Getting Ore Generation

Terrails

How should I get ore generation from other mods, I'm basically making a mod which adds all kind of ores and I want to add a feature which can control ores from other mods, so people just add an ore into the config file and edit the options. How should I do that?

• 2 weeks later...

That is the hardest possible way to do it, it seems. If you run into a block that's a subtype (e.g. forestry's apatite, copper, and tin are all just "forestry:resources" with a different metadata), you'll have to find some way for them to specify the metadata in your config too.

To answer your specific question though, you'll need to get the mod id and use it to check to see if the mod is present, and if it is you can get the block with Block#getBlockFromName which will take an id and a block name (like "forestry:resources" or "minecraft:iron_ore") and then you can get the state from that to pass into your generation code. 

Developing the Spiral Power Mod .

こんにちは!お元気ですか?

On 4/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, Terrails said:

I want to add a feature which can control ores from other mods, so people just add an ore into the config file and edit the options

By "people", do you mean the editors of the other mods whose ores you want to manage? If not, then you'll have an uphill battle against other mods' idiosyncrasies (with some of them trying to control "other" mods, including yours). In other words, trying to trump another modder without his cooperation often doesn't go well because so many modders think their mods should rule the others.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:57 AM, Rohzek said:

That is the hardest possible way to do it, it seems. If you run into a block that's a subtype (e.g. forestry's apatite, copper, and tin are all just "forestry:resources" with a different metadata), you'll have to find some way for them to specify the metadata in your config too.

To answer your specific question though, you'll need to get the mod id and use it to check to see if the mod is present, and if it is you can get the block with Block#getBlockFromName which will take an id and a block name (like "forestry:resources" or "minecraft:iron_ore") and then you can get the state from that to pass into your generation code. 

I'm having problems reading the String List, I never worked with configs that have lists in them.

Crash:

[17:09:13] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at terrails.ingotter.worldgen.generator.WorldGenIngotterMinable.<init>(WorldGenIngotterMinable.java:23) ~[WorldGenIngotterMinable.class:?]
	at terrails.ingotter.worldgen.ore.CustomOreGen.generateOre(CustomOreGen.java:59) ~[CustomOreGen.class:?]
	at terrails.ingotter.worldgen.ore.CustomOreGen.generate(CustomOreGen.java:50) ~[CustomOreGen.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.generateWorld(GameRegistry.java:122) ~[GameRegistry.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.populateChunk(Chunk.java:1078) ~[Chunk.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.populateChunk(Chunk.java:1058) ~[Chunk.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.provideChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:165) ~[ChunkProviderServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.initialWorldChunkLoad(MinecraftServer.java:341) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.loadAllWorlds(IntegratedServer.java:107) ~[IntegratedServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.init(IntegratedServer.java:124) ~[IntegratedServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:508) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]

This is the config class:

Spoiler

public class ConfigCustomOreGen {

public static Configuration configCustomWorld;
    private static File configCustomOreGenDir;

public static String[] oreToReplace;

//World
    public static final String WORLD = "Ore Generation";

public static void init(File oreGenDir) {
        oreGenDir = new File(oreGenDir, Constants.MODID + "/" + "world");
        oreGenDir.mkdir();
        ConfigCustomOreGen.configCustomOreGenDir = oreGenDir;
        ConfigCustomOreGen.configCustomWorld = new Configuration(new File(oreGenDir, "Custom-Ore-Generation.cfg"));

oreToReplace = configCustomWorld.getStringList("ore_to_gen", WORLD, EMPTY_STRING, "ore which should have custom ore gen\n");

if (configCustomWorld.hasChanged()) {
            configCustomWorld.save();
        }
    }
    private final static String[] EMPTY_STRING = {};
}

the preInit

public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e) {
        ConfigCustomOreGen.init(e.getModConfigurationDirectory());
    }

Ore Generation:

