[1.11.2] Getting A Changeable Resource

I'm trying to add a custom resource which can be changed by resource packs. I am having trouble accessing this resource. How would I go about this? I really have no idea, at the moment, I'm doing this: 

public static IResource getResource(ResourceLocation location) throws IOException {
        IResourceManager manager = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getResourceManager();
        List<IResource> resources = manager.getAllResources(location);
        return resources.get(resources.size() - 1);
    }

Which, from what I can tell, should maybe work (but it's not), but I feel like there must be a better way to do this...

Any help is appreciated...

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

I know Java pretty well... So yeah...

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!
planet9.compiler.error.CompilationException: Compiler not yet implemented
	at planet9.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:39)
	at planet9.compiler.app.CompilerApp.main(CompilerApp.java:147)

12 minutes ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

I'm trying to add a custom resource which can be changed by resource packs. I am having trouble accessing this resource. How would I go about this? I really have no idea, at the moment, I'm doing this: 

public static IResource getResource(ResourceLocation location) throws IOException {
        List<IResource> resources = manager.getAllResources(location);
        return resources.get(resources.size() - 1);
    }

Which, from what I can tell, should maybe work (but it's not), but I feel like there must be a better way to do this...

Any help is appreciated...

I mean, I'm not the greatest with knowledge since I'm still pretty new to Forge modding,  but I'm pretty sure a resource pack can overwrite a resource by default, so long as it follows the same structure as your resource section is set up.

1 minute ago, ZombieHDGaming said:

but I'm pretty sure a resource pack can overwrite a resource by default, so long as it follows the same structure as your resource section is set up.

But I tried that and it didn't work...

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

3 minutes ago, ZombieHDGaming said:

Did you make sure it was under your Mod ID in the resource pack?

Yes, it was formatted exactly the same as my resources in the .jar (assets/id/whatevs), and those resources are still properly accessed...

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Ok, it's a little bit harder than just that.

You need to add your resource Type to Minecraft.

this.metadataSerializer_.registerMetadataSectionType(new TextureMetadataSectionSerializer(), TextureMetadataSection.class);

thats an example straight from Minecraft.

All this can be found inside the Minecraft class. I will post more as soon as I find a solution as I would also need a function like that.

Edit: argh... seems to be the wrong way even though it might work.. have to do a little bit more research on this.

Edit 2: 1. I cannot believe how simple it is.
2. You cannot search for a Folder but only for a file.

Edited by JTK222

58 minutes ago, ZombieHDGaming said:

a resource pack can overwrite a resource by default

This is true. Mods' resources can be overwritten by a resource pack.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Ok so after a bit of reasearch, it seems that  "getAllResources" just returns all version of a resource so, if texture pack 1 has this resource and texture pack 2 you will get booth.

So you will still have to search for single resource files.

22 hours ago, JTK222 said:

Edit 2: 1. I cannot believe how simple it is.
2. You cannot search for a Folder but only for a file.

What do  you mean by this? All of my ResourceLocations are paths to single files.

22 hours ago, JTK222 said:

Ok so after a bit of reasearch, it seems that  "getAllResources" just returns all version of a resource so, if texture pack 1 has this resource and texture pack 2 you will get booth.

So you will still have to search for single resource files.

I have tried using both getAllResources and getResource, neither of which appear to work. Furthermore, getAllResources does not appear to return all versions of the resources, according to my debugging. I will do additional debugging, but this is still unsolved :( 

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

IResource res = manager.getResource(location);
        System.out.println(res.getResourceLocation());
        return res;
}

This code is working perfectly for me.

Using following method to call it:

try {
            getResource(new ResourceLocation(DRPCoreInfo.MODID, "recipes/test.json"));
        } catch (IOException | URISyntaxException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

With Following Folder Structure: assets/modid/recipes/test.json

Edited by JTK222

3 hours ago, JTK222 said:

This code is working perfectly for me.

Yes; your code is indeed correct.

The problem was that the program I was using to generate the .zip file (one I wrote myself, actually), was formatting the file in such a way that, although it could be read by the windows zip utility, it couldn't be read by minecraft... 

What a convoluted problem... thanks for the help everyone!

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!