[Solved] Custom Entity Rendering

Nxs0000

Hey!

I just created a custom entity (extending EntityBase) with a custom model. My idea was to use them as block display, so they look like small floating blocks:

Here is an exemple of how it looks like initially:

1479755681-2016-11-21-19-55-37.png

1479755693-2016-11-21-19-55-45.png

And here is how it gets when you "put" a block in it:

1479755693-2016-11-21-19-56-09.png

So this looks pretty cool to me, but when there are multiple of them, the render is messing up:

1479755698-2016-11-21-19-56-14.png

It only happens with "empty" ones on "containing" ones. It render correctly when those entity are of the same type.

At first I thought it could be an age-based rendering, so the older entity would render first and the younger last, which could have explained why the renders are overlapping. But no matter the way I'm facing, where the older entity is, it always occure that way.

The way i change the rendering model may be the cause: In the "doRender" method in the EntityRender class, I choose a model depending on what the entity contains then i call the Model.render().

Plus, the entity that contains a block also act wierd with real blocks:

1479755706-2016-11-21-19-56-21.png

Does someone know what the issue is/are?

Thanks for the reply

Here it is:

public class RenderFloatingBlock extends Render<EntityFloatingBlock>
{
    private static final ResourceLocation textures = new ResourceLocation(Main.MODID,"textures/entity/floatingblock.png");
    private ResourceLocation t = new ResourceLocation("");
    private ModelBase modelEmpty = new ModelFloatingEmpty();
    private ModelBase modelFull = new ModelFloatingFull();

public RenderFloatingBlock(RenderManager rendermanager, ModelBase model, float shadowsize)
    {
        super(rendermanager);
    }

@Override
    protected ResourceLocation getEntityTexture(EntityFloatingBlock entity)
    {
        return textures;
    }

public void doRender(EntityFloatingBlock entity, double x, double y, double z, float entityYaw, float partialTicks)
    {
        GlStateManager.pushMatrix();
        GlStateManager.translate((float)x, (float)y-1.15, (float)z);

if(entity.inv.getItem() == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.glass)) // glass is a neutral block that represent the emptiness (have had the trouble with NullPointer when ItemStack was null)
        {
            // enable semi-transparent (not the cause of the problem: same result without it)
            GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_BLEND);
            GL11.glBlendFunc(GL11.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL11.GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
            GL11.glColor4f(1.5f, 1.5f, 1.5f, 0.8f);

this.bindTexture(textures);
            this.modelEmpty.render(entity, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0625F*1.4F);

// disable transparent
            GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_BLEND);
        }
        else
        {
            // Getting the texture from the contaigned block (almost works correctly >.<, cause... mutli-textured blocks ^^)
            String a = Block.getBlockFromItem(entity.getInv().getItem()).getRegistryName();
            String segments[] = a.split(":");
            t = new ResourceLocation(segments[0], "textures/blocks/"+segments[1]+".png");

this.bindTexture(t);

GlStateManager.translate((float)x, (float)y-1.35, (float)z);
            this.modelFull.render(entity, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0625F*1.4F);
        }
        GlStateManager.popMatrix();
        super.doRender(entity, x, y, z, entityYaw, partialTicks);
    }
}

Come to think of it. The issue may come from the the super.doRender() call.

I am probably doing something i should not ever do, but I'm new to rendering and have still to learn. Just tell me :/

Get rid of that ridiculously weird texture getting stuff, and use

Minecraft#getRenderItem().renderModel(ItemStack item, ItemCameraTransforms.TransformType type)

instead. Pass

ItemCameraTransforms.TransformType.NONE

for the type and the item in your entity's inventory for the item stack.

Ok, i found the issue (even if i don't really get why it makes the block disapearing in the floor)

Apparently, the translate method was creating the whole issue.

Here is my new doRender method:

public void doRender(EntityFloatingBlock entity, double x, double y, double z, float entityYaw, float partialTicks)
    {
        GlStateManager.pushMatrix();
        GlStateManager.translate((float)x, (float)y+0.25, (float)z);// works fine

if(entity.inv.getItem() == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.glass)
        {
            GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_BLEND);
            GL11.glBlendFunc(GL11.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL11.GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
            GL11.glColor4f(1.5f, 1.5f, 1.5f, 0.8f);
            GlStateManager.scale(2.5, 2.5, 2.5);
            GlStateManager.translate((float)x, (float)y-2.8, (float)z);
            this.bindTexture(textures);
            this.modelEmpty.render(entity, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0625F*1.4F);
            GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_BLEND);
        }
        else{
            //GlStateManager.translate((float)x, (float)y+0.05, (float)z); this one cause the overlap thing
            GlStateManager.scale(1.4, 1.4, 1.4);
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().renderItem(entity.getInv(), ItemCameraTransforms.TransformType.NONE);
        }
        GlStateManager.popMatrix();
        super.doRender(entity, x, y, z, entityYaw, partialTicks);
    }

Thanks for your time and the help Silly511.

Have a nice day