Crash on clicking [...] to change install directory

VegladeX

What the title says: I run the Forge installer, it asks for permission to change files, I click yes, it opens the installer window, I click Install Server, it says "There are already files at the target directory", so I click the ... button next to the displayed "C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft" directory filepath. Then the installer closes and I get an error log; e.g. "hs_err_pid2384.log". I'll attach one to this post.

I've done some experimenting, cut-pasted the .minecraft directory somewhere else for safekeeping and tried running the installer without anything in the way and it worked without a problem, so the issue is just about changing the install directory.

I have reason to believe that this is something to do with Java, as another Java-based application I have has been experiencing a similar crash when trying to open the file explorer to select files to open with the application, save files to a location, and change the directory where it keeps data as well. I have posted bug reports on its forum and to Oracle, but have had no help from them, so I can only hope that someone here has a clue about what's going on and what I can do about it.

Note: I can work around the issue by removing my .minecraft directory, installing the server I need in its place, and then renaming the server and reinstating .minecraft, but this does not help in resolving the issue.

hs_err_pid2384.log

This is a very odd one indeed. It's crashing in the core awt compiled code... 

I'd say try nuking any installs of java you have. Restarting your computer, then installing a nice fresh JVM from Oracle's site.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

17 hours ago, LexManos said:

This is a very odd one indeed. It's crashing in the core awt compiled code... 

I'd say try nuking any installs of java you have. Restarting your computer, then installing a nice fresh JVM from Oracle's site.

Gave it a go, no change. Nuked and reinstalled both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java just in case. However, there are a ton of files called "Java" in all my different minercaft installs (I play a lot of different modpacks and host a few for friends), so I hope it's nothing to do with those.

If there's anything else I can do to get a more relevant crash report from the core awt compiled code, please let me know.

Not particularly, I would suggest going through and killing off as many JRE's you have installed as possible. And only EVER install the 64 bit, NOT both. 

You can also try forcing the installer to use a specific JVM by download the Jar file and then running the java.exe directly as such:

{path to java.exe}\java.exe -jar {path to installer.jar}\{installer filename}.jar

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

16 hours ago, LexManos said:

Not particularly, I would suggest going through and killing off as many JRE's you have installed as possible. And only EVER install the 64 bit, NOT both. 

You can also try forcing the installer to use a specific JVM by download the Jar file and then running the java.exe directly as such:

{path to java.exe}\java.exe -jar {path to installer.jar}\{installer filename}.jar

Okay, I thought it would be a good idea to have a clean out of my modpack installs sometime soon.
You're sure there's nothing that will throw a fit if I only give it the 64 bit Java? Because if there isn't, the 32 bit version can fuck right off, it's caused me nothing but problems.
Okay, I know how to select which version of Java to use when I'm making a .bat file to run a server with, but I'm afraid I don't know how to do that to the Forge Installer. I don't even know for sure how I'm supposed to edit it at all!

10 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

There is no point in using 32-Bit Java on a 64-Bit System.

As for how to run the installer with a specific Java version, the procedure is the same as for a Minecraft Server, the installer is a Jar file as well.

Got it, 32 bit version is gone.
However, I use a .bat file to run my servers, not the .jar, so I'm going to need a bit more than that I'm afraid. In the meantime, I'll have a fiddle, see what I can do on my own......

17 hours ago, LexManos said:

Okay, tried that, no difference. Now that I've got rid of my 32 bit Java, I don't think that's connected to the problem anymore. The forge installer HAS to be using the 64 bit version.
Also, in case this is an imortant, it's the Windows install version, so it's an .exe rather than a .jar.
forge-1.7.10-10.13.4.1614-1.7.10-installer-win.exe(no longer about this version). I haven't renamed it.

Edited by VegladeX
Topic of thread changed to avoid locking

You don't rename it, when you download forge, just download the installer, not installer-win to get the jar version.

edit: Also, 1.7.10 is no longer supported here, that's half your problem. You need to update. Once a mod sees this, this thread will likely get locked. Update to 1.11.2. If you're worried about mods that haven't been updated, complain to the mod authors.

Edited by Ugdhar
1.7.10 note

I didn't think renaming it would be a thing anyway, just wanted to make that clear.

I'm not worried about mods, the version isn't important either. Overall, I'm fairly certain that this isn't a problem with Forge itself, but rather with Java, and the problem is presenting itself through the Forge installer. In fact, the crash doesn't happen at the point where mods come into it and I'm fairly certain that the crash isn't even happening in the code of the Forge Installer itself, it's just a crash that Forge is reporting and nobody else will help me!

As for why I'm using 1.7.10, it's becuase I'm running a modpack. People don't, in my experience, usually make any updates for mods past 1.7.10, some do to 1.8, but I've only very rarely seen anything past that. Something about technical limitations bacause of some crap Microsoft pulled on the core Minecraft code.
If it helps to clear anything up, I have managed to do a workaround to this problem, and have successfully installed, run, and played on a server I installed using this version of Forge. The mods aren't the problem, and I'm fairly certain it's not the Forge Installer itself either.

Heck, just to be sure, I'll download the 1.11 version and tell you that it happens exactly the same.

Edited by VegladeX
Spelling, grammar and general verbal housekeeping

21 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

I wonder if it's something broken in the MS VC runtime, since part of the error says

Maybe try removing/reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtime?

Before I do that, where can I find a download for it? I can find a Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable just fine, but I don't know if that's the right thing or not. Can't find anything that says runtime.

6 minutes ago, VegladeX said:

Before I do that, where can I find a download for it? I can find a Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable just fine, but I don't know if that's the right thing or not. Can't find anything that says runtime.

Yeah the redistributable installs the runtime files

• Like 1

Okay, I've uninstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtime, tried Forge, no difference, error log included, now how do I reinstall it? Whenever I run vcredist_x86.exe, it wants me to
"Resolve the following:

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine."
According to a search of my hard drive, I have a huge number of vcredist_x86.exes, for various different games and some drivers, so might it be something to do with one of them?

hs_err_pid5696.log

5 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

Cheers, they worked better than the last one, offered to uninstall or repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable, but I still don't see the Runtime thing reappearing after I repaired. Maybe I have to use this to remove and then reinstall the redistributable form scratch again... I'll keep the error logs coming every time I do something in case something happens in them.

hs_err_pid4948.log

Edit: tried the remove option, reinstalled, still no difference. Have another error log.

hs_err_pid8108.log

Edited by VegladeX
New event