[1.10.2][1.9.4] Blockbuster - simple machinimas and cinematics for Minecraft

horsewithnoname

Hello there! :)

I'm proud to introduce to you my first published mod, meet Blockbuster mod!

Blockbuster will let you capture some basic machinimas (without having to hire/organize crowd of actors and cameras), and create some scripted cinematics (simple yet) for your adventure maps.

My mod's player's capturing mod is based on Mocap's source code. Author of this mod gave me permission to use his code.

The instruction and all information about the mod is hosted here (I'll create video later):

https://github.com/mchorse/blockbuster/blob/master/README.md

Download mod jar and adventure map here:

https://github.com/mchorse/blockbuster/releases/tag/pre-1.0

I tested my mod on OS X 10.10, but it should work on Windows and *nix too.

What do you think? Any issues/errors/crashes with mod? Any suggestions (I have some list of ideas, so there's a lot of room to grow 8) )?

Thank you for attention! :)

P.S.: Pun intended.

Blockbuster – simple machinimas and cinematics for Minecraft

Hello!  Glad to see someone is still working on a Mocap mod.

I have a question:

Are you planning to go to 1.9.4 once you have things ironed out?

and a suggestion:

A flag in the /play command that, when set, makes the actor entity invulnerable.

Would be useful for preventing players from messing with a cutscene, or making recordings of a wizard or such walking through deadly things like lava.

Hello!  Glad to see someone is still working on a Mocap mod.

I have a question:

Are you planning to go to 1.9.4 once you have things ironed out?

Sure! Right now I'm working on a overview/tutorial video for my mod, and then I'll start working on support for 1.9.4. By the way, what is difference between 1.9 and 1.9.4? Is it performance mostly or there are some new features?

A flag in the /play command that, when set, makes the actor entity invulnerable.

Would be useful for preventing players from messing with a cutscene, or making recordings of a wizard or such walking through deadly things like lava.

Good idea, I'll add this feature. Done.

By the way, what is difference between 1.9 and 1.9.4? Is it performance mostly or there are some new features?

Well, according to the Minecraft wiki:

1.9.1 added elytra sound effects, the generic.armorToughness stat, and made the crosshair attack indicator visible by default, as well as other minor changes and bugfixes.

1.9.2 was released soon thereafter to fix a crash in 1.9.1, when riding boats and minecarts on Realms servers.

1.9.3 was released to fix several stability issues, add the /stopsound command, and to implement a blacklist for servers not in conformance with the Minecraft EULA.

1.9.4 was released soon thereafter to fix an erroneous Realms warning.

So it was a bit of both.

Glad to hear about the invulnerability.

Can Blockbuster record players using the Elytra?

Edit: it's really close to public release 1.0, first I'll publish the demo & tutorial video, and then release.

Great to hear!

I think I should tell you, I did load it into an Eclipse instance and play with it.

One of the things I tried doing was porting it to 1.9.4.

I appear to have succeeded, it's working properly.

Except that it won't build for me for some reason, the log seems to indicate that it's the § in ChatAction.  No idea what to do there.

I've put the source with my changes here so you can see what I did (I don't really know how to use Github, sorry):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58854535/src.zip

It was mostly name changes for functions and one field.

writeToNBT changed for tile entities, it needs to return an NBTTagCompound now. 

You might want to take a look at that, I'm not sure my solution to that change was the most elegant. (It seems to work though, it saved and loaded properly)

I am pretty much an amateur, after all.

I think I should tell you, I did load it into an Eclipse instance and play with it.

One of the things I tried doing was porting it to 1.9.4.

I appear to have succeeded, it's working properly.

Wow, that's great, means less work. :D

I don't really know how to use Github, sorry

It's totally fine.

I am pretty much an amateur, after all.

Hey, I'm amateur too, at least in Minecraft modding, I started one month ago :D

the log seems to indicate that it's the § in ChatAction

I did a little workaround to enable text formatting in chat while recording chat messages. When you type '[' it would be replaced as '§' and will allow to use minecraft text formatting. You have this problem in log, because, it seems to me, your eclipse doesn't do UTF (when I opened your zip, it had kind of this <?> (used to represent missing representation AFAIK) symbol).

Edit: Did some testing on 1.9.4, it's not fully ready, there's some corruption recording code, I'll work on it after release.

I did a little workaround to enable text formatting in chat while recording chat messages. When you type '[' it would be replaced as '§' and will allow to use minecraft text formatting. You have this problem in log, because, it seems to me, your eclipse doesn't do UTF (when I opened your zip, it had kind of this <?> (used to represent missing representation AFAIK) symbol).

Yeah, I figured out what it did pretty quickly.  I just couldn't understand why my eclipse/gradle didn't like it.

I did manage to make it work after looking at the encoding stuff, so thank you.

Edit: Did some testing on 1.9.4, it's not fully ready, there's some corruption recording code, I'll work on it after release.

Well, I'm still glad to have helped at all.

I look forward to the possibilities that will open up when the mod is ready.

Well, I'm still glad to have helped at all.

I look forward to the possibilities that will open up when the mod is ready.

Thank you! By the way, I've just figured out why there was the corruption with the recording code. Basically when I refactored action code, I forgot to override one method. In turn, the whole playback in those places were read wrong, so it was my fault. Right now everything should work as expected.

I'm planning to publish video and mod today or tomorrow (but not promising).

Edit: uploading video to YouTube, release really soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Update 1.1 is out! Change log:

– GUIs for director blocks

– Improved actor and camera configuration GUIs

– Extended place block action (and broke the compatibility with 1.0)

– Better camera model (IMO)

– Works on dedicated server (fix)

Download mod:

https://github.com/mchorse/blockbuster/releases/tag/1.1

Tutorial video:

• 4 weeks later...

Completely forgot to update this topic, sorry for that :D

Blockbuster 1.2 is out, and it adds better camera system which works way better than previous entity-like cameras. It is also integrated with director block.

Download link, video tutorial, and change log:

https://github.com/mchorse/blockbuster/releases/tag/1.2

• 1 month later...

Dang it, forgot to update this forum post again  :(

1.3 update was released. This update is focused on giving actors custom look. It introduces custom models and player morphing! It also changes the way director block works, making director map block useless (hence removed).  :D

This update supports both 1.9.4 and 1.10.2 versions.

YouTube tutorial link:

Download and change log link:

https://github.com/mchorse/blockbuster/releases/tag/1.3