[1.9.4] [UNSOLVED] Render 2D Entity

Bektor

Hi,

I'm wondering how I can render a 2D Entity in Minecraft. It's not a throwable entity!

Here is what I've got so far:

if(entity.isDead)
            return;

GlStateManager.pushMatrix(); // store the transformation 
        GlStateManager.translate(posX, posY, posZ); // set viewport to tile entity position to render it   

double distanceSq = entity.getDistanceSqToEntity(Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderViewEntity());
            float alpha = (float) (1.f - Math.min(1.d, distanceSq / (650 * .78543)));
            float size = (float) (.1f + entity.getSize());

this.bindTexture(texture);
            GlStateManager.disableDepth();
            GlStateManager.rotate(-this.getRenderManager().playerViewY, .0f, 1.f, .0f);
            GlStateManager.rotate(this.getRenderManager().playerViewX, 1.f, 0.f, 0.f);
            GL11.glScalef(size, size, size);

Tessellator tesselator = Tessellator.getInstance();
            VertexBuffer vertexbuffer = tesselator.getBuffer();

vertexbuffer.begin(7, DefaultVertexFormats.POSITION);
            vertexbuffer.pos(posX, posY, posZ);
            GlStateManager.color(0, 0, 0, alpha);

GlStateManager.enableTexture2D();

tesselator.draw();

GlStateManager.enableDepth();

GlStateManager.popMatrix();

The Entity should also rotate, so the player sees it always from the front.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.

Have you looked at snowball? It literally gives you full code :P

Basically - translate rendering to x/y/z of entity, scale it down, rotate to face camera (player) and render using normal GL or utilizing VertexBuffer.

Drawing in 3D (world) is like drawing on screen (e.g Gui.class) you just add translation/scaling/rotation.

So yeah - lookup snowball.

If you are asking about applying this stuff - you need factory and then register it in client proxy - need more info?

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Have you looked at snowball? It literally gives you full code :P

Basically - translate rendering to x/y/z of entity, scale it down, rotate to face camera (player) and render using normal GL or utilizing VertexBuffer.

Drawing in 3D (world) is like drawing on screen (e.g Gui.class) you just add translation/scaling/rotation.

So yeah - lookup snowball.

If you are asking about applying this stuff - you need factory and then register it in client proxy - need more info?

Well, how can I rotate the object always around the player, so that he can only see the front of it?

And for what is the new VertexBuffer class? I mean, there is now a Tesselator, GameState stuff and VertexBuffer.

VertexBuffer is just re-name of WorldRenderer which is basically a wrapper around GL vertex rendering.

Tesselator is basically class with method that allows you to get VertexBuffer.

Note - everything done in VertexBuffer can be done with normal GL (as said - it's just a wrapper).

Why is VertexBuffer "superior" to GL - well, it has some fancy VertexFormat that nicely wrap all stuff you would need to do using GL into simple calls.

As to rotating to face player - Look at RenderFireball and/or RenderSnowball - it literally gives you full code, especially that part with rotating to face camera (beginning of #doRender method).

VertexBuffer is just re-name of WorldRenderer which is basically a wrapper around GL vertex rendering.

Tesselator is basically class with method that allows you to get VertexBuffer.

Note - everything done in VertexBuffer can be done with normal GL (as said - it's just a wrapper).

Why is VertexBuffer "superior" to GL - well, it has some fancy VertexFormat that nicely wrap all stuff you would need to do using GL into simple calls.

As to rotating to face player - Look at RenderFireball and/or RenderSnowball - it literally gives you full code, especially that part with rotating to face camera (beginning of #doRender method).

Ok, there is just one problem. The snowball class is using the RenderItem thing to render it, but I've got no item to be rendered, because my Entity is not an item.

Look at RenderFireball and/or RenderSnowball

You can even use drawTexturedModalRect from Gui class. Just make sure you translate/scale/rotate to right position in world.

Or draw simple boxes or panes (drawRect), or anything really.

Look at RenderFireball and/or RenderSnowball

You can even use drawTexturedModalRect from Gui class. Just make sure you translate/scale/rotate to right position in world.

Or draw simple boxes or panes (drawRect), or anything really.

Well, I don't have access to the method drawTexturedModalRect from the GUI class.

And just copy it into my render class would not work because I don't have access to all variables. And I don't think I would need stuff like textureX, textureY, width and height.

Well, I don't have access to the method drawTexturedModalRect from the GUI class.

The hell you don't.

Gui#drawTexturedModalRect

If your class extends anything that inherits from

Gui

then you have drawTexturedModalRect.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

The hell you don't.

Gui#drawTexturedModalRect

If your class extends anything that inherits from

Gui

then you have drawTexturedModalRect.

Well, but my class does NOT inherits from Gui. It's an ENTITY, not an Gui. ;)

I'm inheriting from Render.

Jesus christ... what's the difference, you don't need GUI class for anythig. Its just a utility class. If you want so hard to use it just copy its methods to static class or to your renderer.

Gui class gives you examples how to use VertexBuffer - which again - is just a WRAPPER around NORMAL GL. So either learn 1st, or even better - both. You literally have like 50 Render classes to learn from. I told where exacly to look for the exact thing you want. You can almost copy that shit.

Well, I'm not going to learn some stupid old OpenGL 2.1.... why should I?

For anything which is not called Minecraft I would have to re-learn nearly everything!

And I'm currently learning modern OpenGL (3.3+), even when the book I've got is for OpenGL 4.5.

And you can't just learn from such classes when there is nearly no comment or javadoc stuff that easily. And even when there would be it would take a very long time.

I even saw code where textures where drawn, but it wasn't 1.9 code and because I've got no idea how to port that code over and because I don't know which coordinates and all of that stuff I have to use for that what I want......

I'm trying to do it know with OpenGL 4.5! Don't care how many people might not have OpenGL 4.5. Seems no other way which makes fun... and isn't frustrating....

Then implement it using common opengl features.

You can push matrix and load identity for both projection and modelview, and draw 2d contents. I used this method for my texture test.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.