[1.12] [Solved] Custom sound unable to play, "empty soundEvent"

Lyeoj

Hello,

So I haven't done much modding since 1.7.10 but am starting to get back into it and figure out how 1.12 works and I am attempting to add a custom sound. So I think I've figured out the new registry stuff and have registered a soundEvent. Just in case, here's what my soundEvent looks like:

public static final SoundEvent SNIPER_SHOOT = new SoundEvent(new ResourceLocation(ApexMobs.MODID, "sniperskeleton.shoot")).setRegistryName("snipershoot");

and the register entry:

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerSoundEvents(RegistryEvent.Register<SoundEvent> event) {	
		event.getRegistry().register(AMSoundEvents.SNIPER_SHOOT);		
	}

Next up, here's my sounds.json file, this is the part most unfamiliar to me:

{
"sniperskeleton.shoot": {
	"category": "master",
	"sounds": [
	{
		"name": "apexmobs:/sniper/sniperbow","stream":false
	}
	]
}
}

When I attempt to play the sound through an item in the game, I get a console error: [main/WARN]: Unable to play empty soundEvent: apexmobs:sniperskeleton.shoot

The part where I think something has most likely gone wrong is the .json file. I am always confused as to what parts of the pathname need to be included and what parts don't. For context, my sound file is "sniperbow.ogg" located in the package "assets.apexmobs.sounds.sniper". 

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by Lyeoj
Issue resolved

43 minutes ago, Lyeoj said:

"name": "apexmobs:/sniper/sniperbow","stream":false

I believe the problem is the "/" after"apexmobs:"

• Like 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Hey, that fixed it! Thanks a bunch! I had initially copied the .json file from a tutorial which had that "/" there, but it had slightly different package layouts and was also a few versions outdated. I tried a bunch of different combinations for the pathname such as including "/assets" and the file extension, and even removed the leading forward slash for a few combinations. I do feel a bit silly that I hadn't tried this simplest combination, but thanks again for the help!

3 minutes ago, Lyeoj said:

Hey, that fixed it! Thanks a bunch! I had initially copied the .json file from a tutorial which had that "/" there, but it had slightly different package layouts and was also a few versions outdated. I tried a bunch of different combinations for the pathname such as including "/assets" and the file extension, and even removed the leading forward slash for a few combinations. I do feel a bit silly that I hadn't tried this simplest combination, but thanks again for the help!

No problem, and for reference on somethings forge has some documentation. Sounds are in this as well as a variety of other useful things.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.