[1.5.2] ForgeBackup v1.1.2: Easy backups for SMP and SSP worlds

monoxide

Looks like I may have to retract my previous statement. Thanks to the wonderful work of cjo9900 we now have a 1.5.1 version working! I haven't done much testing on it myself, but he assures me it's working and there honestly wasn't too much to update the released version. This is essentially a straight port of the 1.4.7 version with a minor bug fix.

Looks like I may have to retract my previous statement. Thanks to the wonderful work of cjo9900 we now have a 1.5.1 version working! I haven't done much testing on it myself, but he assures me it's working and there honestly wasn't too much to update the released version. This is essentially a straight port of the 1.4.7 version with a minor bug fix.

after a while of testing:

I:maxDailyBackups=3

I:maxWeeklyBackups=2

this wont create weekly backups. probably because they get deleted since the daily ones are only 3 days long. just dont delete monday backups, if weekly backups is > 0 and problem is solved.

also, to be quiet frankly, git snapshots suck. i love the (and will keep) the longterm bz2 backups, since they run so smooth and in the background without creating lag, that i dont want to miss them. still, i want to get rid of git, and replace it with a hourly rsync call.

but i dont see any enabled=true option for the default backups. setting the time to a really high value might help, but thats not really what i want. any suggestion?

btw - about rsync - i used it before, and its very very reliable.

after a while of testing:

I:maxDailyBackups=3

I:maxWeeklyBackups=2

this wont create weekly backups. probably because they get deleted since the daily ones are only 3 days long. just dont delete monday backups, if weekly backups is > 0 and problem is solved.

also, to be quiet frankly, git snapshots suck. i love the (and will keep) the longterm bz2 backups, since they run so smooth and in the background without creating lag, that i dont want to miss them. still, i want to get rid of git, and replace it with a hourly rsync call.

but i dont see any enabled=true option for the default backups. setting the time to a really high value might help, but thats not really what i want. any suggestion?

btw - about rsync - i used it before, and its very very reliable.

Currently there's no way to turn off the default backups. I may look into that for the 1.5 version. You could use the bz2 method for the normal backup and set it up to backup daily and keep 3, and then no daily backups in the archives. Or just use bz2 regular backups all round. There's a reason the git option is an *option* and not required.

With regards to rsync, I have no issue with it per ce, except that rsync excels at keeping two copies of a filesystem in sync, however the idea here is to create many copies at different points in time. If you rsync to an empty directory, you gain nothing. The two seem to be aimed at different tasks, so I'm not sure how rsync would help.

I will look into the weekly backups issue, thanks for the bug report there.

Currently there's no way to turn off the default backups. I may look into that for the 1.5 version. You could use the bz2 method for the normal backup and set it up to backup daily and keep 3, and then no daily backups in the archives. Or just use bz2 regular backups all round. There's a reason the git option is an *option* and not required.

With regards to rsync, I have no issue with it per ce, except that rsync excels at keeping two copies of a filesystem in sync, however the idea here is to create many copies at different points in time. If you rsync to an empty directory, you gain nothing. The two seem to be aimed at different tasks, so I'm not sure how rsync would help.

I will look into the weekly backups issue, thanks for the bug report there.

still running 1.4.7 until FTB gets updated. having a modpack with a easy to use launcher is a mandatory advantage - especially if women and non-nerds play on that server.

anyway, good idea about the config. i will test that.

about git - being a heavy git user for android development - i doubt its the right tool for the job. sure you have some kind of revision, but git was build for source - text - files and no so much for binaries. so your git directory will grow and grow for what? being able to jump back to any point in time? my users would kill me, if they lose more than one day (and so would i). having a snapshot of the last 3 days plus one of the last hour should be okay for nearly everything. we have about 10 active players, and connected players nearly 24/7.

also, this git mechanism is buggy. i get that error i posted earlier maybe once a day. without any interference on my side. i added a script that checks the server log for this message and in case it finds it simply deletes the git directory.

