[1.10.2 - 1.11.2] Ores as Metadata

Quizer9O8

Hello there,

I'm planning to create a mod based off a suggestion on the Minecraft forums what's called

'Ores in EVERY kind of block'.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/suggestions/88724-ores-in-every-kind-of-block-ores-as-metadata-now

Is there a way to only display for example all the available ores (without the Stone/Netherrack texture) on every kind of block as metadata? I don't want to spend too much time on making all block textures with every ore available slapped on it if there's an easier way.

Just so you know:

You can't "make Andesite have ore as metadata" because Andesite is already a metadata variant of Smooth Stone.

So you're going to need to make your own custom block and texture it appropriately.

You have two options:

Option 1: Create an overlay texture that is transparent except for the ore bits, use a block model that has two layers, the base layer (andesite, etc.) and the overlay (coal, etc.)

Option 2: Create an overlay texture that is transparent except for the ore bits, then use a custom TextureAtlasSprite class to smoosh this overlay onto a copy of the base texture (andesite, etc).

I did something like this in 1.7.10, if you're interested.

This method took in the block-to-replace (andesite, etc) and created a new block:

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hazards/StoneRegistry.java#L49

This method handled the loading and combining of two textures:

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/client/TextureAtlasDynamic.java#L53

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I think the mod will need to go the other way, adding stone metadata (stone / granite / diorite / andesite) to each ore rather than adding ore metadata to each stone. Then replace every vanilla ore block with the new variable ore. Figure out how to generate those ores within the other stone variants (if not generating already), copying metadata from the stone variant to the ore variant.

It would be simplest to create each texture combo in Paint (each is only 16x16 pixels). However, it might also be possible to do layers. Maybe 7 ores times 3 new variants is 21 little textures; paint is easier.

Other mods' ores (copper, rubies etc) probably can't be included.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.