(SOLVED) [1.12] Registering a fuel handler is not working

xyz

Hello, I am trying to register a simple fuel handler but it's not working, while the event function is definitely being called (tested this), the fuel handler simply has no effect in-game, this is my code to register the fuel handler via GameRegistry:

@EventHandler
	public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event){
  		GameRegistry.registerFuelHandler(new FuelHandler());
	}

And this is my fuel handler class:

private class FuelHandler implements IFuelHandler{

@Override
	public int getBurnTime(ItemStack fuel) {
		if (fuel.getItem() == Items.DIAMOND){
			return 100;
		}
		return 0;
	}

}

I have tried moving the actual registering (GameRegistry.registerFuelHandler()) to the FMLInitializationEvent and the FMLPostInitializationEvent, but to no avail.

Is this just a side effect of the migration to the new way of registering things which will be fixed eventually or is there something wrong/missing in my code?

Edited by xyz

Forge explicitly excludes vanilla Items from having their burn time determined by IFuelHandlers, so it's not currently possible to modify the burn time of a vanilla Item.

If this PR is merged, you'll be able to modify vanilla burn times using an event.

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

22 minutes ago, Choonster said:

Forge explicitly excludes vanilla Items from having their burn time determined by IFuelHandlers, so it's not currently possible to modify the burn time of a vanilla Item.

If this PR is merged, you'll be able to modify vanilla burn times using an event.

Thanks a lot for the quick and helpful response!