Tick Lag With Forge Server

About a year or two ago I started playing modded mine craft, recently I started wanting to try and play it with my friends so I set up a server with the second computer i had. I installed a mod pack that i had created, that had never given any problems in the past, onto the forge server. We had server lag to the point where it was unplayable. Obviously the first thought that came to mind was that there wasn't enough ram dedicated to the server. After changing the allocated ram and having that not work my next assumption was that the computer that was running it wasn't good enough. about a week ago I got a new little server tower to run a modded mine craft server, obviously it was better than the previous one that i had. I set it up with just one mod and still, there was extreme tick lag to the point where it just wasn't fun to play at all. we tried tweaking the dedicated ram and still there was no performance increase. it isn't client side lag or lag due to ping, we tested it with spigot and had zero server lag. This is due to forge's poor server optimization. The computer used in this video is a different one than the one being used to run the server.

Here is a screenshot of the start.bat file used in the server for forge.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/307988182962667530/316018186665328641/unknown.png

Here is another screen shot with the start.bat file of the spigot server.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/307988182962667530/316018370501804032/unknown.png

This is not so much forge's 'Poor server optimization' More 'Spigots pseudo-optimizations hiding real issues'

Forge will never run as 'fast' as Spigot because flat out, Vanilla does more stuff than Spigot does, and Forge does more than Vanilla.

Only real way to actually look into anything is with a proper profiler. If you get real numbers/hotspots that others haven't found before you then we can take a look.

You also don't actually post your logs so if there WERE issues in it, we have no idea.

Edit: Actually watching your videos I have one major thing to note... Jesus christ do you even watch your own videos? you are at ~10 of The guys on TS so I have to listen to his keyboard/smacking down the hall just so I can hear your mouse talk. Please either mute the TS or boost the volume of the important person talking. So those watching can actually hear it.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I've seen cases of people experiencing some tps issues purely because the gui for the server is showing. 

Can you try adding "nogui" without the quotation marks to the end of the batch file command and see if that helps any? 

Edited by Cloudy
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 8:24 PM, LexManos said:

Actually watching your videos I have one major thing to note... Jesus christ do you even watch your own videos? you are at ~10 of The guys on TS so I have to listen to his keyboard/smacking down the hall just so I can hear your mouse talk. Please either mute the TS or boost the volume of the important person talking. So those watching can actually hear it.

I didn't exactly care about the quality of the video, I was just trying to document the lag that we were experiencing. I have one major thing to note about your commenting, your grammar is terrible. 

"you are at ~10 of The guys on TS so I have to listen to his keyboard/smacking." Wtf, what does that sentence even mean?

Sorry, I missed one symbol in my response, you are at ~10%.

Either way, if you have actual issues report them properly not this.

I've answered your original post.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

Hello, I'm having the issue of the OP, except on a single player game, with no mods installed (except Forge) on the standard resource pack with the view distance any more than 12-15 or so.  I have my max RAM beefed up to 16GB, and my computer's specs are very high, so I don't know why I'm getting 1-2 sec lag on every action? I usually run Minecraft with 32-chunk view distance, Optifine, 512x textures, and cinematic-quality realistic shaders. My PC still keeps above 60fps with that setup.  I don't really care about the Spigot comparison because, since I still have this issue on single-player with only the bare-bones Forge installed, I don't see how Spigot even factors into this equation? Also, saying Forge "does" way more than vanilla is a completely mute point considering my usual graphics setup and the fact that my computer was running practically at idle with forge and isn't really strained with the Optifine setup either (also considering other games I can run on this PC with max settings.)  This is a basic Forge issue.  I tried going into the mods-settings under Forge to beef-up the chunks per ticket and other settings, but with little benefit.  It helped some from the default numbers, but not any more than I mentioned above.

P.S. I posted this comment yesterday, but the forum removed it? Why? Anyway, here I am posting this again!

Because I do not accept anecdotal 'my stuff is laggy it's all Forge's fault!'

Forge is constantly Profiled by many people. None of whom see anything like what you're reporting. 

All reports always either come with a bunch of mods/coremods installed, or absolutely no real information to go off of.

So start providing actual stuff we can act on and I might start caring.

VERY basic would be providing a log file from your test runs. Which is why it's part of the EAQs under "READ THIS OR YOU WILL BE BANNED" section.

Slightly higher, and more useful, would be to provide some form of profiler run. JVisualVM and JProfiler are both excellent tools for doing this.

Again, you guys give us no information to work with, make unsubstantiated claims. We can't do anything without any information. Simple as that.

Ok, fine. No need to get defensive. I'll go and get that info. I've never used JVisualVM before, so I didn't know that existed. I'll edit this post and put the info below when I get it. My "on-call" period for work starts in an hour from me posting this, so it might be a while.

Thanks.

Edit: Well, between updating Java, installing the Dev Kit to run JVisualVM a few times, and reopening Minecraft a handful of times, something changed and It fixed itself. :S  Now it runs (somehow) with the good textures, 32-chunk view-dist., Quark, etc. all without lag. Something changed, but for the better...I'll repost if something makes my computer return to the misbehaving way it was in the OP's video. For now, though, I'm fixed.

Edited by JetStream90

On 5/21/2017 at 10:28 PM, Cloudy said:

I've seen cases of people experiencing some tps issues purely because the gui for the server is showing. 

Can you try adding "nogui" without the quotation marks to the end of the batch file command and see if that helps any? 

Thanks that actually ended up helping me a little bit.