[1.11.2][Solved] Problems with Moving Entities

yolp900

I am trying to make a levitator for entities (entities, itementities and players). I created a ticking tile entity which checks the entities above it and adds to their motionY value. Also, if a player sneaks while above the levitator he should float down (without fall damage) and land on the levitator.
Here I have two problems:

1. The player always takes fall damage, even after I callentity.fallDistance = 0;. Is there any way to remove fall damage which isn't an event (since I already have a ticking tile entity, I'd like to use it for this purpose as well).

2. Items which go on the levitator and have horisontal velocity kind of "rubber band" when they are supposed to go off the levitator. Whenever the item leaves the AxisAllignedBoundingBox of the checking of the levitator, it goes back to it's position and doesn't fall off. Since I'm working on a server (if (world.isRemote()) return; at the beginning), I don't understand why this is happening. I hope someone knows how to figure it out...

my tile entity's code, a little bit oddly copied but I hope it's understandable:

@Override
public void update() {
	if (world == null || world.isRemote) return;
	List<Entity> entities = world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(Entity.class, new AxisAlignedBB(getPos().getX(), getPos().getY() + 1, getPos().getZ(), getPos().getX() + 1, getPos().getY() + 1 + ModConfig.LEVITATOR_RANGE.getValue(), getPos().getZ() + 1));
	if (entities.size() > 0) {
		for (Entity entity : entities) {
			if (entity instanceof EntityPlayer) {
				EntityPlayer player = (EntityPlayer) entity;
            	player.fallDistance = 0;
            	if (player.isSneaking()) {
					if (player.motionY > 0) {
						player.motionY -= 0.1;
    	            } else {
        	            if (player.motionY < -0.35) {
        	                player.motionY = -0.35;
            	        }
                	}
	            } else {
    	            if (!player.capabilities.isCreativeMode) {
        	            if (player.motionY < 0.35) {
            	            player.motionY += 0.1;
                	    }
                    	entity.fallDistance = 0;
	                }
				}
			} else if (entity.canBePushed()) {
				if (entity.motionY < 0.35) {
					entity.motionY += 0.1;
				}
			} else if (entity instanceof EntityItem) {
					entity.motionY += 0.1;
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by yolp900
Solved! Thank you V0idWa1k3r!

Never mind. I didn't found out that this method is only called on the client. I'll use packets for changing the motion on the server. I just need to figure out how to read and write an entity with a ByteBuf or how to get an entity from it's NBT...

Edited by yolp900
Found out why initial code didn't work.

You should always do entity motion on both sides. 

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I changed the code in the method "update". However it is only called on the client side. Is there any way to tell the server to move an entity from the client side? (I know about packets, just don't know how to pass an entity from the client to the server, so it would know which entity to move).

The new code:

Spoiler

@Override
public void update() {
    if (world == null) return;
    List<Entity> entities = world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(Entity.class, new AxisAlignedBB(getPos().getX(), getPos().getY() + 1, getPos().getZ(), getPos().getX() + 1, getPos().getY() + 1 + ModConfig.LEVITATOR_RANGE, getPos().getZ() + 1));
                EntityPlayer liftedPlayer = (EntityPlayer) entity;
                liftedPlayer.fallDistance = 0;
                if (liftedPlayer.isSneaking()) {
                    if (liftedPlayer.motionY > 0) {
                        liftedPlayer.motionY -= 0.1;
                    } else {
                        if (liftedPlayer.motionY < -0.35) {
                            liftedPlayer.motionY = -0.35;
                        }
                    }
                } else {
                    if (!liftedPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode) {
                        if (liftedPlayer.motionY < 0.35) {
                            liftedPlayer.motionY += 0.1;
                        }
                    }
                }
                    entity.motionY += 0.1;
                }
                    entity.motionY += 0.1;
                }
            }
            entity.velocityChanged = true;
            if (entity.motionY > 0) {
                if (!world.isRemote && random.nextDouble() < 0.75) {
                    NetworkHandler.sendToAllAround(new MessageParticle(ModParticles.Particles.Levitator, entity.posX - (entity.width / 2) + (random.nextDouble() * entity.width), entity.posY, entity.posZ - (entity.width / 2) + (random.nextDouble() * entity.width), random.nextDouble() + 0.25, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, 0, -entity.motionY, 0), world.provider.getDimension(), entity.posX, entity.posY, entity.posZ, 16);

}
            }
        }
    }
    double i = random.nextDouble();
    if (!world.isRemote && i < 0.15) {
            NetworkHandler.sendToAllAround(new MessageParticle(ModParticles.Particles.Levitator, getPos().getX() + random.nextDouble(), getPos().getY() + 1.01, getPos().getZ() + random.nextDouble(), random.nextDouble() + 0.25, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, 0, 0.1, 0), world.provider.getDimension(), getPos().getX() + 0.5, getPos().getY() + 1.05, getPos().getZ() + 0.5, 16);
    }
}

5 minutes ago, yolp900 said:

I changed the code in the method "update". However it is only called on the client side.

