[SOLVED!] how to use addSubstitutionAlias ?

trollworkout

I tried creating my own block then addSubstitutionAlias but it keeps telling me null pointer exception whenever I try to register the model.

Maybe the model does not require registering??

Seems like if I copy and paste all the blockstate and model json files over from MC to my game then simply set unlocalized name and registry name same as minecraft it works. Im confused if this is actually working or just trolling me.

DO I need to register BOTH block and it's itemblock?

Disclaimer:  I been told to keep my opinions to myself, to shut up and that I am spreading lies and misinformation or even that my methods are unorthodox and or too irregular. Here are my suggestions take it or leave it.

Hey thank you for your help. I did that and it seems to appear twice.

Oops I meant to say substitute it, though I don't know if that will work? (Never done any substituting, at least while the system is working).

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

I'm pretty sure you are right because it seems block and item are tied in. You can't just replace one without the other.

I just now need to figure out why it appears twice and why is using vanilla blockstate and model  instead of my own.

Disclaimer:  I been told to keep my opinions to myself, to shut up and that I am spreading lies and misinformation or even that my methods are unorthodox and or too irregular. Here are my suggestions take it or leave it.

I'm pretty sure you are right because it seems block and item are tied in. You can't just replace one without the other.

I just now need to figure out why it appears twice and why is using vanilla blockstate and model  instead of my own.

Did you set the model location with ModelLoader?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(ModItems.CAULDRON, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(ModBlocks.CAULDRON.getRegistryName(), "variants")); 

like that

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(ModItems.CAULDRON, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(ModBlocks.CAULDRON.getRegistryName(), "variants")); 

like that

Could you post all relevant code or better yet github link?

Here is my project

https://github.com/trollworkout/technorcery/tree/master/src/main/java/com/technorcery

my blocks are in ModBlocks

https://github.com/trollworkout/technorcery/blob/master/src/main/java/com/technorcery/common/ModBlocks.java

items here

https://github.com/trollworkout/technorcery/blob/master/src/main/java/com/technorcery/common/ModItems.java

my models are here

https://github.com/trollworkout/technorcery/blob/master/src/main/java/com/technorcery/client/ModelsHandler.java

Essentially I'm doing this in my blocks

define my custom cauldron

public static final Block CAULDRON = new Cauldron().setUnlocalizedName("cauldron").setRegistryName("cauldron");

then in preInit i register it like this

try {

GameRegistry.addSubstitutionAlias("cauldron", GameRegistry.Type.BLOCK, CAULDRON);

} catch (ExistingSubstitutionException e) {

e.printStackTrace();

throw new RuntimeException(e);

}

then in models later in pre init() i register like so

This should replace the block with my block with my own custom model and everything. But it doesn't!

Maybe because I still need to GameRegistry.register(CAULDRON) ? Not sure

OK so an alias substitution is like registering it so it won't work if I register then alias it.

I think the substitution alias thing is still broken since long time ago.

No, CPW, and Lex have both said that it works.

Yeah I dunno keeps giving me null pointer to Item.getItemFromBlock(replacement_block) AFTER I set both up with addSubstituteAlias

Try moving your blockstate file. To a folder called minecraft (where your modid would be), but in your project. IE assets.minecraft.blockstates, but inside your project. Instead of assets.modid.blockstates. Item.getItemFromBlock doesn't respect substitution aliasing.

Try moving your blockstate file. To a folder called minecraft (where your modid would be), but in your project. IE assets.minecraft.blockstates, but inside your project. Instead of assets.modid.blockstates. Item.getItemFromBlock doesn't respect substitution aliasing.

Gotcha Im gonna try that.

Seems the reason is failing is this .setRegistryName("cauldron")  and this Item.getItemFromBlock

Seems the reason is failing is this .setRegistryName("cauldron")  and this Item.getItemFromBlock

The setRegistryName should be fine, but Item.getItemFromBlock doesn't respect aliasing it only accesses the registry data and not the aliasing data.

My testing code...

Block block = null;
	Item item = null;
	try {
		block = new BlockCauldron().setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation("wr", "cauldron"));
		item = new ItemBlockSpecial(block).setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation("wr", "cauldron"));
		GameRegistry.addSubstitutionAlias("minecraft:cauldron", Type.BLOCK, block);
		GameRegistry.addSubstitutionAlias("minecraft:cauldron", Type.ITEM, item);
	} catch (ExistingSubstitutionException e) {
		e.printStackTrace();
	}

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 1, new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(ModReference.MODID, "cauldron"), "inventory"));

Oh man I'm gonna go to sleep I been up since this morning and last few hours been trying to figure this out with no hope. Im gonna try your code idea first thing in the morning. Thank you so far. All I need is to get this working once.

Oh man I'm gonna go to sleep I been up since this morning and last few hours been trying to figure this out with no hope. Im gonna try your code idea first thing in the morning. Thank you so far. All I need is to get this working once.

Use your public static final variables instead of my in method variables and note "wr" is the modid, and the meta of 1 is incorrect use 0. You should really try the...

Try moving your blockstate file. To a folder called minecraft (where your modid would be), but in your project. IE assets.minecraft.blockstates, but inside your project. Instead of assets.modid.blockstates.

SO I confirm that the item replacement seems to work  somewhat (shows up twice still) but the block replacement does not.

Also an odd thing if I set no creative tab  or a creative tab and no unlocalized it won't show up. But if i set both creative and unlocalized i shows up twice.

it seems addSubsititutionAlias("cauldorn" or addSubsititutionAlias("minecraft:cauldorn" is same thing

OK so from my test there seems to be no direct way to change a block. You can only change the block item and the block associated with it but the block itself is not changeable.

So if I wanna replace all vanilla Cauldrons that are to be pre-placed in the game I cannot. I can only replace the item you craft and the block associated with it.

For ex I made the cauldron places a steam boiler (custom block i made) but I cannot make already existing Cauldron automatically become Seam boilers.

According to the description it says it replaces all references of one block/item with another. I was wondering WHY you want me to replace both item and block??  I just need to change the block only.

Maybe the function works differently than it says. it does not replace one block reference with the other but in fact it simply replaces the output on the  item on the crafting table  thus replacing the block associated with it.

This means the block DID NOT get replaced with my block. Since what you are doing her eis replacing the vanilla block's model. This is a method done in a resource pack. My block sohuld have my own model refs and blockstate and the alias method should (based on description) completely replace a vanilla block for my block including my own model, lang , blockstate etc.  So this should not be necessary if it actually did work.

I'm probably doing it badly or is broken (again)

OK sorry for the spam.

SO I went back to my original idea of replacing block only and this time it worked!

Of course already existing preplaced Cauldrons are vanilla but any new ones I manually place change to my block. See no need to replace item. So the function IS working is just I don't know how to use it. The problem now is my block does not have any model and I think that may be due to cauldron having extra properties which need to be ignored.

OK so I kinda figured this out  but I am still trying to figure out how to set the model however I am VERY close.

I noticed nobody sets the registry name on a block that you wanna use as a substitute so I did the same.

I removed setRegistryName

Once I did that I could see right away that all blocks of that type got changed to my block (although still no texture). So this does not just replace new blocks but ALL instances of the block or item including anything pre-placed.