[1.8] Adding a Vanilla Texture to a Modded Block

bumpernickl

I would like to add stairs and slabs for existing blocks into my mod, using vanilla textures. However, I wish to take them from the game files rather then implement them directly into the mod, because I want it to be texture pack compatible.

I am using generalized classes as well, so it needs to be in the main mod file or in the .json files.

Is there any way I can do this? Thanks!

31 minutes ago, shadowfacts said:

You can just use them directly from your JSON files. If you wanted to use the Iron Block texture, you would use minecraft:blocks/iron_block for the correct texture in your model or blockstate.

I'm surprised its so easy. I have another question though.

I tried adding glass stairs and they do have the default texture, however all the transparent regions appear black when placed.

Can this be fixed?

Edited by bumpernickl

You need to override in your Block class the method that gets the layer the model is rendered in. In 1.11 it's Block#getRenderLayer and returns one from the BlockRenderLayer enum, but I don't know if it's different in older versions. Look at the vanilla code for glass blocks to see what's done there.

34 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

You need to override in your Block class the method that gets the layer the model is rendered in. In 1.11 it's Block#getRenderLayer and returns one from the BlockRenderLayer enum, but I don't know if it's different in older versions. Look at the vanilla code for glass blocks to see what's done there.

I found where it sets the material in my BasicStairs class:

super(Blocks.stone_stairs.getStateFromMeta(0));

I would like to add a variable I can set when registering the stair in the main mod class, but I am unsure what I should replace this line with.

It's nothing to do with the material. It's a method in Block which you need to override. It'll be probably called something with the words "render layer" or similar.

(While we're at it, I'll just remind you that 1.8 is old and very nearly outdated, and you'd get much better help if you work on 1.11+)

14 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

It's nothing to do with the material. It's a method in Block which you need to override. It'll be probably called something with the words "render layer" or similar.

(While we're at it, I'll just remind you that 1.8 is old and very nearly outdated, and you'd get much better help if you work on 1.11+)

I use 1.8 because I can't stand the hit delay in older versions.

The material is set to stone, as it makes the wrong sounds ingame.

I believe I found the method, "EnumWorldBlockLayer", but I would like to use this only if I set a variable to true in the main class, and it errors when I add an if statement.

(Another unrelated problem, what is the argument for using any tool or your hand when breaking a block?)

14 minutes ago, bumpernickl said:

I use 1.8 because I can't stand the hit delay in older versions.

If you're using an old version because you don't like a new feature, your version is going to become increasingly outdated and eventually unsupported. You'd be much better off modifying the feature you don't like and staying up to date.

The material is set to stone, as it makes the wrong sounds ingame.

I believe I found the method, "EnumWorldBlockLayer", but I would like to use this only if I set a variable to true in the main class, and it errors when I add an if statement.

Post your code.

(Another unrelated problem, what is the argument for using any tool or your hand when breaking a block?)

I don't understand the question. What do you want to achieve?

Edited by Jay Avery

I made glass stairs render correctly, however any blocks underneath them appear transparent as well.

23 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

Post your code.

package com.mstarks.extrastairs.blocks;

import net.minecraft.block.BlockStairs;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.init.Blocks;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumWorldBlockLayer;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.Side;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

public class BasicStairs extends BlockStairs {
	public BasicStairs(String unlocalizedName, CreativeTabs tab, Material material, float hardness, float resistance, int harvestLevel) {
		super(Blocks.stone_stairs.getStateFromMeta(0));
		this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName);
		this.setCreativeTab(tab);
		this.setHardness(hardness);
		this.setResistance(resistance);
		this.setHarvestLevel("pickaxe", harvestLevel);
	}
	@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	public EnumWorldBlockLayer getBlockLayer()
	{
		return EnumWorldBlockLayer.CUTOUT;
	}

public boolean isFullCube()
    {
        return false;
    }
}

Don't worry about activating/deactivating the parts of the code I had mentioned, I can figure that out on my own (except under the super argument).

23 minutes ago, Jay Avery said:

I don't understand the question. What do you want to achieve?

In the main class for a block, you can set the tool used under this.setHarvestLevel (i.e. pickaxe, axe, shovel, etc.). I would like to make the block break at the same speed with every tool or your hands, like glass in vanilla.

Edited by bumpernickl

Why do you not have methods marked with @Override?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

If your IDE told you to remove the override annotation then actually, there is a problem. And it's not with the annotation. It's with the method signature.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

The mod compiles both with and without the @Override annotation and the game acts the same way both times. There is no error on the @)Override annotation. Both methods do what they should, it seems like I am just missing a method to keep the surrounding blocks from becoming transparent and to prevent a shadow.

Edited by bumpernickl

You also need:

@Override
	public boolean isOpaqueCube(IBlockState state) {
		return false;
	}

I added isOpaqueCube and shouldSideBeRendered:

public boolean isOpaqueCube(IBlockState state) {
		return false;
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    @Override
	public boolean shouldSideBeRendered(IBlockAccess worldIn, BlockPos pos, EnumFacing side)
    {
        IBlockState iblockstate = worldIn.getBlockState(pos);
        Block block = iblockstate.getBlock();

if (this == ExtraStairsMod.glassStairsBlock)
        {
            if (worldIn.getBlockState(pos.offset(side.getOpposite())) != iblockstate)
            {
                return true;
            }

if (block == this)
            {
                return false;
            }
        }

return false;

The shadow still appears beneath the stairs and the faces adjacent to stairs don't show.

After dding the doesSideBlockRendering function:

@Override
    public boolean doesSideBlockRendering(IBlockAccess world, BlockPos pos, EnumFacing face)
	{
    	// The stairs are transparent.  Always render the adjacent faces.
        return false;
	}

the ground remains visible.

Thanks for all the support!

• Like 1