False. Your update method currently runs on both sides.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

1 minute ago, Draco18s said:

False. Your update method currently runs on both sides.

I checked if it's running on the server by adding this line to the beginning of the method:

Charming.logger.info("Is this method called by the server? " + !world.isRemote);

And this is the output I got is the following:

[19:24:23] [Client thread/INFO]: Is this method called by the server? false

Repeated every tick. No Server thread calling... Am I doing something wrong...?

Post more code. 

This is my entire TileEntityLevitator:

Spoiler

public class TileEntityLevitator extends ModTileEntity implements ITickable {
    private Random random = new Random();
    private boolean inverted;

@Override
    public void update() {
        Charming.logger.info("Is this method called by the server? " + !world.isRemote);
        if (world == null) return;
        if (on()) {
            List<Entity> entities = world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(Entity.class, new AxisAlignedBB(getPos().getX(), getPos().getY() + 1, getPos().getZ(), getPos().getX() + 1, getPos().getY() + 1 + ModConfig.LEVITATOR_RANGE.getValue(), getPos().getZ() + 1));
                        EntityPlayer liftedPlayer = (EntityPlayer) entity;
                        liftedPlayer.fallDistance = 0;
                        if (liftedPlayer.isSneaking()) {
                            if (liftedPlayer.motionY > 0) {
                                liftedPlayer.motionY -= 0.1;
                            } else {
                                if (liftedPlayer.motionY < -0.35) {
                                    liftedPlayer.motionY = -0.35;
                                }
                            }
                        } else {
                            if (!liftedPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode) {
                                if (liftedPlayer.motionY < 0.35) {
                                    liftedPlayer.motionY += 0.1;
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        if (!CharmingAPI.Levitator.isEntityBlacklistedFromLevitator(entity.getClass())) {
                                entity.motionY += 0.1;
                            }
                        }
                        if (!CharmingAPI.Levitator.isItemStackBlacklistedFromLevitator(((EntityItem) entity).getEntityItem())) {
                                entity.motionY += 0.1;
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    entity.velocityChanged = true;
                    if (entity.motionY > 0) {
                        if (!world.isRemote && random.nextDouble() < 0.75) {
                            NetworkHandler.sendToAllAround(new MessageParticle(ModParticles.Particles.Levitator, entity.posX - (entity.width / 2) + (random.nextDouble() * entity.width), entity.posY, entity.posZ - (entity.width / 2) + (random.nextDouble() * entity.width), random.nextDouble() + 0.25, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, 0, -entity.motionY, 0), world.provider.getDimension(), entity.posX, entity.posY, entity.posZ, 16);
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            double i = random.nextDouble();
            if (!world.isRemote && i < 0.15) {
                NetworkHandler.sendToAllAround(new MessageParticle(ModParticles.Particles.Levitator, getPos().getX() + random.nextDouble(), getPos().getY() + 1.01, getPos().getZ() + random.nextDouble(), random.nextDouble() + 0.25, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, (random.nextDouble() / 4) + 0.5, 0, 0.1, 0), world.provider.getDimension(), getPos().getX() + 0.5, getPos().getY() + 1.05, getPos().getZ() + 0.5, 16);
            }
        }
    }

public boolean on() {
        if (inverted) {
            return !powered();
        }
        return powered();
    }

private boolean powered() {
        return world.isBlockPowered(getPos()) || world.isBlockPowered(getPos().up()) || world.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(getPos()) != 0;
    }

@Override
    public void readFromNBT(NBTTagCompound tag) {
        this.inverted = tag.getBoolean(LibMisc.INVERTED);
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public NBTTagCompound writeToNBT(NBTTagCompound tag) {
        super.writeToNBT(tag);

tag.setBoolean(LibMisc.INVERTED, inverted);

return tag;
    }

}

This is ModTileEntity (no real need for it but I find it useful not having to copy paste this code over and over)

Spoiler

public abstract class ModTileEntity extends TileEntity {

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public NBTTagCompound getUpdateTag() {
        NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();

this.writeToNBT(tag);
        return tag;
    }

@Override
    @Nullable
    public SPacketUpdateTileEntity getUpdatePacket() {
        return new SPacketUpdateTileEntity(this.pos, 0, getUpdateTag());
    }

@Override
    public void onDataPacket(NetworkManager net, SPacketUpdateTileEntity pkt) {
        NBTTagCompound tag = pkt.getNbtCompound();
        this.readFromNBT(tag);
    }

