[1.11] Code stored in NBT in an ItemStack

Awesome_Spider

I am working on a robot mod that adds robots that interact with nearby inventories. I am kind of stuck with this however. What I would like to do is have the players program the behaviors of the robots into an item (using a drag and drop interface maybe) that could be dropped into the robot's (or controller of a multiblock) gui. I am trying to wrap my head around how I would implement this. Any ideas?

I was thinking I could save Json to the nbt of an item stack that would have instructions for what the robot would do, but I'm unsure if this would be feasable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You could do what computercraft does store an Item ID in NBT then use that ID to reference an external file.This gives some leniency on what file structures you can use for storing the programs.  You could store the program files in the minecraft save folder.