Spoiler

public class CustomOreGen implements IWorldGenerator {

@Override
    public void generate(Random random, int chunkX, int chunkZ, World world, IChunkGenerator chunkGenerator, IChunkProvider chunkProvider) {
        Block ore = Block.getBlockFromName(Arrays.toString(ConfigCustomOreGen.oreToReplace));
        generateOre(ore, world, random, chunkX, chunkZ, 20, 180, 8, 24, 8);
    }

private void generateOre(Block ore, World world, Random random, int chunkX, int chunkZ, int minY, int maxY, int minVeinSize, int maxVeinSize, int chancesToSpawn) {
        int heightRange = maxY - minY;
        BlockPos blockpos = new BlockPos((chunkX * 16) + random.nextInt(16), minY + random.nextInt(heightRange), (chunkZ * 16) + random.nextInt(16));

if (world.provider.getDimension() == 0) {
            for (int i = 0; i < chancesToSpawn; i++) {
                WorldGenIngotterMinable generator = new WorldGenIngotterMinable(ore, minVeinSize, maxVeinSize, Blocks.AIR);
                generator.generate(world, random, blockpos);
            }
        }
    }
}

preInit

public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e) {

GameRegistry.registerWorldGenerator(new CustomOreGen(), 0);
    }

On 4/15/2017 at 8:38 PM, jeffryfisher said:

By "people", do you mean the editors of the other mods whose ores you want to manage? If not, then you'll have an uphill battle against other mods' idiosyncrasies (with some of them trying to control "other" mods, including yours). In other words, trying to trump another modder without his cooperation often doesn't go well because so many modders think their mods should rule the others.

By people I meant modpack creators and people using my mod so not mod creators

Edited by Terrails

null:

generateOre(ore, world, random, chunkX, chunkZ, 20, 180, 8, 24, 8);

I'm certain to its the ore variable because when I tried "minecraft:iron_ore" in Block#getBlockFromName it worked fine so somethings with that, I'm not sure how I should read the String[] properly for it to not be null.

Then you need to step through that string list getter to see what it's doing to you.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Looks like I actually did it, I needed an foreach loop in my ore generation so it always changes each line from the config. I'm facing another problem now... how should I disable the old ore generation so it uses only the generator with config values?

Also another question. I'm having problems with getting int from String[] because I want it in this format ModID:OreName=NUMBER (in the config file), so I just use Integer.parseInt to get an Integer from String but also in the parseInt I use string.replace(oreName+"=", ""); like this:

@Override
    public void generate(Random random, int chunkX, int chunkZ, World world, IChunkGenerator chunkGenerator, IChunkProvider chunkProvider) {
        for (String oreName : ConfigCustomOreGen.oreToReplace){Block ore = Block.getBlockFromName(oreName);
            for(String yMin : ConfigCustomOreGen.minY){int minY = Integer.parseInt(yMin.replace(oreName+"=", ""));
                for(String yMax : ConfigCustomOreGen.maxY){int maxY = Integer.parseInt(yMax.replace(oreName+"=", ""));
                    for(String veinMin : ConfigCustomOreGen.minVein){int minVein = Integer.parseInt(veinMin.replace(oreName+"=", ""));
                        for(String veinMax : ConfigCustomOreGen.maxVein){int maxVein = Integer.parseInt(veinMax.replace(oreName+"=", ""));
                            for(String chanceVein : ConfigCustomOreGen.veinChance){int veinChance = Integer.parseInt(chanceVein.replace(oreName+"=", ""));
            generateOre(ore, world, random, chunkX, chunkZ, minY, maxY, minVein, maxVein, veinChance);
        }}}}}}
    }

