[1.10.2] Water (Liquid) Block Model?

Draco18s

So in 1.7 I had this block:

http://reasonable-realism.wikia.com/wiki/Early_Tech#Sluice

width=220 height=124http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/reasonable-realism/images/f/f9/2014-11-28_16.38.28.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/220?cb=20150204202209[/img]

Even in 1.7 this was a bitch to accomplish, as I wanted the water stream to degrade from "full block" to "1/16th" over the course of 4 blocks (rather than 7) so I had to extract the water rendering code and adjust the values so that the four corners were where I wanted them.

I literally have no idea how to make this work with the json model system and in fact cannot find the water/lava block models (assuming there even are any).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Vanilla liquids bypass the baked model system, they're rendered by

BlockFluidRenderer

. Forge provides the

ModelFluid

model (

forge:fluid

) to render modded fluid blocks with the baked model system.

If you extend

BlockFluidBase

, you can probably override

BlockFluidBase#getFluidHeightForRender

to control the render height.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

The block isn't actually a fluid.  It just displays water running over it as if it was submerged.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

The block isn't actually a fluid.  It just displays water running over it as if it was submerged.

You should still be able to use

ModelFluid

for non-fluid blocks, you just need to provide the

BlockFluidBase.FLUID_RENDER_PROPS

unlisted properties.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I'll give that a shot.  Eventually.

(It's not a block I look forward to having to remake)

Forge provides the

ModelFluid

model (

What properties/elements does it have?  I cannot find this model in the assets so I am unsure what I need to supply in terms of textures.

The model loader also does not like the variants I tried to specify in my blockstate json. (see edit)

I also wish to render a bottom piece, like carpet, under the water (textured like planks).  Can I add an elements object?

Edit:

I had malformed json (somehow the json plugin did not detect this).  However upon fixing, it still throws "missing variants" exceptions but does load up a model in-game.

Forge provides the

ModelFluid

model (

What properties/elements does it have?  I cannot find this model in the assets so I am unsure what I need to supply in terms of textures.

The model loader also does not like the variants I tried to specify in my blockstate json. (see edit)

I also wish to render a bottom piece, like carpet, under the water (textured like planks).  Can I add an elements object?

Edit:

I had malformed json (somehow the json plugin did not detect this).  However upon fixing, it still throws "missing variants" exceptions but does load up a model in-game.

It doesn't exist as a file in the assets, the quads are generated by

ModelFluid

at runtime. It implements

IModelCustomData

, which means that it accepts custom data from the blockstates file (via the

"custom"

object). The only key it uses in this data is

"fluid"

, which is the name of the fluid to render (this controls the textures and whether it's rendered as a gas). If you don't specify this, it defaults to water.

You can see the blockstates file I use for my fluids here.

If you post the full log with the exceptions, I may be able to tell you why they were thrown.

basic_sluice.json

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "defaults": {
        "textures": {
            "particle": "blocks/planks_oak"
        },
        "model": "forge:fluid",
        "uvlock": false
    },
    "variants": {
        "normal": [{

}],
        "inventory": [{

}],
        "facing": {
            "north": { },
            "sorth": { },
            "east": { },
            "west": { }
        },
        "level": {
            "0": { },
            "1": { },
            "2": { },
            "3": { }
        }
    }
}

log:

[11:24:10] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=0 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=0]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=0 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.registerVariant(ModelLoader.java:241) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadBlock(ModelBakery.java:145) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadBlocks(ModelLoader.java:229) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:146) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:122) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:540) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:386) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_101]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_101]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_101]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_101]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_101]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:78) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1184) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
... 21 more
[11:24:10] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=1 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=1]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=1 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.registerVariant(ModelLoader.java:241) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadBlock(ModelBakery.java:145) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadBlocks(ModelLoader.java:229) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:146) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:122) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:540) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:78) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1184) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
... 21 more
[11:24:10] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=2 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=2]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=2 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
... 21 more
[11:24:10] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=3 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=3]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=3 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
... 21 more
[11:24:10] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Injecting itemstacks
[11:24:10] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Itemstack injection complete
[11:24:11] [Client thread/INFO] [customoregen]: Loading global config 'C:\Users\Major\Desktop\MinecraftTools\MinecraftModding\forge 2094\run\config\CustomOreGen' ...
[11:24:11] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Forge Mod Loader has successfully loaded 8 mods
[11:24:11] [Client thread/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default, FMLFileResourcePack:Forge Mod Loader, FMLFileResourcePack:Minecraft Forge, FMLFileResourcePack:OreFlowers, FMLFileResourcePack:HardLib, FMLFileResourcePack:ExpandedIndustry, FMLFileResourcePack:HarderOres, FMLFileResourcePack:CustomOreGen
[11:24:14] [Client thread/INFO]: SoundSystem shutting down...
[11:24:14] [Client thread/WARN]: Author: Paul Lamb, www.paulscode.com
[11:24:14] [sound Library Loader/INFO]: Starting up SoundSystem...
[11:24:14] [Thread-10/INFO]: Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
[11:24:14] [Thread-10/INFO]: (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
[11:24:14] [Thread-10/INFO]: OpenAL initialized.
[11:24:15] [sound Library Loader/INFO]: Sound engine started
[11:24:17] [Client thread/INFO] [FML]: Max texture size: 16384
[11:24:18] [Client thread/WARN]: Texture oreflowers:textures/items/sticky_goo.png with size 12x12 will have visual artifacts at mip level 4, it can only support level 2. Please report to the mod author that the texture should be some multiple of 16x16.
[11:24:18] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 1024x512 textures-atlas
[11:24:18] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=0 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=0]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=0 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.notifyReloadListeners(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:132) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.reloadResources(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:113) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.refreshResources(Minecraft.java:799) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:340) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:561) [Minecraft.class:?]
... 24 more
[11:24:18] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=1 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=1]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=1 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.notifyReloadListeners(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:132) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.reloadResources(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:113) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.refreshResources(Minecraft.java:799) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:340) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:561) [Minecraft.class:?]
... 24 more
[11:24:18] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=2 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=2]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=2 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
... 24 more
[11:24:18] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=3 for blockstate "harderores:basic_sluice[facing=south,level=3]"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model harderores:basic_sluice#facing=south,level=3 with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
... 24 more

