[1.10.2] Custom Particles?

Draco18s

Anyone tried this yet?

Looks like vanilla's particles are all registered with a particle registry (

ParticleManager

and associated

EnumParticleTypes

), but I don't see any Forge hooks to register custom particles.

On top of that, the last time I played with particles, using a custom sprite (animated or otherwise) required binding a texture sheet and making sure that afterwards, you rebound vanilla's or things would break (vanilla particles would now be using the new texture sheet).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I have a working 1.10.2 Custom particle effect up and running, nothing much that I changed from 1.9.

Got a github?  The last time I did particles was 1.7 :P

Edit/Update:

Basically what I'm trying to do is recreate an effect I did several years ago:

https://github.com/Draco18s/Artifacts/blob/master/main/java/com/draco18s/artifacts/client/RadarParticle.java

The particle spawns at a block location, but renders over everything (due to using

GL11.glDepthFunc(GL11.GL_ALWAYS);

).

The problem I'm having now is that it doesn't seem to matter what I do with the VertexBuffer, I either crash the game because it's already drawing (ParticleLargeExplosion doesn't have this problem, I can't figure out why) or I get an Index Out of Range error when setting the first vertex position.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Sorry no github.

But I put it in a pastebin.

My first particle ever so.. ;)

Dont take the code to seriously because its an iteration of trial and error and much of the junk code are still there.

And a lot of stitching together what I could read about it.

http://pastebin.com/R6aFectz

And in my proxy:

ConsumeParticles particle = new ConsumeParticles(

entity.worldObj, 
    		entity.posX + entity.worldObj.rand.nextFloat() * entity.width 

* 2.0F - entity.width, 
                entity.posY + 0.5D + entity.worldObj.rand.nextFloat() 

* entity.height, 
                entity.posZ + entity.worldObj.rand.nextFloat() * entity.width 

* 2.0F - entity.width, 

targetX + 0.5, 

targetY + 1, 

targetZ + 0.5,10, col.toInt(),1F);

Minecraft.getMinecraft().effectRenderer.addEffect(particle);

Not all things in the world are red, there are round objects too!

Ah, you let the Particle class handle rendering.

Yeah, I need to set GL flags so that my particle renders on top of all other world objects (think vanilla's Glow effect for those new arrows).

Managing to make some progress on my own, extending

ParticleExplosionLarge

rather than

Particle

solved the inability to use the world renderer.  No idea why, as it doesn't do anything special, except that if I use its renderer and extend

Particle

things don't work.

Ah, you let the Particle class handle rendering.

Yeah, I need to set GL flags so that my particle renders on top of all other world objects (think vanilla's Glow effect for those new arrows).

Managing to make some progress on my own, extending

ParticleExplosionLarge

rather than

Particle

solved the inability to use the world renderer.  No idea why, as it doesn't do anything special, except that if I use its renderer and extend

Particle

things don't work.

Particles have had 3+ layers since they appeared in minecraft:

Layer 0: Uses own particle sprites to render

Layer 1: Uses the item/block sprites.

(There were separate sprites for items and blocks, so there was one more layer. This information might not be accurate)

Layer 3: Uses custom rendering. No sprites got bound on the render method.

It seems that default layer got changed from 3 to 0.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

Nevermind, I get it. I was missing something that hadn't been spelled out well.

When I went looking at the Explosion particle class, there it was.

public int getFXLayer()
    {
        return 3;
    }