[Solved]Minecraft.getMinecraft() error:java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

aw_wolfe

Minecraft: 1.11.2

Forge:forge-1.11.2-13.20.0.2228

Linux.

I have a main mod class where I am using java.Timer and Java.Timer.TimerTask to run a function every so often. In my preInt(FMLPreInitializationEvent even) function I get a reference to Minecraft.getMinecraft and store it, so that the TimerTask can access the world inforation when it runs.  This works in the development evironment, running from project folder with ./gradlew runClient. Game loads, Forge loads, mod loads, function runs as scheduled (STDOUT used to check).

When I port the mod (jar file) over to my .minecraft (authentic version) mod folder...game loads, forge starts loading, mod tries to load but throws: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.getMinecraft(). 

When installing forge, I used the jar and chose 'install client'.

Why doesn't forge (on the 'real' minecraft) have a getMinecraft function ?  What do I need to do?  Wrong forge install? Did I need to install server?

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by aw_wolfe
Solved

Timer issue: I am trying to have an overall monitor/controller that isn't linked to a specific object in the game and only need to check occasionally on the time.  So it isn't linked to anything that has an in game Entity where I could call for a tick update (or more likely I don't know how to do so). The tutorials I found were for older versions that the functions didn't line up and were for objects in a game that were generally called. Is there a decent reference for getting a tickupdate from a non-entity class?

build: I built the mod jar with "./gradlew build" and grabbed it from /build/libs/ . This is what has worked for me with other mods in the past...but I'm still new at this, so if there is a better way to port over, I'll happily change.  Is there a setting in the build.gradle file or somewhere that will map the to obfuscate minecraft?

Thanks.

Just tried this...

in main mod class:

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event){
        System.out.println("Post initialization event---------------");

//some tutorials were recommending registering with more than one bus. Neither seem to work.
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new SeasonsEventHandler());
		FMLCommonHandler.instance().bus().register(new SeasonsEventHandler());
    }

in SeasonsEventHandler class:

public class SeasonsEventHandler {
 public void onTickEvent(net.minecraftforge.fml.common.gameevent.TickEvent event){
     System.out.println("_______________OnTickEvent_______________");
 }
}

The SeasonsEventHandler never prints out the "OnTickEvent". 

Every method that subscribes to an event needs to be annotated with @SubscribeEvent. Also, you no longer have to register your event handler on the two buses. They've been merged. Just register it to MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS. You should also probably register it in preInit or Init, not postInit. Depending on some events, registering it at different initialization phases can mean the event is fired before your listener is registered to receive it.

Also, do not register to TickEvent directly. Register to one of its subevents instead (ServerTickEvent, ClientTickEvent, WorldTickEvent, PlayerTickEvent, RenderTickEvent)

Edited by TheMasterGabriel

Thanks. This is what I have now...still not getting anything on the stdout. Thanks for your patience.

ModClass:

@SubscribeEvent
    @Mod.EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event){
    }

EventHandlerclass

public void onTickEvent(WorldTickEvent event){
	 System.out.println("_______________OnTickEvent_______________");
 }
}

also, if event fires, I'd have access to the world object through the event (So don't need to mess with Minecraft.getMinecraft()--but still not sure why doesn't work on the 'real' minecraft. I get the obfucated issue, just not sure what to change and thought the gradlew build would have handled it...all other minecraft mappings in previous mods have worked--never tried Minecraft.getMinecraft() before though), which is what I want. But how often is this event going to fire? I don't need 20 ticks a second and don't want to waster resources if do not have to....which is another reason I originally went with the java.Timer route.

31 minutes ago, TheMasterGabriel said:

Every method that subscribes to an event needs to be annotated with @SubscribeEvent.

I meant the actual method that does the logic when the event is fired. In your case, onTickEvent needs to have the annotation. WorldTickEvent is fired 20 times a second, but you can just use a modulus operator with the world time to limit how often your code is run. Animation#getWorldTime will return the current world time in seconds.

• Like 1

Great! Thank you so much, works now.

For others that run into same problem.

Mod class:

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event){
    }

EventHandler Class:

@SubscribeEvent
 public void onTickEvent(WorldTickEvent event){
	if(event.world.getTotalWorldTime()%40==0) //only need to check every couple seconds. Probably could be less often
        {
            updateSeason(event.world);
        }
    //System.out.println("_______________OnTickEvent_______________");
 	}

private void udpateSeason(World world){
		//code here
	}
}