MC1.10+ drops from leaves

winnetrie

If i want something to drop from treeleaves for example cherries, what event(s) do i use best?

I tried the harvestdropsevent wich results in only dropping it when the leaves decay but not from breaking it!

I tried the breakevent wich results in only dropping it when you actual break it and besides that it also drops in creative mode.

My guess is i need to use both and avoid dropping it in creative mode.

This is what i have for now:

public class BOPEventHandlerOverride {
@SubscribeEvent
public void ExtraBOPdrops(BreakEvent event){
	System.out.println("event has occured");
	World world = event.getWorld();
	BlockPos pos = event.getPos();
	int x = pos.getX();
	int y = pos.getY();
	int z = pos.getZ();
	IBlockState blockstate = world.getBlockState(pos);
	Block block = blockstate.getBlock();
	if (block == BOPBlocks.leaves_2 && (block.getMetaFromState(blockstate)==9 || block.getMetaFromState(blockstate)==10) ){
		int random = randomWithRange(0,10);
		if (random == 1){
			ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(ModItems.cheeseraw);
			EntityItem item = new EntityItem(world, x,y,z,stack);
			world.spawnEntityInWorld(item);
		}
	}

}
public static int randomWithRange(int min, int max){
	Random rand= new Random();
	int randomNum = rand.nextInt((max-min)+1)+min;
	return randomNum;
}
}

BlockEvent.HarvestDropsEvent

will be fired when leaves decay naturally or are broken by a player. This is the event you should use.

Metadata should be considered an implementation detail, don't check for specific values of it. Instead, use

IBlockState#getValue

to get the value of the appropriate property.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Why isn't it dropping for me with harvestdropsevent? it does drop from decay but not from playerbreaking. Why is that?

I don't know. Post your code.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I also don't get this getValue thing working. I have it now like this:

@SubscribeEvent
public void ExtraBOPdrops(HarvestDropsEvent event){
	int x = pos.getX();
	int y = pos.getY();
	int z = pos.getZ();
	if (block == BOPBlocks.leaves_2  &&( blockstate.getValue(BlockBOPLeaves.variantProperty)==BOPTrees.PINK_CHERRY)){
		System.out.println("if statement occured");
		int random = randomWithRange(0,2);
		if (random == 1){
			System.out.println("random is: "+random);
			System.out.println("it can drop");
		}
	}

}
	return randomNum;
}
}

i get this error: Cannot make a static reference to the non-static field BlockBOPLeaves.variantProperty

If i change it into this : BlockBOPLeaves.this.variantProperty i get this error:

No enclosing instance of the type BlockBOPLeaves is accessible in scope

You can't do ".this" as it makes no sense.  You need to get a reference to the actual block object.

Say....

BOPBlocks.leaves_2.variantProperty

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

You can't do ".this" as it makes no sense.  You need to get a reference to the actual block object.

Say....

BOPBlocks.leaves_2.variantProperty

That doesn't work either.

Getting this error: variantProperty cannot be resolved or is not a field

Can you post the code that defines the variant?

e.g. I have this:

public class Props {
    public static final PropertyEnum<EnumOreFlower> FLOWER_TYPE = PropertyEnum.<EnumOreFlower>create("flower_type", EnumOreFlower.class);
}

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

In the BlockBOPLeaves.class here:

public static VariantPagingHelper<BlockBOPLeaves, BOPTrees> paging = new VariantPagingHelper<BlockBOPLeaves, BOPTrees>(4, BOPTrees.class);

// Slightly naughty hackery here
    // The constructor of Block() calls createBlockState() which needs to know the particular instance's variant property
    // There is no way to set the individual block instance's variant property before this, because the super() has to be first
    // So, we use the static variable currentVariantProperty to provide each instance access to its variant property during creation
    private static IProperty currentVariantProperty;

// Create an instance for each page
    public static void createAllPages()
    {        
        int numPages = paging.getNumPages();        
        for (int i = 0; i < numPages; ++i)
        {
            currentVariantProperty = paging.getVariantProperty(i);
            paging.addBlock(i, new BlockBOPLeaves());
        }

}

// Each instance has a reference to its own variant property
    public IProperty variantProperty;

@Override
    protected BlockStateContainer createBlockState()
    {
        this.variantProperty = currentVariantProperty; // get from static variable
        return new BlockStateContainer(this, new IProperty[] { CHECK_DECAY, DECAYABLE, this.variantProperty });
    }

Oh.

Try this.

((BlockBOPLeaves)BOPBlocks.leaves_2).variantProperty

This is also why I store my block variant properties in an API location, not only so I don't need to cast things, use static fields inside my classes (which wouldn't be present in the API), or other weirdness.

Ok the code is fine now i guess, but now i have to come back to my main problem i had at start.

Nothing drops when the leaves get broken by player hand. Only from decaying it drops.

For some reason that if statement that checks wich block it is never turns true when broken by the player.

This is what i have now:

@SubscribeEvent
public void ExtraBOPdrops(HarvestDropsEvent event){
	int x = pos.getX();
	int y = pos.getY();
	int z = pos.getZ();
	if (block == BOPBlocks.leaves_2  &&(blockstate.getValue(((BlockBOPLeaves)BOPBlocks.leaves_2).variantProperty)== BOPTrees.PINK_CHERRY)){
		System.out.println("if statement occured");
		int random = randomWithRange(0,2);
		if (random == 1){
			System.out.println("random is: "+random);
			System.out.println("it can drop");
		}
	}

}
	return randomNum;
}
}

So what's the problem then?

Use your debugger and figure it out.

If the variant isn't the variant you expect, what is it?

Do you have any other events affecting block breaking and/or harvesting? Also, post your code for your

BlockBOPLeaves

- there may be something in there interfering with the event.

All that said, if you only want your items to drop when one of your own blocks is broken, it will be easier to define that inside your block class itself the way vanilla blocks do, without needing to use events at all.

Do you have any other events affecting block breaking and/or harvesting? Also, post your code for your

BlockBOPLeaves

- there may be something in there interfering with the event.

All that said, if you only want your items to drop when one of your own blocks is broken, it will be easier to define that inside your block class itself the way vanilla blocks do, without needing to use events at all.

I want to drop cherries from the biomesoplenty mods cherry trees. I have not made the cherries right now, so i use a cheese slive instead, just to test the code. So BlockBOPLeaves is not my class and i don't think it's interfering with the events. I also have no other harvestdropsevents. Ofc i know how to define that in my own blocks. That's the whole point. It isn't MY block. That's why i need that event.

I did say it already multiple times, but here i go again:

The code works fine when those leaves decay, dropping the defined item!

If the player breaks the block, for some reason it returns always an airblock.

Ahh.

Don't do this.  You want

event.getState()

(getBlockState? I am not sure on the exact name).  That will give you the block that decayed.

Ahh.

Don't do this.  You want

event.getState()

(getBlockState? I am not sure on the exact name).  That will give you the block that decayed.

Aha it seems to work now.

Now you mentioned it, event.getState() makes indeed more sense then world.getBlockState(pos)

Thank you alot for helping me!  ;D