Only bits and pieces of information, everywhere...

intermediateuser

So the state of things in the modding community seems to be that all the information we need IS out there, but none of it is easily located and 95% of it is outdated.  This makes getting started modding (or in my case, returning to it) very hard!  Discouragingly hard.

Thing is, I know Java, too.  I just don't know how Forge and Minecraft connect and how it all looks and works in Eclipse.  But I realize this is very BASIC information!  I simply need some page or tutorial that shows me how to get a mod even started once I already have Eclipse set up.  Most "Getting Started" guides only show how to setup Eclipse and Forge, and then figuring things out from there is a matter of Googling and reading through these forums for hours piecing together outdated information to hopefully come up with a working solution.

Am I the only one feeling this way?  Is there, by this point, some up-to-date resource that actually covers the simple things, so that I just get my foot in the door?  Surely there exists one, at least, and I'm simply not aware of it?

The only thing I can really point you to is: https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Failing that, you can always look for Lex's github which should contain at least one project that is up-to-date.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

There's a list of modding tutorials for 1.9.x/1.10.x here, some of which have been updated to 1.11.

1.11 is still fairly similar to 1.10.2, but the main change is that

ItemStack

s can no longer be

null

(the default value is now the empty

ItemStack

, see

ItemStack#isEmpty

) and most fields of

ItemStack

that were public are now private with public getters/setters. Because

ItemStack

s can no longer be

null

, anywhere that used a

List<ItemStack>

or

ItemStack[]

should now use a

NonNullList<ItemStack>

Edit: I forgot that this site doesn't use Markdown.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

There's a list of modding tutorials for 1.9.x/1.10.x [here](http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/modification-development/2716947-can-we-start-a-thorough-list-of-really-good), some of which have been updated to 1.11.

1.11 is still fairly similar to 1.10.2, but the main change is that

ItemStack

s can no longer be

null

(the default value is now the empty

ItemStack

, see

ItemStack#isEmpty

) and most fields of

ItemStack

that were public are now private with public getters/setters. Because

ItemStack

s can no longer be

null

, anywhere that used a

List<ItemStack>

or

ItemStack[]

should now use a

NonNullList<ItemStack>

Tyvm!  I will have to look into this when I get time.  :)