Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Creating a new mod


King_of_Mines1
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, King_of_Mines1 said:

Im sure this is extremely simple but for some reason I can't figure out how to do this. I have already setup the JDK, forge, and eclipse and made my first mod but I don't know how to make a new project in eclipse that has all the forge resources and stuff. 

This tutorial explains how to set up Forge in its own workspace so that more than one mod can be linked to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

This tutorial explains how to set up Forge in its own workspace so that more than one mod can be linked to it.

When I get to the part that where I have to import forge when I click on the eclipse file it says "Some projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the workspace" and it won't let me click finish. 025c499cdb568185a396b94774819cad.thumb.png.6ba2da39df6c7fd5d398a4f847c85496.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jay Avery said:

This tutorial explains how to set up Forge in its own workspace so that more than one mod can be linked to it.

This is a terrible tutorial and you should not follow it. There is no "Forge project". What you get when you download the MDK is an example workspace for your mod. You do not need a 2nd project.

 

Follow the Getting Started article in the Documentation.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

Why? Is there a recommended approach to developing multiple mods other than installing multiple identical copies of forge?

Yes, setting up multiple projects (of which the MDK is an example). Again, the MDK is not an "installation of Forge". It is an example project for making a mod, which then references Forge as a library.

When you run setupDecompWorkspace you are installing forge into the Gradle cache. If you run it again in a 2nd project, it will reference the same cache, and not do anything at all. You will only ever have one copy of each Forge version you use, this is the power of Gradle.

Edited by diesieben07
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Yes, setting up multiple projects (of which the MDK is an example). Again, the MDK is not an "installation of Forge". It is an example project for making a mod, which then references Forge as a library.

When you run setupDecompWorkspace you are installing forge into the Gradle cache. If you run it again in a 2nd project, it will reference the same cache, and not do anything at all. You will only ever have one copy of each Forge version you use, this is the power of Gradle.

In the link you gave me the step for getting the project says. "For Eclipse, create a workspace anywhere (though the easiest location is one level above your project folder). Then simply import your project folder as a project, everything will be done automatically." What exactly is it asking me to do here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • "create a workspace": Create an empty folder somewhere and point eclipse at it.
  • "import your project folder as a project": Go to File > Import > General > Existing Projects into Workspace and select the project folder, i.e. the folder containing your build.gradle (not the eclipse folder inside it!).
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, King_of_Mines1 said:

In the link you gave me the step for getting the project says. "For Eclipse, create a workspace anywhere (though the easiest location is one level above your project folder). Then simply import your project folder as a project, everything will be done automatically." What exactly is it asking me to do here.

With no intention of offending, you should really learn how to comfortably manage files/folders on your chosen operating system (windows/mac/etc.), and then proceed to make sure you understand basic java syntax. Without these skills, you will have a lot of trouble even trying to accomplish the most basic of things (especially if you're following the tutorials you linked, they're quite out of date, and will not help you unless you know some java already). While people here are great and will offer tons of help and advice, if you repeatedly demonstrate a lack of basic java/programming knowledge, your welcome will wear out quickly. Again, no offense intended, but the above quoted post indicates that you have a bit of homework to do before you're ready to start making mods for minecraft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:
  • "create a workspace": Create an empty folder somewhere and point eclipse at it.
  • "import your project folder as a project": Go to File > Import > General > Existing Projects into Workspace and select the project folder, i.e. the folder containing your build.gradle (not the eclipse folder inside it!).

The issue is that when I try to import the project it says " Some projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the workspace"

 

 

5 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

With no intention of offending, you should really learn how to comfortably manage files/folders on your chosen operating system (windows/mac/etc.), and then proceed to make sure you understand basic java syntax. Without these skills, you will have a lot of trouble even trying to accomplish the most basic of things (especially if you're following the tutorials you linked, they're quite out of date, and will not help you unless you know some java already). While people here are great and will offer tons of help and advice, if you repeatedly demonstrate a lack of basic java/programming knowledge, your welcome will wear out quickly. Again, no offense intended, but the above quoted post indicates that you have a bit of homework to do before you're ready to start making mods for minecraft.

I already know a bit of java and have made a working mod. This issue is just because I am getting an error that I don't know  how to fix. And I also haven't linked any outdated tutorials I'm using. I WAS linked outdated tutorials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, King_of_Mines1 said:

And I also haven't linked any outdated tutorials I'm using. I WAS linked outdated tutorials.

You're right, sorry about that.

 

When importing the project, if you're using a workspace the level above the folder your mod project is in, I think you just uncheck where it says to copy project files into workspace (since it's already there), and it should work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

You're right, sorry about that.

 

When importing the project, if you're using a workspace the level above the folder your mod project is in, I think you just uncheck where it says to copy project files into workspace (since it's already there), and it should work.

Its already unchecked and I still get the error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You fixed the path shown in the screenshot so you're referencing the project folder containing build.gradle, and not the eclipse folder within that folder as suggested right?

 

And if it's that Test project, it looks like it's already present in the workspace on the left. If it's not that project, make sure you're not trying to import another project named Test (I haven't tried to see if you can have multiple projects with the same name).

 

Otherwise, I guess I'm not sure what's goin on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the tutorial I followed by the man himself. It is old, but still works as the general concepts are the same. I don't think you have to create the debug configurations anymore, as they were already there for me for 1.11. I did have to remove the VM arguments in order for it to work though.

Also you shouldn't have to change anything in the build.gradle file except for

Spoiler

version = "1.11.2-0.0.1" // CHANGE 0.0.1 to correct mod version
group = "yourname.modid" // CHANGE yourname to your name/username and ofcourse change modid to your modid
archivesBaseName = "modid" // CHANGE modid

 

Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2jmt47yTQ

Edited by Kriptikz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, King_of_Mines1 said:

The issue is that when I try to import the project it says " Some projects cannot be imported because they already exist in the workspace"

Then you did not point eclipse at an empty folder.

 

1 hour ago, Kriptikz said:

This is the tutorial I followed by the man himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2jmt47yTQ

This thing is oooold...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.