the ModelResourceLocation.

Its not throwing any errors in the console either.

Minecraft only loads one model per item by default: the one with the item's registry name. To load additional models, call

ModelBakery#registerItemVariants

client side in preInit.

Just to nitpick:

Damage is metadata  >..>

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.