[1.12] Crafting Recipe Search Not Working

SantaSenpai

I just installed Forge (1.12-forge1.12-14.21.1.2387) and Optifine on top, and everything works fine for me, except that when crafting, I can't seem to search anything (see screenshot)!

minecraft 1 12 7_11_2017 9_51_52 pm

I'm sure it's not the resource pack that I use, because when I quit and used vanilla launcher, recipe book searching works as normal

Hm, I just noticed that this only manifest on my Realm world. On singleplayer world, the search is working normally. Then, if I exit that world without quitting the program/client, and enter my Realm world again, recipe book searching works again as normal. It's just that when I start the Forge client and immediately enter a Realm world that recipe searching does not work.

Interesting, The system is baked no matter what you connect to so this shouldn't be an issue.

Sadly I don't have any realm servers to test on. SO thats one avenue I haven't tested.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

10 hours ago, LexManos said:

Interesting, The system is baked no matter what you connect to so this shouldn't be an issue.

Sadly I don't have any realm servers to test on. SO thats one avenue I haven't tested.

As I have a fairly clean and fresh install of Minecraft and Forge and I realized I should have a Realms trial to use I did some quick testing with Minecraft 1.12 and Forge 14.21.1.2407. This Minecraft/Forge installation has never had any mods installed at all. Both Minecraft and Forge were installed using the native Windows installers and everything has been left at default (more or less, a visual setting here and an audio setting there but only vanilla stuff and nothing special).

The Realms world I started is completely fresh and based on a template (lost civilization I believe it was called), everything left at default. After playing a bit to get more than a single page of recipes in my recipe book I tried searching and had no issues with the vanilla client nor did I have any issues with the recipe book when I restarted the client with Forge.

Here's the fml-client-latest from the Forge enabled session

As I was under the impression that I had installed recommended versions everywhere I didn't pay attention to my Forge version until now where I noticed that recommended is 2387 and not 2407. That doesn't make this small test case completely invalid but my OCD demands that I switch to the proper version and fix this ever so slight unbalancing of the Universe, especially since the user who reported the issue to begin with was using 2387.

And then things got interesting...

I installed 2387 and went back in to play around some more (I had a map to follow...which was way less exciting than I had hoped, just lead me to another town but whatever, it had me roaming around doing more stuff for a while) when I remembered that I meant to test the search thing with 2387 as well just to satisfy my OCD. Opened a crafting table, started typing Furna... into the search field and...nothing! Typing into the search field blanks out the recipe book completely no matter what you type.

I restarted the whole thing and tried again, still nothing. In my case though simply disconnecting and reconnecting to the Realms server fixed it, after logging in the second time without closing Minecraft itself searching works again.

After doing this a few times I restarted everything again and switched back to 2407 to see if it behaved the same way and it did, search was no longer working with that version either but would be restored by disconnecting and reconnecting.

fml-client-latest from 3 test cases, gist reordered them for some reason. The middle one is the first one where I simply tested that search wasn't working with 2387. The top one is the second one where I, still with 2387, tested that search didn't work then disconnected and reconnected where search worked again. The last one is with 2407 again where search is not working.

Only change to the client from the first test is that I installed 2387. OTher than that I just played on the Realms server doing normal things (as in not doing anything weird to intentionally try to break anything).

This is starting to piss me off.

Now I can't replicate the first test where search worked with Forge no matter what I do. I wiped Minecraft (uninstalled the native stuff, deleted the remains, then deleted the entire .minecraft folder) reinstalled it along with only Forge 2407 and started a new Realm world. Searching breaks instantly with Forge even with only a single recipe in the book.

The only difference is that the first test was done with a completely fresh Realms account (I've never logged in to Realms before) with no content at all where the last test was done with a new world in a different slot (you get three slots to create worlds in but only one is active at a time). Realms does do things beyond what you do when you're playing like creating frequent backups so your data stored on the Realms servers do grow in size over time...but why would that break the recipe book with Forge?

13 hours ago, LexManos said:

It occurred to me that I'm assuming a lot of things here not having actually played Minecraft almost at all for a while so I tried something else..

I set up a vanilla 1.12 server locally and the same thing happens there. Completely fresh world with only a single wood log in hand and thus a single recipe for planks and search breaks with Forge (Still 2407 and nothing else done with the client). Disconnecting and reconnecting without restarting the client fix things.

There is one thing that does stand out in the logs that shows up when you disconnect the first time, namely this:

14:56:19 game [12:56:19] [main/INFO] [FML]: Applying holder lookups
14:56:19 game [12:56:19] [main/INFO] [FML]: Holder lookups applied

I'm guessing that means that Forge is caching something so the next connection goes smoother which in turn doesn't trigger the search issue.

With that I'm out of time for now.

Edited by Ravenleft
log -> wood log cause it looked a bit confusing with "log in"

Fixed: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/commit/872d721e77a022c1ae63ba9613dbaa140c76b47b Not exactly how i'd like to do it but it works. Need to speak with cpw more about his networking code to make it better.

Get the latest Forge version.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 8 months later...

LexManos says they fixed this problem for   twitch > forge > minecraft > craftguide  ?  but is this fix compatible with minecraft 1.7.10 ?  that's the version im on with my BF and I'm not sure how to apply it to my minecraft so my craft-guide search option works again.    as the OP indicated, when i type -anything at all- into the search,  all item icons vanish and i can select -nothing- from the blank mod search results...   in 1.6.4 craft guide worked fine for us, but in 1.7.10 i have the OP's problem when i attempt to search using craftguide(build 1.6.8.2)

• Guest locked this topic