[1.11.2] Rotate player arms

fcelon

Hello,

Is there any way how to rotate player arms without creating custom player model? I am sure there has to be some way, because I think Quark mod does exactly that during emote animations. I already tried this:

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@SubscribeEvent(priority=EventPriority.NORMAL, receiveCanceled=true)
public void onEvent(RenderPlayerEvent.Post event)
{
	EntityPlayer player = event.getEntityPlayer();
	if (player.getActiveItemStack().getItem() instanceof ItemSpear)
	{
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleX = 5;
	}
}

It seems everything is right, but it does not do anything.

Thanks for help.

Edited by fcelon
Forgot to write game version

Did you manage to solve it? I am also interested in knowing how to achieve this.

I did notice that the comparison with instanceof always yields false since you are asking if Item (what is returned) is an instance of ItemSpear. It is not. ItemSpear may be an instance of Item, not the other way around. Meaning the code inside the if will never run. However, I tried by making a comparison with an item's unlocalized name and the code ran, yet it didn't do anything like you said.

I don't understand why rotateAngleX, or rotateAngleY, or rotateAngleZ do nothing. The method renderWithRotation does nothing either. Only when one modifies the offsetX, offsetY, or offsetZ fields one sees the arm offsetting away, but not rotating.

Edit: Fix your code in the if statement. Use

player.getHeldItem(EnumHand.MAIN_HAND).getUnlocalizedName().toLowerCase().contains("ItemSpear".toLowerCase())

and replace "ItemSpear" with the unlocalized name of your item. Then the code inside the if will run. But like I said, the code still does nothing. It does not rotate the player's arm.

Edited by ctbe

19 hours ago, ctbe said:

I did notice that the comparison with instanceof always yields false since you are asking if Item (what is returned) is an instance of ItemSpear. It is not. ItemSpear may be an instance of Item, not the other way around. Meaning the code inside the if will never run. However, I tried by making a comparison with an item's unlocalized name and the code ran, yet it didn't do anything like you said.

ItemSpear is (presumably) a subclass of Item, so it's entirely possible for a method with Item as the return type to return an instance of ItemSpear. Checking if an ItemSpear is an instance of Item is pointless, since it will always be true.

That part of the OP's code is correct. Using unlocalised names for anything except translation/display purposes is a bad idea, since they're not unique and can change at any time.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Thanks for the information. I will not use the unlocalized name for it then.

After debugging deeper I take that what you say is correct. While debugging I get that player.getActiveItemStack().getItem() is returning an object of class ItemAir. No matter what item the player has in in the active hand or in the rest of the inventory. Don't know why.

I am sad no one knows how to achieve the rotation of the arm. I have tried so many things with no success. Modifying the offset works, but modifying the rotation doesn't. At one point I don't even know how, but I got all the mobs to float in the air and swing as the player walked. They were moving with the same rotation of the player's arm as it walked. It was funny to watch the sheeps float and swing in the air in synchrony as I walked. But the player's arm where unaffected.

Edited by ctbe
typo in code

3 hours ago, XFactHD said:

What happens if you set the rotation in RenderPlayerEvent.Pre and set it back to the original value in RenderPlayerEvent.Post?

Finished trying. Nothing happens :(.

But thanks to that tip I debugged on both events, Pre and Post and noticed that once one sets the rotation to whatever value, as soon as the event ends, the rotation value that one had set gets overridden by the Minecraft animation. When the player stands stills the arms sort of move a little. It is that small almost unnoticeable movement that is overriding the values one sets manually.

I made sme progress in it.

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	{
		if (player.getHeldItemMainhand() == ItemStack.EMPTY)
		{
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.isHidden=false;
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleX = X;
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleY = Y;
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleZ = Z;
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.renderWithRotation(0.0625F);
		}
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	public void onEvent(RenderPlayerEvent.Pre event)
	{
		if (player.getHeldItemMainhand() == ItemStack.EMPTY)
		{
			event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.isHidden=true;
		}
	}

Now it seems I can mess with the angles. Unfortunately, the arm is being rendered in wrong spot and I don't know, how to fix it.

I have tried messing with the values and it seems the arm now renders in the right spot.

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	public void onEvent(RenderPlayerEvent.Pre event)
	{
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.isHidden=true;
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	{
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.isHidden=false;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotationPointZ = -MathHelper.sin((float) Math.toRadians(player.renderYawOffset)) * 5.0F;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotationPointY = 20;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotationPointX = -MathHelper.cos((float) Math.toRadians(player.renderYawOffset)) * 5.0F;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleX = (float) X;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleY = (float) -Math.toRadians(player.renderYawOffset);
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotateAngleZ = (float) Z;
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.renderWithRotation(0.0625F);
		event.getRenderer().getMainModel().bipedRightArm.rotationPointY = 2;
	}

However, it only works if player's hand is empty. If player is holding any item, texture of the arm starts to look realy wierd.

• 9 months later...

I have a question similar to this. Is there any way to be able to make a mod with a player's arms adjusted when they are idle? I would like a pose for my friend, but I don't know how. She likes fashion, so the idle would look like this. I would also know how to do this in McCreator.2018-04-09_17_45_23.thumb.png.e414b0787065e900f47f530f81ecab6a.png

Edited by Pokegamer129

27 minutes ago, Pokegamer129 said:

can you make it look like real life

What does this even mean

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 minute ago, Pokegamer129 said:

I mean, Minecraft in real life. Imagine that. That is what I mean.

That still doesn't make any sense.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

No, that can't be done easily.