[1.10.2] Complex Variants

Draco18s

So, I'm trying to puzzle out how to do what I want.

I have a block with two properties:

A 8-state enum type and a boolean.

There are 10 "valid" states as far as what will appear in the world.  The boolean is false for all 8 enum states and true for two of them.  This allows my custom flower plant to exist as a 2-high block for two of the flower types, but not for the other six.

Currently I have this blockstate, which...works, but I can't figure out how to specify that the "flower_stalk=true" texture is dependent on the "flower_type" value as well.

I tried doing this as a vanilla variants list and the program just vomited garbage (the variants loaded in as a single variant that was something like "flower_stalk=true,flower_type=poorjoe,flower_type=horsetail,flower_type=vallozia,flower_type=flame_lily,flower_type=tansy,flower_type=hauman,flower_type=leadplant,flower_type=primrose".  Removing the forge_flag left me with an empty variants list.

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "defaults": {
        "textures": {
        },
        "model": "oreflowers:flower",
        "uvlock": true
    },
    "variants": {
        "normal": [{
            "model": "item/generated"
        }],
        "inventory": [{
        }],
         "flower_type": {
            "poorjoe":    { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/poorjoe"} },
            "horsetail":  { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/horsetail"} },
            "vallozia":   { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/vallozia"} },
            "flame_lily": { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/flame_lily"} },
            "tansy":      { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/tansy"} },
            "hauman":     { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/hauman"} },
            "leadplant":  { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/leadplant"} },
            "primrose":   { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/primrose"} }
        },
        "flower_stalk": {
            "true":{ "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/flame_lily1"} },
            "false":{}
        }
    }
}

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

As far as I am aware, the forge blockstate format does not support variants that have two conditions. This is based on my understanding of the Forge Blockstate V1 specs. What you can do is use an IStateMapper to instruct MC to use a different blockstate .json under certain conditions. I would advise overriding

StateMapperBase#getModelResourceLocation(IBlockState state) 

rather than implementing

IStateMapper#putStateModelLocations(Block blockIn)

. Once you have created the

IStateMapper

, you need to register it using

ModelLoader.setCustomStateMapper()

Do you have an example somewhere?

It seems to generate a map that doesn't match what I'm telling it to do, but when I debug my StateMapper, it generates exactly what I want it to find in the json files.

Matching A to B:

Capture.png

Generating statemap:

(default statemap, for comparison)

Capture3.png

(actual generated)

Capture2.png

StateMapper:

package com.draco18s.flowers.states;

import java.util.Map;
import java.util.Map.Entry;

import com.draco18s.hardlib.blockproperties.Props;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.properties.IProperty;
import net.minecraft.block.state.IBlockState;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.statemap.DefaultStateMapper;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.statemap.StateMapperBase;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;

public class StateMapperFlowers extends StateMapperBase {
private final IProperty type_prop;

public StateMapperFlowers(IProperty prop) {
	type_prop = prop;
}

@Override
protected ModelResourceLocation getModelResourceLocation(IBlockState state) {
	ModelResourceLocation def = _getModelResourceLocation(state); //for debug purposes
	ResourceLocation loc;
	if(state.getValue(Props.FLOWER_STALK)) {
		loc = new ResourceLocation(state.getBlock().getRegistryName() + "_tall");
	}
	else {
		loc = (ResourceLocation)Block.REGISTRY.getNameForObject(state.getBlock());
	}

String str = type_prop.getName() + "=" + type_prop.getName(state.getValue(type_prop));
	ModelResourceLocation p = new ModelResourceLocation(loc, str);
	return p;
}

private ModelResourceLocation _getModelResourceLocation(IBlockState state) {
	return new ModelResourceLocation((ResourceLocation)Block.REGISTRY.getNameForObject(state.getBlock()), this.getPropertyString(state.getProperties()));
    }
}

This is with a blockstate json that does not contain the boolean property.

If I add the boolean property the "flower_stalk" placement reverses!  It's in the definition#mapvariants but not in the variant string:

variant
with stalk in json | oreflowers:oreflowers1_tall#flower_type=poorjoe
no stalk in json   | oreflowers:oreflowers1#flower_stalk=true,flower_type=poorjoe

definition#mapvariants
with stalk in json | flower_stalk=true,flower_type=poorjoe
no stalk in json   | flower_type=poorjoe

...Also, how do I get this block to be 2D when it is an item/inhand?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

You can either create a new parent-json that inverts what block-all/block-cross does and use that for the item-block model, or the easier method, simply not use the block-model as a parent, and instead have it render the .png directly, like this:

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
        "layer0": "underworld:items/sugarbeet"
    }
}

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

You can either create a new parent-json that inverts what block-all/block-cross does and use that for the item-block model, or the easier method, simply not use the block-model as a parent, and instead have it render the .png directly, like this:

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
        "layer0": "underworld:items/sugarbeet"
    }
}

But I need it to be both.  In the world it needs to be block-cross, in-hand it needs to be item/generated.

Only your java needs to parse the details of the state's properties. The blockstates JSON file can be presented with integers 1-10 if you like. Remember the "getActual..." method and that you can hide properties from blockstates. You have a lot of flexibility to know what you need to know in your own code while presenting a concise list to the renderer.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Remember the "getActual..." method and that you can hide properties from blockstates.

I don't want to hide the property.  It's a valid state that effects the block's texture, but only under some circumstances.

Can you post the new blockstate .json please?

Two files:

oreflowers1.json

{
        },
    },
        }],
        }],
            "flame_lily": { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/flame_lily"} },
            "tansy":      { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/tansy"} },
        }
    }
}

oreflowers1_tall.json

{
        },
    },
        }],
        }],
            "flame_lily": { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/flame_lily1"} },
            "tansy":      { "textures": { "cross": "oreflowers:items/tansy1"} },
        }
    }
}

Yes, there is a 2-character difference between the files because only the two states matter.

I have discovered that going to sleep and waking up in the morning fixes a lot of problems.

It now mostly works.

width=800 height=449https://s18.postimg.org/gdfc69nu1/2016_10_03_12_25_36.png[/img]

Now the item renderer is broke.

Edit:

Solved.  Just had to override getPropertyString in the StateMapper and create another EasyRegistry method to handle using the custom mapper rather than the default state mapper when registering the itemblock renderers.

They're still faux-3D though:

https://s18.postimg.org/4m2v6w2nd/2016_10_03_13_01_36.png

I can think of two solutions to this:

1. Use item/generated as the default model and specify oreflowers:flower as the model in each variant.

2. Create a separate item model .json. When Forge looks for an item model, it checks assets/<modid>/models/item first; if no model is found there, it checks assets/<modid>/blockstates. The MC wiki has a comprehensive article on block models, item models and blockstates here. Additionally you can look at the vanilla models.

Solution 1: didn't work (still faux 3D)

Solution 2: item/block is invisible (no error)