[1.8.9] FMLMissingMappingsEvent and missing blocks

ShetiPhian

I've gone through all my mods and changed their modid's to lowercase, and cleaned up all block and item registered names and made them lowercase.

Thankfully I've only got one that has a non-alpha/public release so this doesn't affect the rest.

I've used FMLMissingMappingsEvent to remap the id's, but it doesn't seem to be fully working.

There is no missing blocks/items message on world load.

The item and itemblock are being replaced, as they still exist in inventory.

The block however is deleted from the world.

The log doesn't have any errors and even appears to be working.

[FML]: Injecting existing block and item data into this server instance
[FML]: Found a missing id from the world endertanks:blockEnderTank
[FML]: Found a missing id from the world endertanks:blockEnderTank
[FML]: Found a missing id from the world endertanks:itemEnderBucket
[endertanks]: Block Remap: endertanks:blockEnderTank > endertanks:ender_tank
[endertanks]: ItemBlock Remap: endertanks:blockEnderTank > endertanks:ender_tank
[endertanks]: Item Remap: endertanks:itemEnderBucket > endertanks:ender_bucket
[FML]: Fixed block id mismatch endertanks:ender_tank: -1 (init) -> 198 (map).
[FML]: Fixed item id mismatch endertanks:ender_tank: -1 (init) -> 4096 (map).
[FML]: Fixed item id mismatch endertanks:ender_bucket: -1 (init) -> 4097 (map).

Here is the remap code, its in the main class of my mod (with preInit, init, etc.) and is being executed as seen by log output and partly working remap.

@Mod.EventHandler
public void fmlMissingMappingsEvent(FMLMissingMappingsEvent event)
{
    for (FMLMissingMappingsEvent.MissingMapping mapping : event.getAll()) {
        if (Values.blockEnderTank != null && mapping.name.equalsIgnoreCase("EnderTanks:blockEnderTank")) {
            if (mapping.type == GameRegistry.Type.BLOCK) {
                Values.logEnderTanks.info("Block Remap: " + mapping.name + " > " + Values.blockEnderTank.getRegistryName());
                mapping.remap(Values.blockEnderTank);
            } else {
                Values.logEnderTanks.info("ItemBlock Remap: " + mapping.name + " > " + Values.blockEnderTank.getRegistryName());
                mapping.remap(Item.getItemFromBlock(Values.blockEnderTank));
            }
            continue;
        }
        if (Values.itemEnderBucket != null && mapping.name.equalsIgnoreCase("EnderTanks:itemEnderBucket")) {
            if (mapping.type == GameRegistry.Type.ITEM) {
                Values.logEnderTanks.info("Item Remap: " + mapping.name + " > " + Values.itemEnderBucket.getRegistryName());
                mapping.remap(Values.itemEnderBucket);
            }
        }
    }
}

EDIT:

I think the problem has been located.

PersistentRegistryManager.injectSnapshot

After the missed mapping have been handled in 'if (injectFrozenData)'

The remapping is ignored and any missing block is set to BlockDummyAir

EDIT2:

Well either I'm missing something or my options are between two "wrongs"; use mixed case naming, or use reflection to correct the registry.

I don't want to be responsible for accidentally messing up the registry on someones world, so I'll stick with the mixed case naming.

When a brand-spanking new mod is added to a brand-spanking new world, there shouldn't be any of its blocks in that world needing remapping, so why are you doing remapping? (There's something missing from your story that means "the world" to us. What are you trying to do???)

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I never specified if the worlds where new or not because there is no point in remapping on a new world.

I'll expand on my previous statement of "Thankfully I've only got one that has a non-alpha/public release so this doesn't affect the rest."

One of my mods is publicly released and used by many, I don't want to mess up those existing worlds.

The rest are either private rebuilds or public alpha, so I don't care about those worlds.

The problem is the remap process is broken; even after a successful remap in world blocks are replaced with dummy air.

I have two options; edit the registry via reflection (I'm not willing to do that) or leave the mixed case id's.

The mod id's case is automatically made lowercase in the registry so changing that required no remaps, and the remap works correctly for items.

That just leaves only the block that is going to remain with the 'wrong' mixed case id.

Indeed, you didn't say anything about worlds, so there were too many possibilities to guess at.

So you're changing names in a mod but not moving from one Forge (or MC) version to another. There's hope, or at least there should have been. If what you say about injectSnapshot is correct and block remappings are all being ignored, then there may be a bug in Forge that needs to be reported (though it may have been fixed since 1.8.9). You might want to check the change logs.

Speaking of later versions, it is generally hopeless to "upgrade" existing modded worlds to later MC versions of Minecraft (possibly because block remapping is broken), so you can posit that it simply shouldn't even be attempted. That frees you to rename things with impunity when porting your mods to newer MC versions -- only new worlds will run with the new naming. Therefore, make a note to self to complete your case-change renaming when you next upgrade this mod (e.g. to 1.9.2)

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.