[1.9] Replacing the health system?

Cerandior

I really would like to know, how to go on this without ruining anything. I would like to make my own Hit Points system to fit my needs, but i also want it to be compatible with any other mod that is using the hearts for something. I would like to cancel out the rendering of the hearts also, and make my own hp bar with more variables to make it more customizable, as i am trying to do some sort of Role-Playing style mod. I think it would be good to say that i haven't tried anything yet. Just asking for a general idea on how to go about doing this.

Start taking a look at Capabilities (I previously used IExtendedProperties for RPG-style stats systems but they got removed now).

Depending on how you want to override the vanilla system and mod integration, you could still use the vanilla HP variables, works just fine (don't forget to override the rendering though, especially if you have a lot of HP, like 200, because vanilla will render all 200 hearts each tick).

If you don't want to break balance with other mods, you could find a way of changing the way they interact with the HP (for example, instead of "+2HP make it +10% HP).

Check out:

Rendering:

* RenderGameOveralyEvent (Client Forge Events)

* VertexBuffer / GL (Rendering)

Logic:

* LivingEvents, such as hurting and stuff (Common Forge Events)

* IAttribute / AttributeModifier / AbstractAttributeMap (Vanilla attribute systems)

* @Capability (http://mcforge.readthedocs.org/en/latest/datastorage/capabilities/)

There is hella lot of stuff to know when dealing with stats and rpg stuff overall.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.