[1.9] [Solved] Getting Item From Block?

LazerBeans

Hi all,

I've been delving into 1.9 modding and am trying to create a simple cardboard block. Everything seems fine, except when I run my eclipse setup I get a null pointer exception during initialization. I can see that `item` is apparently null, is there a different way to do this render call? I've been following ChampionAsh5357's tutorial, and have noticed some issues earlier (namely with registry, but I've got that sorted out) if that helps any. Provided below are the error and the file in which the error occurs.

Error:

http://pastebin.com/uLGLwyrz

MineBoardBlocks.java:

http://pastebin.com/RJ5FU6Kq

Thanks in advance!

Developer of small, unreleased, basic, and incomplete mods since 2014!

Was cardboard_block ever initialized? I see a method to do so, but I can't see that method being called.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Show MineBoard.java

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Was cardboard_block ever initialized? I see a method to do so, but I can't see that method being called.

Show MineBoard.java

Yes it is, in my main PreInit().

MineBoard.java: http://pastebin.com/KLjKhLBY

I can show my ClientProxy as well, but it calls MineBoardBlocks.init() as well.

Another important thing to note is that the code is virtually identical to the code for items, which works, with the key difference being that I needed to change the Item parameter to a Block in the registerRender() function. And in my main mod file, init() is being called before registerRenders(), so there really shouldn't be any issue there.

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem originates at line 24 in MineBoardBlocks.java:

GameRegistry.register(cardboard_block.setRegistryName("cardboard_block"));

Maybe this is a 1.9 thing (I'm currently using 1.8.9) but don't you need to set an ItemBlock when you register any block? In 1.8.9 the line would be something like:

GameRegistry.registerBlock(cardboard_block, ItemBlockCardboard.class, "cardboard_block");

I'm actually updating my mod to 1.9 right now so I'll go see how it works in that version, but I think this might be why you're getting errors with the block but not the items.

Colore - The mod that adds monochrome blocks in every color of the rainbow!

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=35149

If you're looking to learn how to make mods for 1.9.4, I wrote a helpful article with links to a lot of useful resources for learning Minecraft 1.9.4 modding!

http://supergeniuszeb.com/mods/a-helpful-list-of-minecraft-1-9-4-modding-resources/

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem originates at line 24 in MineBoardBlocks.java:

GameRegistry.register(cardboard_block.setRegistryName("cardboard_block"));

Maybe this is a 1.9 thing (I'm currently using 1.8.9) but don't you need to set an ItemBlock when you register any block? In 1.8.9 the line would be something like:

GameRegistry.registerBlock(cardboard_block, ItemBlockCardboard.class, "cardboard_block");

I'm actually updating my mod to 1.9 right now so I'll go see how it works in that version, but I think this might be why you're getting errors with the block but not the items.

Thanks! This worked. Now I just need to get the inventory model working... :/

I have read that in 1.9, one must set registry name before registering a block. I don't know if nesting is recommended.

I see "init" methods being called in a "preInit" event handler. For clarity, I recommend either moving them to the "init" event handler or renaming them.

I don't think that an explicit ItemBlock need be set for every block (that's why there's a registration method without that parameter). The Vanilla ItemBlock class will be used for any block being registered without its own. However, if giving your own led you do re-order your set and registration lines, then you may have fixed another problem by accident.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I don't think that an explicit ItemBlock need be set for every block (that's why there's a registration method without that parameter). The Vanilla ItemBlock class will be used for any block being registered without its own. However, if giving your own led you do re-order your set and registration lines, then you may have fixed another problem by accident.

In 1.9, you have to register the

ItemBlock

yourself. You don't need to create your own class though,

ItemBlock

can still be used if you don't need any custom behaviour.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

ItemBlock

ItemBlock

Wow! That's going to F up almost every block in every mod!

As a ghostbuster once said, "OK, Important safety tip."

ItemBlock

ItemBlock

Wow! That's going to F up almost every block in every mod!

As a ghostbuster once said, "OK, Important safety tip."

It's trivial to fix once you know that the change has been made, just make sure your block registration method creates and registers the

ItemBlock

after registering the

Block

You can see my implementation of this here.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.