Muliple blocks using the same blockstate ?

Franckyi

Hi

I'm developing a mod that will contain a lot of texture variations of the same block.

The way I'm doing this isn't good, I mean it's VERY long to copy, paste and rename the .json blockstate files for each block variation. So, I know it's possible to have multiple blocks using the same blockstate JSON file, but I don't know how to do this. I'm a beginner at modding (I'm OK with Java).

All my files can be found here : https://github.com/Franckyi/Roads

Can someone help me ?

[EDIT] I'm using 1.10.2 version of Minecraft and 2099 version of Forge.

[EDIT2] In the Github repository, I haven't done all the .json files for the "LineSolid" variations of the blocks.

Ok, but then :

I have to register my Block (and my ItemBlock) only one time for all variants ?

If true, I don't know how to set up the constructor of my Block.

I explain :

The Block that I create has 3 properties : the Color, the State and the Extra. All those properties are in basic enums.

This is how I was creating all my blocks before :

package com.franckyi.roads.blocks;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import com.franckyi.roads.Reference;
import com.franckyi.roads.RoadsMod;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;

public class BlockAsphalt extends Block {

public BlockAsphalt(AsphaltBlockColor color, AsphaltBlockState state, AsphaltBlockExtra extra) {
	super(Material.ROCK);
	setUnlocalizedName(
			Reference.RoadsBlocks.ASPHALT.getUnlocalizedName() + color.color + state.state + extra.extra);
	setRegistryName(Reference.RoadsBlocks.ASPHALT.getRegistryName() + color.color + state.state + extra.extra);
	setCreativeTab(RoadsMod.tab);
}

public static List<Block> getAllBlocks() {
	List<Block> list = new ArrayList<Block>();
	for (AsphaltBlockColor color : AsphaltBlockColor.values()) {
		for (AsphaltBlockState state : AsphaltBlockState.values()) {
			for (AsphaltBlockExtra extra : AsphaltBlockExtra.values()) {
				list.add(new BlockAsphalt(color, state, extra));
			}
		}
	}
	return list;
}

private enum AsphaltBlockColor {

LIGHT("Light"), MEDIUM("Medium"), DARK("Dark");

private String color;

AsphaltBlockColor(String color) {
		this.color = color;
	}

}

private enum AsphaltBlockState {

NORMAL("Normal"), DAMAGED("Damaged"), BROKEN("Broken");

private String state;

AsphaltBlockState(String state) {
		this.state = state;
	}

}

private enum AsphaltBlockExtra {

NONE(""), LINESOLID("LineSolid");

private String extra;

AsphaltBlockExtra(String extra) {
		this.extra = extra;
	}

}

}

This is how I was registering Blocks :

import java.util.List;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemBlock;
import net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public class RoadsBlocks {

public static List<Block> asphalts;

public static void init() {
	asphalts = BlockAsphalt.getAllBlocks();
}

public static void register() {
	for (Block asphalt : asphalts) {
		registerBlock(asphalt);
	}
}

private static void registerBlock(Block block) {
	GameRegistry.register(block);
	ItemBlock item = new ItemBlock(block);
	item.setRegistryName(block.getRegistryName());
	GameRegistry.register(item);
}

public static void registerRenders() {
	for (Block asphalt : asphalts) {
		registerRender(asphalt);
	}
}

private static void registerRender(Block block) {
	ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(Item.getItemFromBlock(block), 0,
			new ModelResourceLocation(block.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
}

}

So now, I know I'll not register the renders like this, but using the ModelLoader.setCustomStateMapper() method.

I have to create a new StateMapperBase for this method :

import net.minecraft.block.state.IBlockState;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.statemap.StateMapperBase;

public class AsphaltStateMapper extends StateMapperBase {

@Override
protected ModelResourceLocation getModelResourceLocation(IBlockState state) {
	return new ModelResourceLocation("BlockAsphalt" + state.getProperties().get("COLOR") + state.getProperties().get("STATE") + state.getProperties().get("EXTRA"), "inventory");
}

}

That means that in my Block constructor, I must add the properties to the BlockState, but that means that I have to create a new Block for every properties combination possible, no ?

PS : all the sources are in the first post, if you need.

Warning: StateMapperBase is marked @SideOnly(Client).

You cannot operate with it in common code.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I'm already using a proxy, but thanks for reminding me :)

It's one of those things I bumped into without realizing it and had to do some refactoring.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Hey, it's me again. I had trouble with the StateMapperBase class and I saw this tutorial : http://bedrockminer.jimdo.com/modding-tutorials/basic-modding-1-8/blockstates-and-metadata/

And it works well, I just had to create the 9 different blocks with 3 "colors" and 3 "states", then to add the "extra" property to all these blocks (because as I saw, there can be only 16 different variations of a block, and 3 colors * 3 states * 2 extras = 18 blocks (and there will be more than 2 extras in the future)).

I updated my github repository : https://github.com/Franckyi/Roads

All blocks variants are registered in the game and in my custom creative tab. I still have a small problem :

60baedabc4.jpg

As you can see, everything goes well for the "extra=none" variant. But textures in inventory for "extra=linesolid" variants are missing whereas they aren't for the world block, and I don't have any errors in the console. Can someone help me ? (you can look at the source to check file names and content).

[EDIT] : I saw that my blockstate files name had uppercase letter (and I only used lowercase letters in my registry/unlocalized names so I'll don't have to change everything if I update my mod to 1.11). But it didn't solve the problem. (I still don't know why I didn't have errors before I changed that, it ignores blockstates files name's case ?)

You need to supply an item model.

[me=Draco18s]looks at your Git repo[/me]

private static void registerRender(Block block, int meta, String file) {
	Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher()
    .register(Item.getItemFromBlock(block), meta, new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.MODID + ":" + file, "inventory"));
}

Why are you still using the ModelMesher?  You should be using ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(...)

Yeah, I know there is a better way to do that. In the tutorial (outdated at this point) it registers like tkat. I change it now ;)

But the bug is still here...and it does that with all custom blocks now (I updated my repository).

[EDIT] Alright, I think I know where I'm wrong. I forgot a bracket in ItemBlock models.