Its still null:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "minecraft:iron_ore=10"
	at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65) ~[?:1.8.0_121]
	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:580) ~[?:1.8.0_121]
	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:615) ~[?:1.8.0_121]
	at terrails.ingotter.worldgen.ore.CustomOreGen.generate(CustomOreGen.java:50) ~[CustomOreGen.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.generateWorld(GameRegistry.java:122) ~[GameRegistry.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.populateChunk(Chunk.java:1078) ~[Chunk.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.populateChunk(Chunk.java:1058) ~[Chunk.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.provideChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:165) ~[ChunkProviderServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.initialWorldChunkLoad(MinecraftServer.java:341) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.loadAllWorlds(IntegratedServer.java:107) ~[IntegratedServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.init(IntegratedServer.java:124) ~[IntegratedServer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:508) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]

Like you see theres still "minecraft:iron_ore=10"

Ore Gen Class

Config Class

This is how my config is setup in game:

Spoiler

# Configuration file
##########################################################################################################
# ore generation
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# The Settings you have to type for each ore in each category:
# [Ore To Generate]: ModID:OreName, example: minecraft:iron_ore
# [Min Vein Size]: ModID:OreName=NUMBER, example: minecraft:iron_ore=12
# [Max Vein Size]: ModID:OreName=NUMBER, example: minecraft:iron_ore=6
# [Min Y Level]: ModID:OreName=NUMBER, example: minecraft:iron_ore=40
# [Max Y Level]: ModID:OreName=NUMBER, example: minecraft:iron_ore=80
# [Veins Per Chunk] ModID:OreName=NUMBER, example: minecraft:iron_ore=15
##########################################################################################################
"ore generation" {
    # ore which should have custom ore gen
    #  [default: ]
    S:ore_to_gen <
        minecraft:gold_ore,
        minecraft:iron_ore,
        minecraft:diamond_ore
     >

"y levels" {
        # ore max y level
        S:max_y_level <
            minecraft:gold_ore=200,
            minecraft:iron_ore=175,
            minecraft:diamond_ore=150
         >
        # ore min y level
        S:min_y_level <
            minecraft:gold_ore=100,
            minecraft:iron_ore=100,
            minecraft:diamond_ore=100
         >
    }
    veins {
        # ore max vein size
        S:max_vein_size <
            minecraft:gold_ore=12,
            minecraft:iron_ore=24,
            minecraft:diamond_ore=2
         >
        # ore min vein size
        S:min_vein_size <
            minecraft:gold_ore=5,
            minecraft:iron_ore=12,
            minecraft:diamond_ore=1
         >
        # ore veins per chunk
        S:veins_per_chunk <
            minecraft:gold_ore=6,
            minecraft:iron_ore=10,
            minecraft:diamond_ore=20
         >
    }
}

Also is there a way to sort those config variables? For example I want the ore max y level after ore min y level

Edited by Terrails

3 hours ago, Terrails said:

Its still null:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "minecraft:iron_ore=10"

That's not null, that's a NumberFormatException - you're trying to parse a String that can't be read as an int.

Edited by Jay Avery

I knew that, somehow it wasn't removing the minecraft:iron_ore= from the String but I made it work now String#substring and String#indexOf. The problem now is how should I disable the ores that are not generated with my config/generator? (I want to disable the generation of ores that are specified in my config and than use my own generation so there aren't 2 generators doing the same thing)

Edited by Terrails

On 4/20/2017 at 4:48 PM, Terrails said:

The problem now is how should I disable the ores that are not generated with my config/generator? (I want to disable the generation of ores that are specified in my config and than use my own generation so there aren't 2 generators doing the same thing)

If it's vanilla ore, it's easy. You'll need to subscribe to OreGenEvent#GenerateMinable and block the events. I have an example of that you can look at here.

When it comes to the other mods, hope that they have a config you can use to turn off their generation. Or, you'll have to load the mod as an external library and see if there's a getter/setter/public variable somewhere you can edit to turn off generation when your mod is installed. How they have their generation setup determines what you have to do. ...And that really only works if the mod author provides a source/dev version of the mod.

Outside of editing the other mods' configs, you won't be able to just read a boolean out of your config and support blocking of any mod, you'll have to code support in for each mod manually.

• Like 1

Developing the Spiral Power Mod .

こんにちは!お元気ですか?