Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[POLL] Do you want official modding tutorials for forge, including syntax, etc?

Matrixmage

Okay, whilst I agree some more official documentation would be helpful for getting people started with using forge to make mods, but I wouldn't go so far as to have the team taking time from developing forge, to make tutorials on how to use it. Especially since Minecraft and Forge are currently in constant development it would just be too much of a burden that I'd want to ask from them.

I'm no expert with Minecraft code, Forge or even Java for that matter but I've put effort into learning what I could from reading the tutorials, the javadocs and even browsing code from open source mods on Github; It hasn't been easy at times to understand some things but I've always felt accomplished when I finally figure something out.

Better tutorials will come about (there are already good things on the wiki and forums), they'll be updated as things go along.

Maybe you guys will even be the ones to write them?

Modding Minecraft feels like what playing Minecraft for the first few times did to me;

Exploration, experimentation, entertaining and exciting... Exception being that no creepers have blown up my code, yet :D

No, I'm not gunna write tutorials, nore am I gunna police the tutorials. If you see a tutorial that is wrong, fix it. Not my issue to deal with.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/lexmanos
Paypal: http://paypal.me/LexManos

BitCoin: 1Q8rWvUNMM2T1ZfDaFeeYQyVXtYoeT6tTn

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• This is what I have for two ModelFiles, the first only applying one overlay and the second apply the first overlay + another. public ModelFile scuffedWarenaiBlockModel(Block block) { return models().getBuilder("scuffed_" + name(block)) .parent(existingMcModel("block")) .texture("particle", warenaiBlockTexture(block)) .texture("underlay", warenaiBlockTexture(block)) .texture("overlay", scuffedTexture()) .element().from(0, 0, 0).to(16, 16, 16).allFaces((direction, faceBuilder) -> faceBuilder.uvs(0, 0, 16, 16).texture("#underlay").cullface(direction)).end() .element().from(0, 0, 0).to(16, 16, 16).allFaces((direction, faceBuilder) -> faceBuilder.uvs(0, 0, 16, 16).texture("#overlay").cullface(direction)).end(); } public ModelFile crackedWarenaiBlockModel(Block block, int crackedLevel) { return models().getBuilder("cracked" + crackedLevel + "_" + name(block)) .parent(existingMcModel("block")) .texture("particle", warenaiBlockTexture(block)) .texture("underlay", warenaiBlockTexture(block)) .texture("overlay1", scuffedTexture()) .texture("overlay2", crackedTexture(crackedLevel)) .element().from(0, 0, 0).to(16, 16, 16).allFaces((direction, faceBuilder) -> faceBuilder.uvs(0, 0, 16, 16).texture("#underlay").cullface(direction)).end() .element().from(0, 0, 0).to(16, 16, 16).allFaces((direction, faceBuilder) -> faceBuilder.uvs(0, 0, 16, 16).texture("#overlay1").cullface(direction)).end() .element().from(0, 0, 0).to(16, 16, 16).allFaces((direction, faceBuilder) -> faceBuilder.uvs(0, 0, 16, 16).texture("#overlay2").cullface(direction)).end(); }   This works, but it doesn't seem so simple for a stair block.  I copied the stair stuff from the forge BlockStateProvider class to get started with a normal stair model that works:  public void warenaiStairBlock(StairsBlock block, ResourceLocation texture) { warenaiStairBlockInternal1(block, texture, texture, texture); } public void warenaiStairBlockInternal1(StairsBlock block, ResourceLocation side, ResourceLocation bottom, ResourceLocation top) { warenaiStairBlockInternal2(block, block.getRegistryName().toString(), side, bottom, top); } public void warenaiStairBlockInternal2(StairsBlock block, String baseName, ResourceLocation side, ResourceLocation bottom, ResourceLocation top) { ModelFile normal_stairs = models().stairs(baseName, side, bottom, top); ModelFile normal_stairsInner = models().stairsInner(baseName + "_inner", side, bottom, top); ModelFile normal_stairsOuter = models().stairsOuter(baseName + "_outer", side, bottom, top); warenaiStairsBlock(block, normal_stairs, normal_stairsInner, normal_stairsOuter); } public void warenaiStairsBlock(StairsBlock block, ModelFile stairs, ModelFile stairsInner, ModelFile stairsOuter) { getVariantBuilder(block) .forAllStatesExcept(state -> { Direction facing = state.getValue(StairsBlock.FACING); Half half = state.getValue(StairsBlock.HALF); StairsShape shape = state.getValue(StairsBlock.SHAPE); int yRot = (int) facing.getClockWise().toYRot(); // Stairs model is rotated 90 degrees clockwise for some reason yRot %= 360; boolean uvlock = yRot != 0 || half == Half.TOP; // Don't set uvlock for states that have no rotation ModelFile shapeDependentModel = shape == StairsShape.STRAIGHT ? stairs : shape == StairsShape.INNER_LEFT || shape == StairsShape.INNER_RIGHT ? stairsInner : stairsOuter; if (shape == StairsShape.INNER_LEFT || shape == StairsShape.OUTER_LEFT) { yRot += 270; // Left facing stairs are rotated 90 degrees clockwise } if (shape != StairsShape.STRAIGHT && half == Half.TOP) { yRot += 90; // Top stairs are rotated 90 degrees clockwise } return ConfiguredModel.builder() .modelFile(shapeDependentModel) .rotationX(half == Half.BOTTOM ? 0 : 180) .rotationY(yRot) .uvLock(uvlock) .build(); }, StairsBlock.WATERLOGGED); }   Now I have no idea where to go. I could take the time and figure it out all on my own, but since I really should be working on a college essay I thought I would see if anyone else knew what to do first. If not, then I will just do it myself when I get the time.
    • O well i tried to fix a bug in the stone age mod and my plan failed after trying to insert the json directly into the jar.
  • Topics

• Who's Online (See full list)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.