so, i am way better off with rsync for my needs. just my 0.02$ on this matter.

edit: after so much criticism, let me say again, i am absolutely in love with the way you do "normal" backups. they run smooth in the background without creating any lag. love that!

still running 1.4.7 until FTB gets updated. having a modpack with a easy to use launcher is a mandatory advantage - especially if women and non-nerds play on that server.

anyway, good idea about the config. i will test that.

about git - being a heavy git user for android development - i doubt its the right tool for the job. sure you have some kind of revision, but git was build for source - text - files and no so much for binaries. so your git directory will grow and grow for what? being able to jump back to any point in time? my users would kill me, if they lose more than one day (and so would i). having a snapshot of the last 3 days plus one of the last hour should be okay for nearly everything. we have about 10 active players, and connected players nearly 24/7.

also, this git mechanism is buggy. i get that error i posted earlier maybe once a day. without any interference on my side. i added a script that checks the server log for this message and in case it finds it simply deletes the git directory.

so, i am way better off with rsync for my needs. just my 0.02$ on this matter.

edit: after so much criticism, let me say again, i am absolutely in love with the way you do "normal" backups. they run smooth in the background without creating any lag. love that!

still running 1.4.7 until FTB gets updated.

Also, FYI, the FTB Ultimate pack should be updating to 1.5.1 within the next week or so, sans RP2.

very off-topic, but i would love that. watch direwolf20's videos, i guess, there still has some work to be done on forge2 and all the mods, but its coming along quiet well. of course we will upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available. we play FTB since beta and mods since tekkit. the only downside to modding is, if you have to do it yourself, syncing blocks and between-mod-stuff in configs and fiddling with clients you have to hand to (female) users or tell them to update their .zip files. modpacks are a blessing imho. if one day, we can add/update mods server side and the changes will be auto-transfered to the client, i will love that.

anyway, where did you have the "ultimate in 2 weeks" info from? just curious

about git: it was just my personal impression and opinion, and i knew, its under testing on your side (: no offense intended.

still running 1.4.7 until FTB gets updated.

Also, FYI, the FTB Ultimate pack should be updating to 1.5.1 within the next week or so, sans RP2.

very off-topic, but i would love that. watch direwolf20's videos, i guess, there still has some work to be done on forge2 and all the mods, but its coming along quiet well. of course we will upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available. we play FTB since beta and mods since tekkit. the only downside to modding is, if you have to do it yourself, syncing blocks and between-mod-stuff in configs and fiddling with clients you have to hand to (female) users or tell them to update their .zip files. modpacks are a blessing imho. if one day, we can add/update mods server side and the changes will be auto-transfered to the client, i will love that.

anyway, where did you have the "ultimate in 2 weeks" info from? just curious

about git: it was just my personal impression and opinion, and i knew, its under testing on your side (: no offense intended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm getting this whenever the mod tries to do a backup.

And dimension 12 doesn't exist yet, no folder, no mystcraft agedata, ...

2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [forgebackup] Starting a new backup.
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [FINE] [forgebackup] Disabling saving...
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [FINE] [forgebackup] Forcing an updated save...
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [FINE] [forgebackup] Creating new backup of your world...
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [FINE] [forgebackup] Re-enabling saving...
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] Exception in thread "Timer-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not get provider type for dimension 12, does not exist
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager.getProviderType(DimensionManager.java:157)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager.createProviderFor(DimensionManager.java:304)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.world.WorldProvider.func_76570_a(WorldProvider.java:207)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at monoxide.forgebackup.backup.Backup.doBackup(Backup.java:123)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at monoxide.forgebackup.backup.Backup.run(Backup.java:47)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at monoxide.forgebackup.backup.BackupTask.processArchiveBackups(BackupTask.java:36)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at monoxide.forgebackup.backup.ArchiveBackupTask.run(ArchiveBackupTask.java:16)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
2013-08-06 02:00:25 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...