[SOLVED][1.10.2] Mapping Block to its Textures

Furgl

Hello,

My friend and I are working on a mod that would require getting the textures that a block uses.

Currently, we are using ItemModelMesherForge's locations field (of type IdentityHashMap<Item, TIntObjectHashMap<ModelResourceLocation>>) to map an ItemBlock and its metadata to its ResourceLocation. From there, we modify the ResourceLocation and use it to find the ItemBlock's .json file and look for the textures it uses. The problem is, for many items, the item's .json references a parent block .json that might have the textures or might reference another .json and so on and so forth. The .jsons may also have variants that can further complicate finding the textures.

I know it's possible for us to check all of the .json files and find the textures we're looking for, but I would imagine that there's an easier way to do this (since Minecraft/Forge do it), but I haven't been able to find anything promising after looking around in the code for a while.

Does anyone know of an easier way to map a given block to its textures?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

My friend and I are working on a mod that would require getting the textures that a block uses.

Currently, we are using ItemModelMesherForge's locations field (of type IdentityHashMap<Item, TIntObjectHashMap<ModelResourceLocation>>) to map an ItemBlock and its metadata to its ResourceLocation. From there, we modify the ResourceLocation and use it to find the ItemBlock's .json file and look for the textures it uses. The problem is, for many items, the item's .json references a parent block .json that might have the textures or might reference another .json and so on and so forth. The .jsons may also have variants that can further complicate finding the textures.

I know it's possible for us to check all of the .json files and find the textures we're looking for, but I would imagine that there's an easier way to do this (since Minecraft/Forge do it), but I haven't been able to find anything promising after looking around in the code for a while.

Does anyone know of an easier way to map a given block to its textures?

Thanks in advance!

Do not know where the textures are actually stored, but they are loaded at runtime, so if you trace the rendering of a block back far enough you are sure to find the textures themselves, but you may need to use reflection to get them.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Do not know where the textures are actually stored, but they are loaded at runtime, so if you trace the rendering of a block back far enough you are sure to find the textures themselves, but you may need to use reflection to get them.

From what we understand, the locations of the textures are stored in either the block's model json in minecraft:models/block/, the item's model json in minecraft:models/item/, or the block's blockstate json in minecraft:blockstates/. But it can be a maze navigating through the jsons trying to find where they are.

I've tried tracing the rendering, but haven't found anything.

What specifically do you need them for? We can give much better help if we know what you're trying to do.

We're creating armor that uses the textures of blocks, so I don't think there's any other way to do it without mapping blocks to their textures at runtime.

Are you making dirt armour, obsidian armour, etc? Or are you making armour that's a bit like TiCon tools?

Are you making dirt armour, obsidian armour, etc? Or are you making armour that's a bit like TiCon tools?

We're making armor specifically for each block, like dirt armor or obsidian armor.

Unless you are making a metric ton of armours, it's better to do the textures manually. I think I know where to start if you need to create textures dynamically, however it is rather complicated. Additionally dynamically created textures won't necessarily look good, as not all textures tile well.

Do you need to get this texture at runtime or can you simply create a texture for each block's armour on disk?

If you do need to get the texture at runtime, you can use the particle texture of the block's model.

If your armour stores an

IBlockState

, use

BlockModelShapes#getTexture

to get the particle texture of that state's model. If your armour stores an

ItemStack

, use

ItemModelMesher#getParticleIcon

to get the particle texture of that item's model.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Unless you are making a metric ton of armours, it's better to do the textures manually. I think I know where to start if you need to create textures dynamically, however it is rather complicated. Additionally dynamically created textures won't necessarily look good, as not all textures tile well.

We want to have our armors work with modded blocks, so we can't pre-make the textures ourselves.

Do you need to get this texture at runtime or can you simply create a texture for each block's armour on disk?

If you do need to get the texture at runtime, you can use the particle texture of the block's model.

If your armour stores an

IBlockState

, use

BlockModelShapes#getTexture

to get the particle texture of that state's model. If your armour stores an

ItemStack

, use

ItemModelMesher#getParticleIcon

to get the particle texture of that item's model.

We need to get the texture at runtime.

Using the particle texture works pretty well, and it's a lot easier than the methods we were using to get the textures before. Thank you!

Is there an easy way to get a texture for a specific side of a block (one of the six faces of a cube, since we're only using blocks that are full cubes)?

Probably not as easily.  And I can think of remarkably few cases where the particle texture is....not wrong, but misleading.

And one of those blocks are mine (the top and bottom faces are smooth stone, and so is the particle texture, but the side faces--the important information about the block*--was different).

*Yes, it was intentionally misleading.  If the player could not see the sides of the block there was no way to tell it apart from stone.  I even made WAILA respect this.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Probably not as easily.  And I can think of remarkably few cases where the particle texture is....not wrong, but misleading.

And one of those blocks are mine (the top and bottom faces are smooth stone, and so is the particle texture, but the side faces--the important information about the block*--was different).

*Yes, it was intentionally misleading.  If the player could not see the sides of the block there was no way to tell it apart from stone.  I even made WAILA respect this.

I figured it wouldn't be very easy. Oh, well. May have to settle for particle textures for the time being.

We need to get the texture at runtime.

Using the particle texture works pretty well, and it's a lot easier than the methods we were using to get the textures before. Thank you!

Is there an easy way to get a texture for a specific side of a block (one of the six faces of a cube, since we're only using blocks that are full cubes)?

IBakedModel#getQuads

can give you the

BakedQuad

s for an

EnumFacing

and

BakedQuad#getSprite

can give you the texture of a

BakedQuad

If you're storing an

IBlockState

, you can use

BlockModelShapes#getModelForState

to get the

IBakedModel

. If you're storing an

ItemStack

, you can use

ItemModelMesher#getItemModel(ItemStack)

IBakedModel#getOverrides

and

ItemOverrideList#handleItemState

to get the

IBakedModel

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

IBakedModel#getQuads

can give you the

BakedQuad

s for an

EnumFacing

and

BakedQuad#getSprite

can give you the texture of a

BakedQuad

If you're storing an

IBlockState

, you can use

BlockModelShapes#getModelForState

to get the

IBakedModel

. If you're storing an

ItemStack

, you can use

ItemModelMesher#getItemModel(ItemStack)

IBakedModel#getOverrides

and

ItemOverrideList#handleItemState

to get the

IBakedModel

BakedQuads are perfect! Thank you so much, you saved us a lot of time and work!