[1.10.2] Can't get assets to work

asd123

I'm trying to follow this tutorial but I got stuck at the part where you assign a model and texture to an item and I need someone to take a look at my code. It doesn't throw any exceptions but I get the default texture either way.

What I see ingame:

https://i.imgur.com/PqBy2TR.png

Log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/163b6f63327650f71d46e6f77dc1bc09

Project structure:

https://i.imgur.com/emzcsry.png

Code:

https://github.com/asdf-mnbv/forge_src *

In your ItemRenderRegister.java

change line 16, Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory"));

into: ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation ( item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory") );

And make sure you're calling setCustomModelResourceLocation in or under preInit.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

In your ItemRenderRegister.java

change line 16, Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory"));

into: ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation ( item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory") );

That just gives me a NullPointerException:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6dad8bcf1012129230681d4276d0158c

And make sure you're calling setCustomModelResourceLocation in or under preInit.

That does, too:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/fdb196d7922b8d5a25fa15a3b088ae9f

I believe your assets should be in your resources folder, not java.

Can you post the full path the files should be in?

/forge/src/main/java/assets/mapoverlay/textures/item/tutorial_item.png

and

/forge/src/main/java/assets/mapoverlay/models/item/tutorial_item.json

are the only locations where the game will start without throwing any exceptions.

Here's the exception I'd get:

[22:16:04] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Max texture size: 16384
[22:16:04] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 16x16 textures-atlas
[22:16:05] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant mapoverlay:tutorial_item#inventory for item "mapoverlay:tutorial_item", normal location exception: 
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item with loader VanillaLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:317) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:170) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:147) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:122) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:540) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:386) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_91]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_91]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_91]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_91]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_91]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: mapoverlay:models/item/tutorial_item.json
at net.minecraft.client.resources.FallbackResourceManager.getResource(FallbackResourceManager.java:68) ~[FallbackResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.getResource(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:65) ~[simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadModel(ModelBakery.java:311) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.access$1100(ModelLoader.java:118) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:868) ~[ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
... 20 more
[22:16:05] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant mapoverlay:tutorial_item#inventory for item "mapoverlay:tutorial_item", blockstate location exception: 
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model mapoverlay:tutorial_item#inventory with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:325) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:170) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:147) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:122) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:540) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:386) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:78) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1183) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
... 20 more
[22:16:05] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Injecting itemstacks

Edit: I've moved the files to the path you posted and it's doing the same as in my original location, no exceptions but the assets don't show up.

Try changing

ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory"));

to

ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:tutorial_item", "inventory"));

Looking at a simple item I made, I didn't specify the "item/" in theModelResourceLocation call.

Alright, it's working now. Here's the summary for anyone coming from Google six months later:

* The call to ModItems.createItems() goes in CommonProxy.preInit(), the call to ItemRenderRegister.registerItemRenderer() goes in ClientProxy.init() after calling the base method.

* I completely missed something in createItems(), can you spot it?

(...)
    public static Item tutorialItem;

public static final void createItems() {
    	Item tutorialItem = new BasicItem("tutorial_item");
(...)

Fuck me ...

* Now the game would start up, but still displayed the error texture. Turns out that this code proposed upthread

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation ( item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:item/tutorial_item", "inventory") );

doesn't actually work, so I changed it back into the code based on the the tutorial and there you go, working model & texture:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher()
    .register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation("mapoverlay:tutorial_item", "inventory"));

• 6 months later...

I was stuck on same tutorial and came to here. What fixed it for me was making sure that ItemRenderRegister.registerItemRenderer()  was in preInit() under ClientProxy.java. And then I was able to follow as others suggested to use "ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation".

Thanks all for providing input, it definitely helps for others down the road.