Updating abandoned mod

QuigleyDownUnder

I have little knowledge of java and am attempting to update and improve Big Trees. I have permission from the original modder to do so. First time modding for minecraft and desire to see this mod in MC Version 1.10.2. After successfully updating and modifying the Big Trees mod to where i want it stable i am going to start a similar project for ores. Increase the number of ores that you get per block. But before i can do that i need to have a little knowledge in how to mod which is why i took on the Big Trees Mod. If you can help or send me in the proper direction i appreciate it.

1st. Do you know any Java if not learn Java first.

2nd. Post more specific questions please.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Oh that's fantastic! Big trees!?

You should look up how to make a big tree core mod :o

Oh, that would be amazing!

Then everyone would have trees!

Honestly you should stop he/she probably doesn't know that you are being sarcastic and if you aren't you should stop, because core mods are not supported by forge.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Not really looking to be cool , just looking to start modding to add my ideas to minecraft whether they be cool or not in the eyes of others.

Alright,

#1 Download the mdk.

#2 Unzip it into a folder.

#3 Make a New Text Document named "gradle.properties"

#4 inside it put "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx1300M"

#5 put that in the folder you extracted the mdk in.

#6 open build.gradle and make sure after your last line it looks like this:

// copy everything else, thats not the mcmod.info
    from(sourceSets.main.resources.srcDirs) {
        exclude 'mcmod.info'
    }
}
sourceCompatibility = 1.8
targetCompatibility = 1.8

#7 Shift right click in the folder you did this all in and open command prompt

#8 gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

#9 gradlew eclipse

#10 I have wrote an example mod for you that features an example tab, example item, example entity. Delete the src that came with the mdk, and insert this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/npqsjfyga587vyq/examplemodsrc.7z?dl=0

#11 open up the eclipse folder you extracted from the mdk with eclipse like you would a workspace.

#12 have fun

#13 gradlew build

to find what you built, -->build-->libs

#14 rename, drag and drop into the "mods" folder

Honestly, it took me quite a while after I started modding to even realize these forums exist. I'm surprised you found this place to post a question to before finding a modding tutorial video on the internet.

- Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they can't be the way you want them to be. Unless they're aspen trees. You can tell they're aspens 'cause the way they are.

Honestly, it took me quite a while after I started modding to even realize these forums exist. I'm surprised you found this place to post a question to before finding a modding tutorial video on the internet.

I had to learn by frustratingly watching mcrayfish youtube videos. (which did not pay off and confused the daylights out of me)

At the start of this year I knew no java whatsoever. The little I know now I have learned from playing minecraft, messing around on forge, and pestering people on here. Good place to learn.