[1.10] [solved]Nullpointerexception when trying to Skin items. (I put it in preinit instead of init)

oldcheese

My Lang file also isn't naming my items, so either I Didn't manage to initialize the item correctly or my Resources aren't set up properly. 

However, to make items, they just show up with squares instead of anything usefull.

net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoaderExceptionModCrash: Caught exception from RolePVP (RPVP)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.cheese.rpvp.render.ItemRenderRegister.reg(ItemRenderRegister.java:18)
	at com.cheese.rpvp.render.ItemRenderRegister.registerItemRenderer(ItemRenderRegister.java:14)
	at com.cheese.rpvp.ClientProxy.preInit(ClientProxy.java:13)
	at com.cheese.rpvp.Main.preInit(Main.java:23)

There's my error. Now for the codes. 

@EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e) {
23    	Main.proxy.preInit(e);
    	RPVPItems.createItems();
    }

That's the first offending line,, just me invoking the Proxy files. 

public class ClientProxy extends CommonProxy{

@Override
    	ItemRenderRegister.registerItemRenderer();
        super.preInit(e);
    }

Part of my ItemRenderer class that I had hoped to use to render multiple items down the line.

As you can see I invoke the method in my Preinitialization.

package com.cheese.rpvp.render;
import com.cheese.rpvp.Main;
import com.cheese.rpvp.items.RPVPItems;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;

public final class ItemRenderRegister {
	public static String modid = Main.MODID;

public static void registerItemRenderer(){
		reg(RPVPItems.testitem);
	}

public static void reg(Item item){
		Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));
	}

}

There's the entire Itemrenderer class.  I send an item through to reg. This is where the nullpointerexception mainly takes place it seems. 

package com.cheese.rpvp.items;

import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public final class RPVPItems {

public static BasicItem testitem = new BasicItem("testitem");
	public static void createItems(){
		GameRegistry.register(testitem);
	}

}

This is the code I use to create items. Here's where I list them. It's just for generic items so I use one class for most of them. 

package com.cheese.rpvp.items;

import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;

public class BasicItem extends Item{

public BasicItem(String unlocalizedName){
		super();
		this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName);
		this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.MATERIALS);
		this.setRegistryName(unlocalizedName);
	}

}

Finally here's the class I use for BasicItem.

That should be all important classes. Now for hierarchy 

Link to imgur

Here's a screenshot of how that's setup. as you can see I have a assets.rpvp.models.item with the Json listed here:

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
    "textures": {
        "layer0": "rpvp:items/testitem"
     },

"display": {
        "thirdperson": {
            "rotation": [-90,0,0],
            "translation": [0,1,-3],
            "scale": [0.55,0.55,0.55]
        },
        "firstperson": {
            "rotation": [0,-135,25],
            "translation": [0,4,2],
            "scale": [1.7,1.7,1.7]
        }
    }
}

I've tried changing testitem to different things. I've tried changing my fully Caps RPVP to rpvp for the modid. nothing much helped. I keep getting a nullpointer even though I clearly state most locations.

vCaiD5S[1].png

Edited by oldcheese

If I'm not mistaking, the item needs to be registered in the game registry before registering its model. The calling order must change as so

@EventHandler
  		RPVPItems.createItems();  	
  		Main.proxy.preInit(e);
    }

43 minutes ago, ctbe said:

If I'm not mistaking, the item needs to be registered in the game registry before registering its model. The calling order must change as so

@EventHandler
  		RPVPItems.createItems();  	
  		Main.proxy.preInit(e);
    }

The items aren't a problem. I'm able to create the item in game when I comment out my Renderer. The renderer is causing a nullpointer. Changing the order changed nothing for me. I'm getting the exact same error.

Either ItemModelMesher or RenderItem is null. You can test which one of them is giving null by first getting each one of them into a variable and debugging to see which one of them is been null. To solve it and not debug anything, use ModelLoader instead of ModelMesher.

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"))

45 minutes ago, oldcheese said:

The items aren't a problem. I'm able to create the item in game when I comment out my Renderer. The renderer is causing a nullpointer. Changing the order changed nothing for me. I'm getting the exact same error.

Loading a world happens waaaaaaaaay after item creation and registration. Your objection is wrong. Your renderer is broken because its happening BEFORE YOUR ITEMS EXIST. 

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

12 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Loading a world happens waaaaaaaaay after item creation and registration. Your objection is wrong. Your renderer is broken because its happening BEFORE YOUR ITEMS EXIST. 

How would I even change this? 

I've changed my code so that items are created first, then the proxies are called 

@EventHandler
    	RPVPItems.createItems();
    	Main.proxy.preInit(e);
    }

so now the items exist, then it calls the preinit in the proxies. Which means that my items should exist before I attempt to render them. Is there some other way to fix my Item existing? 

Perhaps the way I make items is wrong?  I've used the method above, but even when I Initialize my item right in the start by adding 

//items
    public static BasicItem testitem = new BasicItem("testitem");

to the code before the preinit it won't really change the crash.

Edit: I'm an idiot. is Rendering items an INIT task instead of preinit? Because it worked perfectly when I added it to the init code instead of PreInit. 

Jesus christ I spend like 5 hours staring at this code and it turns out it's a little tiny thing that could've easily been avoided if I re-read the documentation for a second :/

Thanks for the help!

Edited by oldcheese
I'm an idiot.

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

This is your problem.

You need to use ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation in preInit, not this.

I do use this funciton in Preinit. Preinit calls RegisterItemrenderer(); which is a method that contains the line of code you quoted.

The way It seems to work is when I put my ItemRenderer in my Init instead of my preInit everything works just fine.

22 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

My bad. I'm a bigger idiot than I thought, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. English isn't my main language.

I thought you meant the new ModelLoaderResource that you'd use in the original long string, I get what you mean now.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by oldcheese