Weirdness when opening item via keybind b4 it has been initialised via r-click

p455w0rd

Well, here's the scenario:

I have my Wireless Crafting Terminal mod which is an item that has slots for various things.

One of those things is a filterable magnet upgrade, which upon right-click opens a GUI.

I also have a keybind performing the same action (opening the GUI), but of course done via packets.

The issue is initial saving of NBT data.

If I right-click using the item, it "initializes" it. and then I can put items in the filter slots and so forth.

At this point everything is great. The keybind functions, NBT data is saved and all is well.

However, if I create the magnet item and place it in it's appropriate slot in my Wireless Crafting Terminal without first right-clicking and then try to access the magnet GUI, it does open the magnet GUI, but none of the NBT data is saved when I add items to the filter list or change the mode from whitelisting to blacklisting.

This issue is referenced on my GitHub repo @ https://github.com/p455w0rd/WirelessCraftingTerminal/issues/7

Any ideas?

Note: 1.7.10

Also, if you just want to install the mod to reproduce what I'm talking about, get it @ http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/wireless-crafting-terminal

Okay, so I've tried setting an empty NBT tag as soon as the item is created thinking that maybe that was the problem. It's certainly not. I even tried automatically adding a stack on creation using a new Instantiation of InventoryMagnetFilter (specifically I tried InventoryMagnetFilter#setInventorySlotContents) to no avail. This wouldn't make sense though since using the "Whitelisting/Blacklisting" button has nothing to do with the inventory and it has no effect either. It just seems that until it is initialized via right-click, it somehow references a wrong instantiation of the ItemStack. I was thinking client/server sync might be the problem, but since it works after the initial right-click I think that is ruled out. It's like it references a new instance of the itemstack until the item is initialized via right click. After that it references correctly. The item is retrieved via RandomUtils#getMagnet. I should also note that if the keybind is used and the item is held/in InventoryPlayer, it also works fine. RandomUtils#getMagnet first tries to get the held item if it's the magnet and this works. also if there is no magnet in the WCT, but there is one in player's inventory, it works fine as RandomUtils#getMagnet does this check as a final check for returning the magnet ItemStack before giving up and returning null. It only fails to initialize when first inserted into the custom inventory (InventoryMagnet instantiated in ContainerWirelessCraftingTerminal) and the keybind is then used without first having right-clicked with item in-hand.

It may help if you posted some of the code related to the issue.  If you haven't already i would recommend implementing an item NBT helper. It will make working with NBT much easier and may or may not help you solve your problem.

Here is mine (You can copy it if you like) https://github.com/brandon3055/BrandonsCore/blob/master/src/main/java/com/brandon3055/brandonscore/common/utills/ItemNBTHelper.java

I am the author of Draconic Evolution

I would post code, but I don't even know where to begin. I've been as concise I as can be. I reference the repo and in post #2 made direct references to specific classes/methods. Also, as far as implementing an NBT helper class: I just don't see a real point. It does the same thing Forge already has implemented without adding any functionality. Not bashing in any way. I just don't see a reason to do this. There is probably something I'm missing in that aspect since I trust your judgement, I just don't see it atm.