[1.9] Apply redstone in a remote location

wesserboy

Hello everyone,

I will try to explain my idea as good as possible, but if anything is unclear, be sure to ask me to clarify.

I have a block, which has a position in the world it is 'bound' to. This block should send all the redstone signals it receives to that bound location, no matter what block is at that location.

First off i thought of making a fake air block at the position which would send all its redstone-related calls to the block it is 'bound' to, but the problem is that the bound location won't always be air, so i can't just put another block there.

When browsing some classes i found that the world calls block-specific methods to get its redstone, which means i can't influence this directly.

Then i thought: is there any (open source) other mod that does the same? However, every mod i could think of uses a block at the receiving end, which is exactly my problem.

then i browsed the different events and hooks forge offers, but i couldn't find any that have to do with redstone.

This is where i am stuck. I don't have any code to show, since i can't figure out how to implement this.

I am basically asking if anyone knows a way to do this, or classes to look at, or any other way to get more info about this topic.

Thank you in advance!

-Wesserboy

I made the Mob Particles mod, you can check it out here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2709242-172-forge-mob-particles/

yeah, something along those lines.

Lets say i bound the block to a redstone lamp, and i put a lever on the block, i want the lamp to turn on (as if it was powered by the lever).

Or if i bound it to a block of stone, i want the stone to provide passive power, etc...

I made the Mob Particles mod, you can check it out here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2709242-172-forge-mob-particles/

Yeah no, you're not going to be able to do that because power-able blocks check their neighbors for power.  If none of their neighbors have power, they turn off.  Creating a "virtual" connection like that would require replacing a block with the Redstone Block (or equivalent).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hmm, that's what i figured...

Since i don't see myself implementing a new event for forge i guess i'll have to hold off of this one for now.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion though, now i can at least stop looking for it ;)

You could request a feature.

Something along these lines:

RedstonePoweredEvent - fired when BlockPos is asked if it provides power and returns integer value 0-15 of signal strength.

Event would be useful I think. You could have remote powering, disabling power in things you don't want to provide power, even cutting signals of redstone.

Question is - how hard would it be to implement it - this depends of centralization of "providesPower" calls.

Worth giving a shot :) (or doing PR yourself).

Note: totally theoretical, last time I did power/redstone stuff was pre 1.3...

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

There's a reason there's not a BlockUpdateEvent fired when any block runs its update tick method: the sheer number of calls that would be made to the event bus.

Reducing this to only redstone powered objects wouldn't really do much.

Afterall: do you expect every dot of redstone dust to fire this event?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

For now, you might start with a custom receiver block, something you code yourself to look beyond its own neighbors for its source of power. Put one of those under your lamp, and then create a custom set of remote buttons and switches that can be configured to throw power to any receiver within range (i.e. skip the intermediate sender block).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Just to reinforce this, I know what you are trying to do, this is something I researched and played with for several days to make one of my mobs give off a redstone signal. It is impossible without it being added to forge, or making a core mod to alter how it works. Both would be a long process, though it is something I would love to see myself

Just to reinforce this, I know what you are trying to do, this is something I researched and played with for several days to make one of my mobs give off a redstone signal. It is impossible without it being added to forge, or making a core mod to alter how it works. Both would be a long process, though it is something I would love to see myself