Just a reminder for JSON texture domains...

Winseven4lyf

I was pulling my hair out for a while, wondering why my textures wouldn't load. Then I looked at the logs and saw it was looking for the texture in the domain "minecraft". About 10 minutes later, I realised I didn't put a domain in the JSON file's texture.

For example, take this JSON inside your mod:

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
    "textures": {
        "layer0": "items/item_name"
    }
}

Because there is no domain at the beginning of "layer0", it defaults to the domain "minecraft".

To fix this, prepend your mod id and a ":" to the tag:

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
    "textures": {
        "layer0": "modid:items/item_name"
    }
}

I hope this helps someone else who is also pulling their hair out.

Edited by Winseven4lyf
Prepend "modid:" could be interpreted literally

Yeah, most people realize that already.

I wrote up a documentation page for it over on Stack Overflow a while back, too.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

13 minutes ago, Alexiy said:

There is a minecraft section in StackOverflow? Why there?

Minecraft is a tag on Stack Overflow (so is Minecraft Forge) and when Documentation happened I was all "yes, this would be a nice thing to have" so that there was a community managed*, central repository of Minecraft modding examples.

Documentation (as a feature) has (largely) failed, but those articles I wrote are still there.

*Pull Requests to Read the Docs don't count: if the owner(s) of the git repo disappears for any reason, they can't accept the PRs. Not to mention the fact that the Read the Docs doesn't even mention json models and a whole slew of other topics.  Like a page on how to get started, which has an existing PR that has had no action in six months.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.