}

This is my tile entity registry which is being called from the server-side proxy:

Spoiler

public static void registerTileEntities() {
    registerTileEntity(TileEntityLevitator.class, LibTileEntities.LEVITATOR);
}

private static void registerTileEntity(Class<? extends TileEntity> classTile, String ID) {
    GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(classTile, ID);
}

This is the block which provides the tile entity. I don't think this is related, but it might help:

Spoiler

public class BlockLevitator extends ModBlock implements ITileEntityProvider {
    public static final PropertyBool ON_STATE = PropertyBool.create(LibMisc.ON_STATE); //On = true, Off = false.

public BlockLevitator() {
        super(LibBlocks.LEVITATOR);
        this.setDefaultState(blockState.getBaseState().withProperty(ON_STATE, false));
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    protected BlockStateContainer createBlockState() {
        return new BlockStateContainer(this, ON_STATE);
    }

@Override
    public int getMetaFromState(IBlockState state) {
        return 0;
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public IBlockState getStateFromMeta(int meta) {
        return super.getStateFromMeta(meta);
    }

@Override
    public float getBlockHardness(IBlockState state, World world, BlockPos pos) {
        return 4F;
    }

@Override
    public float getExplosionResistance(World world, BlockPos pos, @Nonnull Entity exploder, Explosion explosion) {
        return 9.5F;
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public Material getMaterial(IBlockState state) {
        return Material.IRON;
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public IBlockState getActualState(@Nonnull IBlockState state, IBlockAccess world, BlockPos pos) {
        TileEntity tile = world.getTileEntity(pos);
        if (tile == null || !(tile instanceof TileEntityLevitator)) return super.getActualState(state, world, pos);
        TileEntityLevitator tileLevitator = (TileEntityLevitator) tile;
        return state.withProperty(ON_STATE, tileLevitator.on());
    }

@Nullable
    @Override
    public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(@Nonnull World worldIn, int meta) {
        return new TileEntityLevitator();
    }
}

Anything else I can post which might help this situation?

Well, I can tell you to stop using ITileEntityProvider because it is old and unnecessary. Just override hasTE and getTE in the block class. 

Won't solve your problem, though. 

• Like 1

I updated to the latest Forge and this seems to be fixed. I'm not sure why, didn't see anything in the changelogs but that's good!
However, a new problem has appeared now, the tile entity starts updating (the update method is only called) after the player hits and updates the block (not updates as in redstone update or block update, but updating the visuals, starting to break the block by left clicking on it). I thought the methods in ModTileEntity:

18 hours ago, yolp900 said:

This is ModTileEntity (no real need for it but I find it useful not having to copy paste this code over and over)

Reveal hidden contents

would prevent this from happenning, nut apparently I don't understand the way this "update()" method is called.

You have to call these methods when the data changes:

worldObj.markBlockRangeForRenderUpdate(pos, pos);
        worldObj.notifyBlockUpdate(pos, getState(), getState(), 3);
        worldObj.scheduleBlockUpdate(pos,this.getBlockType(),0,0);
        markDirty();

Do I have to call these methods whenever I call a new TileEntity with data? I mean, The tile entity works great but whenever I re-enter the world it needs to be hit to function.

The only thing I can think which would solve this is to somehow update the tile entity on the constructor, which sounds horrible preformance-wise... Is there something else I can do?

I have tried putting these methods in the tile entitie's constructor, but there was no difference. Every time I enter a world which have one of my tile entities, I need to update it manually by hitting it so it'll start to work. Anybody knows of a solution to this problem or maybe has a different update method than what I use which works?

okay, but the problem I have is not that the data isn't changing, but it is that the method "update" isn't being called until one hits the block and causes it to update on the client or something like that. My logger isn't called until I hit the block, and I don't understand why. Unless it's the same thing and I don't understand the connection, I don't think calling this would change anything.

8 minutes ago, yolp900 said:

The tile entity's constructor isn't called until I hit the block.

THAT doesn't even make sense. 

I thought that my self. added a logger.info("Called") line and it's not called on the client when I enter the world but only when I hit the block (It is called by the server, but the boolean isn't saved anywhere and it doesn't update until I left click the block). I really don't know what's going on. This isn't the first tile entity I've made but it's the most odd...

Assuming that your TE's code had not changed

On 6/28/2017 at 7:50 PM, yolp900 said:

@Override public void readFromNBT(NBTTagCompound tag) { this.inverted = tag.getBoolean(LibMisc.INVERTED); }

I think you are missing a super call here. You at the very least need to know the position of TE from the NBT so it can be loaded into the world properly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Assuming that your TE's code had not changed

I think you are missing a super call here. You at the very least need to know the position of TE from the NBT so it can be loaded into the world properly.

That was it! fixed both of my problems! thank you very much! :)