Still though, is there a way to render some other block elements as well?

It's not very obvious, but the oak planks here on the bottom under the water are also part of my block's rendering and are 1/16th of a block thick, not an oak plank block under my block.  If you look at the left edge you can see that the edge is slightly raised.

You can combine quads of 2 models, if you create a custom

IBakedModel

First, create 2 model jsons - main one for fluid (should be the one loaded by mc) and one for other things.

Subscribe to

ModelBakeEvent

, retrieve fluid base model from registry with resource location. Now load your second model (with carpets, blanks and stuff). Then you take these 2 models and pass them to your own

IBakedModel

. In your custom model, implement methods by redirecting to one of models. As for

getQuads

, create a list and add all quads from

getQuads

for both models. Now, you just have to replace fluid model in registry with custom one, a bit of debugging and it should work.

I wrote a system that does that, though it may be too much for your needs (it allows per vertex modification), which you can find here.

Noted for later.

Struggling through getting the liquid portion to do what I want (slowly, oh so slowly).

At the moment 3 facings work correctly, south doesn't. Nevermind, I had "sorth" in my blockstate file.  I'm an idiot.

Next step is to get the water level working at the desired heights. @..@

Ok, back to this.

retrieve fluid base model from registry with resource location

Questions:

1) Am I registering the block with a model as normal, then that model gets loaded and baked, then retrieve it?

2) How do I tell the model registry to use my new baked model?

I took a look at your repo, but I couldn't find where you actually do this stuff (I found your @SubscribeEvent handler, but it made calls off to arbitrary objects via an API, so I couldn't follow what it did).

1) Am I registering the block with a model as normal, then that model gets loaded and baked, then retrieve it?

Yes.

2) How do I tell the model registry to use my new baked model?

registry.putObject

with the same model location you retrieved it with.

Note: i remember in some dev versions of forge, it did not allow me to replace it. If that's the case, rename your main model something else and load it manually.

I took a look at your repo, but I couldn't find where you actually do this stuff (I found your @SubscribeEvent handler, but it made calls off to arbitrary objects via an API, so I couldn't follow what it did).

I was using it previously, but not anymore (it will take me some time to find this deleted piece of code).

And yes, it is hard to find stuff there without knowing. Meanwhile, i found where i use this method to register custom model, though i don't retrive one.

Mucho gracias.

width=800 height=449https://s17.postimg.org/5c7zad6lb/2016_10_09_18_03_42.png[/img]

Need to create a bottom model now (the carpet is placeholder; just wanted something about the right height that already existed).

Last question:

How to I register a model that isn't associated with a block?

Mucho gracias.

width=800 height=449https://s17.postimg.org/5c7zad6lb/2016_10_09_18_03_42.png[/img]

Need to create a bottom model now (the carpet is placeholder; just wanted something about the right height that already existed).

Last question:

How to I register a model that isn't associated with a block?

You have to load it yourself. I have a model loader helper class here.

If your model is static (aka one model for all states), you can load and bake it once and then forget about it (in this case, the entire class is not needed). Otherwise, you'll need to load each model separetly. If you have nig amount of models, that's where caching comes in.

If you use this class, remember to register it in client proxy as reload listener.

WARNING: If you DON'T use textures already used by other block or item, you have to map them to atlas yourself too. To do that, subscribe to

TextureStitchEvent.Pre

, load (don't bake)

IModel

and retrive & register all it's textures.

You have to load it yourself. I have a model loader helper class here.

Oh sweet. That's exactly what I needed.  Hell, I'd have been sufficed with

ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel( location );

and been left to figure the rest out.  THAT is the class I could not find out about.

WARNING

Naw, we good.  Oak planks.