Trying to understand how Forge works

TheAwesomeGem

Does all the classes in my mod load for both the server and client?(excluding the client proxy, renderers and models are only loaded in the client) 

I know I can use world.isRemote to choose which side I want to work with.

Does all the events are called for both client and server?

Does the Item, Block, Entity, AI class gets loaded and called for both the client and server?

How do you know which class gets called for the server, client or both?(Just so I know when to use world.isRemote so I don't get desync)

Edited by TheAwesomeGem

17 minutes ago, DimensionsInTime said:

All outlined in the docs: https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/concepts/sides/

But do some experimenting to see what runs where.

if(world.isRemote){
  // Log something
}else{
  // Log something else
}

and see what happens, when it happens, where it happens.

Is there like documentation on which events/class gets run where? Like the item/block/entity class. 

Also, is capabilities clientside or serverside?

Edited by TheAwesomeGem

9 minutes ago, DimensionsInTime said:

I've never found such a resource, but if you keep the idea that game logic runs on the logical server and client interaction/graphics runs on the logical client you should be okay.

Final question, is it bad to almost do the world.isRemote check just to make sure whatever logic is only being applied to the server?

1 minute ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

Final question, is it bad to almost do the world.isRemote check just to make sure whatever logic is only being applied to the server?

That depends. 

Yes, if it is on the server, the code will run. But keep in mind that if the else case (run only on client) weill not prevent crashes from loading client size only classes

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

59 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

That depends. 

Yes, if it is on the server, the code will run. But keep in mind that if the else case (run only on client) weill not prevent crashes from loading client size only classes

What do you mean? Can you give me an example.

2 hours ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

What do you mean? Can you give me an example.

//on client
if(world.isRemote) {
    //this will crash the dedicated server
    Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();
}

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

4 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

//on client
if(world.isRemote) {
    //this will crash the dedicated server
    Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();
}

Aaah I see. Thanks for the warning. On that case, we will have to use @SideOnly

BTW world.isRemote is always false on dedicated server isn't it?

Aaah I see. Thanks for the warning. On that case, we will have to use @SideOnly

You can't just go around arbitrarily tagging methods with SideOnly

BTW world.isRemote is always false on dedicated server isn't it?

Yes. A better name for the variable is isClient

53 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

You can't just go around arbitrarily tagging methods with SideOnly

Yes. A better name for the variable is isClient

So on the code above, it wouldn't crash the server because of the isRemote check. But I see it as a good example when to use isRemote.

29 minutes ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

So on the code above, it wouldn't crash the server because of the isRemote check. But I see it as a good example when to use isRemote.

Yes it will.  Because in order to load the class (before any of the class code is even EXECUTED) the JVM has to look at the class and go "ok, here are all of the outbound calls to other classes: are they loaded into the JVM? No? Make sure they exist."

The dedicated server performs this check on net.minecraft.Minecraft and discovers that it doesn't exist. The JVM then terminates with a ClassNotFoundException.  The JVM cannot know for sure that the if(isRemote) check won't ever pass.

52 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Yes it will.  Because in order to load the class (before any of the class code is even EXECUTED) the JVM has to look at the class and go "ok, here are all of the outbound calls to other classes: are they loaded into the JVM? No? Make sure they exist."

The dedicated server performs this check on net.minecraft.Minecraft and discovers that it doesn't exist. The JVM then terminates with a ClassNotFoundException.  The JVM cannot know for sure that the if(isRemote) check won't ever pass.

Interesting. How do you fix an issue like that? Use Minecraft.getMinecraft() only on the client proxy?