Setting up Forge to Develop Forge

Draco18s

"Just clone, download, and run setup!" it says.

Clone. Easy.

Run setup. Ok, had to install git first (as in actual git). Fine.

Point eclipse at the eclipse folder in the project.  Uh...what eclipse folder?

"Here's a video of CPW doing it with IntelliJ"

Fine, lets try IntelliJ.  Downloaded, installed, project cloned, and...

gradle.png

FML.

I can't configure the project the way CPW says ("use default") because it's not available, but then my "use local" settings are incomplete and I don't know what the right values are (including JAVA_HOME not being set and no option to configure it, WTF?)

Fixed JAVA_HOME myself, still don't know the gradle path, so I tired using the "use gradle wrapper task configuration."

width=699 height=155https://s11.postimg.org/jdyzigfgj/no_file.png[/img]

The /fml folder is 100% empty.  Not that I know why it wants the 1.7.10 json for anyway.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Fuck if I know.  IntelliJ's "clone from Github" only selects a project.

git.png

I had to delete the local Idea Project to get that, figured for shits and giggles I'll check later screens.

Downloads...creates a project...and gets a dozen steps farther than last time.  All the way in to being able to view source code and I still have no idea which branch its on.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

You do know you can just use git from the command line, too, right? :)

Only in the general sense.  Doesn't mean I know what I'm doing.

But you can find the branch in the lower-right corner:

IpYdgxW.png

Ah. Thanks.

I don't use IntelliJ.  I like Eclipse.

And....

I now have a project that has lots of source code for Forge, but none of the patches made to vanilla and in fact, no vanilla source either (opening up a class file largely at random IntelliJ takes a minute aftewards going "hold on, I can't resolve these references" and the entire scrollbar goes red).

I'm trying really hard not to fall back on coremodding because that's not the way things should be done, but instead, writing a PR for a new event in the place I want it to do what it needs to so that I can interrupt/modify vanilla behavior.

All I can say is try to re-run the setup task from inside IntelliJ...

Wha..?

How?

There's no "tasks" from that icon.

I did find Window -> Background Tasks, which says "no active background tasks."

Yes, I definitely switched to the 1.10 branch.

Importing a new project and pointing at the build.gradle file didn't actually ask me if I wanted to reuse the project. It just opened.  But it appears to have opened things in a "file only" mode rather than a project. e.g. I can browse the source files but they're not treated as code, just files that contains text.

Still no background tasks.

You said "tasks list" not "gradle."  There was no "tasks list" in the lower left but there was a "gradle."  I did not know I had to open the gradle window before being able to find tasks.

Reopened the project that actually was a project and yes, I have the gradle tasks list.

Now what?

I was intending for you to look at the image in my spoiler, with the red arrows :P

You run the setup task.

They were hard to see in the scaled down one, and in the scaled up one it was cut off and I only saw the lower left one.

See, because I hadn't seen them, I didn't think to. >.>

Anyway, setup is running now.

I'm not even sure this is worth doing as it feels like every PR I make (that isn't outright rejected for inane reasons) is just ignored.  Like this one, which is literally stopping me from updating a mod.

Sigh.

Ok, now what?

great.png

It unhelpfully marked this task as having had an error, but displays no details anywhere that I can find.

Press this button to switch to the console output:

Impenetrable UI is impenetrable.

:decompileJar FAILED

Daemon stopping because JVM tenured space is exhausted

As for PRs: Keep bumping them ;)

By doing what? Just posting "bump" in the comments?

Impenetrable UI is impenetrable.
You get used to it. Don't tell me eclipse is any better than this.

In Eclipse the most inane thing I've found is that in order to search the entire project for a text string I need to have that text string highlighted in an open file.

Nearly everything else can be found in a context menu or one of the top row menus.

Well, ok, I had to set up my own hot keys to quickly switch back from Debug Perspective to Java, but still.  It's not like that was hard to figure out.  IntelliJ acts like it doesn't have tooltips on things.  Seriously, the delay on the tooltips for the various icons is like 5 seconds.  Every other program in existence uses something close to a half or a quarter of a second.

Setup finished, but I still have no access to vanilla files.

Fuck it.

Nuked everything, started over.

Ran setup via command prompt, got an eclipse folder this time.

Only problem...all the net.minecraftforge packages are missing.  The complete reverse of what I was getting with IntelliJ

forge.png

The hell?