[1.11.2] Armor action when hit

Socratic_Phoenix

So basically I'm trying to do <something> to a living entity whenever it hits another entity with some special armor. Is the only way to do this through LivingHurtEvent? If so, how do I get the entity that is doing the attacking/hurting? I know I can get it from the damage source, but what if its an arrow? I'd need the shooter of the arrow... Is there a method in DamageSource to get that entity (is it DamageSource#getEntity?)?

Thanks for any help provided!

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

I know Java pretty well... So yeah...

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!
planet9.compiler.error.CompilationException: Compiler not yet implemented
	at planet9.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:39)
	at planet9.compiler.app.CompilerApp.main(CompilerApp.java:147)

The damage source will have the entity that dealt the damage.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

23 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

The damage source will have the entity that dealt the damage.

Thanks, its working now!

But I do have another question: Is there anyway to detect when the player/an entity stops wearing the armor? Like a "de equip" event or something?

Developer of Randores (adds 256^3 ores to the game) and Arcane Bags (adds ridiculous storage with ridiculous crafting recipes).

This is where I'd put an inspirational and/or clever quote, but I can't think of one right now...

This is the output of the totally, 100% working compiler for my programming language, Planet9:

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Why do you need it?

Just listen for the event all the time, check the damaged entity's current armor, if it's yours, do The Thing.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

7 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Why do you need it?

Just listen for the event all the time, check the damaged entity's current armor, if it's yours, do The Thing.

So what I'm trying to do is give armor potion effects, when worn it will give positive effects and when an enemy hits it, the enemy gets negative effects. The LivingHurtEvent works for an enemy hitting someone with the armor, but I need to get the passive good effects working. They are properly applied, but I apply that at 20 seconds, because otherwise night vision would flash like crazy, so I need to then remove the effects once the armor is taken off.

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

Armor already has a method that's called every tick when the armor is being worn. In that event, apply the potion effect if:

a) the potion effect is not currently applied

b) the duration is < 20

Then when the armor is taken off, the potion effect will persist for a second or two, and then go away on its own.  In so doing, the blinky decay effect from Night Vision still happens when it wears off.

5 hours ago, Socratic_Phoenix said:

20 seconds

41 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Then when the armor is taken off, the potion effect will persist for a second or two

Since night vision flashes at any seconds <= 10, or any ticks <= 200, the potion effect will persist for at least 10 seconds, or 200 ticks... that's the problem I'm having; I don't really want the effect to last at all when the armor is off... 

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

I think I'll just use LivingUpdateEvent...

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

15 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

No... The armor update method is just fine. You just must not add the potions again if they are already applied to the entity.

No, its not...

My problem is that:

a. Night vision with <= 200 ticks remaining flashes (I do not want flashing while the armor is on)

b. I do not want the armor to leave 10 seconds of effect when removed

c. There appears to be no way to detect if the armor has been de-equipped

I don't think it's possible to use the armor update method to do these things... I can easily add night vision with enough ticks, but I cannot then remove it if the armor has been removed...

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!

53 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

LivingEquipmentChangeEvent

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Beginning Compilation...
Failed compilation!