Setting up proper development enviroment for switching forge versions

aw_wolfe

First, I'm new to mc modding and working with eclipse (main experience with C++, c# and Unity 3d)...so I apologize ahead of time if my issues are truly stupid. Further, I may well be over my head, but doesn't seem like what I'm trying to do should be difficult once setup.

I've been learning forge modding and ran into an issue that I couldn't solve with forge as is, with replacing vanilla stuff. Anyway the GameRegistry.Type and addSubstitutionAlias only support Blocks and Items.  So I cloned the forge files from github and added Type.Biome and inserted code into addSubstitutionAlias to affect the iBiomeRegistry in GameData.  (I could also see making a few more changes here and there in the future). If things worked, I was going to offer any changes back to forge for update review.

I've done ./gradlew setupForge...

However, building the project doesn't produce the files in the [home]/.gradle/cache/...../snapshot folder that my mod project classpath points to. Trying to manually point to the newly built stuff in the /myForge/build/distributions folder allows eclipse to not show errors (can't use source code viewing though yet), but ./gradlew build produces errors...doen't recognized the new Type.Biome (looks like still using the original forge in the [home]/gradle/cache/..../snapshot

So, my questions are...

On linux...

1) How do I get myForge project to generate a viable snapshot? I can build, but do not get same set of .jars. Taking the stuff out of my newly created mdk.zip and trying to setup new project produces errors. (example of several different tries....

Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':forgeGradleUserDevPackage'.
> Could not find net.minecraftforge:forge:1.11.2-13.20.0.0.

2) How should I setup my development environment (eclipse/gradle) so that I can swap in and out new versions of forge? (official forge releases and mine) Pointing to my newly created .jars as external libraries in eclipse doesn't allow me to build with them with gradlew.

Thanks,

Tony