[1.11.2] Minecraft Seasons: What To Expect

olrustyeye

One thing I want to add in my mod is seasons. I remember a while back a seasons mod which actually had seperate season where you woke up out of bed and BAM it was winter. 
What I want to do is have a ease of transition and unpredictable. 
What I want to know is how hard is this going to be. I would say my java experience is about a 3/10. I've taken a few classes and made a text game, but I'm not experienced enough to really hard code something like a forge API. 

My initial thoughts on this project is to look at the temperature code already in the Biomes and begin there to run something every day which rerolls the temperature as it were. and depending on the biome it would fluctuate in a 28 day cycle of 4. The idea would be as it gets colder rain would become snow. Getting more advanced I'd like to turn the biome color brown in fall-spring then green in the spring-fall. 

So again my question is: Is this WAY above my head and should I spend more time coding other things for now while I learn? Or is this something that's pretty easy to code? I'd rather not post 100 topics on the modder support asking how to do this or that. Nor would I like to waste my time on a mod that I'm not ready to write. 
Thanks for the help! :)

It's a pain in the ass.

Stop now.

If you want to look at what I did in 1.7.10 (which involved heavy use of things that shant be talked about) you can have a look at my event handler class:

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/wildlife/WildlifeEventHandler.java

Roughly:

1) store the original biome data, we need to keep records of what they are so we can calculate time offsets properly

2) modify the shit out of these numbers because some of them are garbage. We also need to calculate the variance delta (deserts have greater temperature variance than oceans because of water's thermal capacity)

3) get the current date, look up the seasonal sine waves, multiply by variance delta, add to the base value, apply back to the biome

It's ugly and there's hacks all over the place. One of the most annoying was having to deal with ice. Ice doesn't melt on its own, but water will freeze. Have fun handling that.

• Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

7 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

It's a pain in the ass.

Stop now.

If you want to look at what I did in 1.7.10 (which involved heavy use of things that shant be talked about) you can have a look at my event handler class:

https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/wildlife/WildlifeEventHandler.java

Roughly:

1) store the original biome data, we need to keep records of what they are so we can calculate time offsets properly

2) modify the shit out of these numbers because some of them are garbage. We also need to calculate the variance delta (deserts have greater temperature variance than oceans because of water's thermal capacity)

3) get the current date, look up the seasonal sine waves, multiply by variance delta, add to the base value, apply back to the biome

It's ugly and there's hacks all over the place. One of the most annoying was having to deal with ice. Ice doesn't melt on its own, but water will freeze. Have fun handling that.

Hmm. I have ADHD and I hyperfocus, so unfortunately there is no stopping me. It's only prolonging the inevitable. My solution I think is to slam my head against my desk until I go into a coma. Then I wont have to deal with this... haha.

No but seriously. I was afraid of that. Looks like a lot of hacking, which means I'll put it off for a while until I understand the biome/temperature/entire game mechanics a bit better. 
Also I never considered the impact a mod like this would have on the Nether and The End. Although it doesn't rain there or anything I edit in the overworld will be edited there and could cause issues later on. 

Why do I like coding again? Why can't I be into gardening or something? ¬¬

Edited by olrustyeye
  • Like 1

The nether and end are easy to special case. You can either ignore their biomes (set HELL and SKY to have 0 delta or if dimID abort, although both biomes CAN show up in other dimensions when other mods--like Mystcraft--are installed) or give them their own facets. I let the nether be super dry and super hot.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.