[Resolved] [1.10.2] Change Item NBT When Holding Player Logs Out (in SP and MP)

noahc3

Hello!

I have some items which have a timer that compares current system time and a stored system time while activated to determine when the item is "depleted" and should be removed from the players inventory. The problem is, if a player logs out with the item in an active state (determined by a NBT boolean value) and logs back in long enough after that the item would be considered old enough, the item depletes itself. To combat this, I figure I should detect if the player the item is held by is logging off, and when that happens, change necessary NBT values so that the item is in the disabled state by the time the player logs back in.

I figure I should be using the PlayerEvent.OnPlayerLoggedOut event to do this, but I'm not sure how to implement the event so I can call an item's method.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT:

I basically have this working with the following in an event handler class:

public class ASEventHandler {

@SubscribeEvent
    public void PlayerLoggedOutEvent(PlayerEvent.PlayerLoggedOutEvent event) {

EntityPlayer player = event.player;
        InventoryPlayer inv = event.player.inventory;
        ArrayList<ItemStack> items = new ArrayList<>();

for(int i=0; i < inv.getSizeInventory(); i++) {
            if (!(inv.getStackInSlot(i) == AbilityStones.blankItemStack)) {
                if(ModItems.isStackAbilityStone(inv.getStackInSlot(i))){
                    if (inv.getStackInSlot(i).getTagCompound().getInteger("Enabled") == 1) {
                        disableRegularStone(inv.getStackInSlot(i));
                    }
                } else if (inv.getStackInSlot(i).getItem() == ModItems.advancedAbilityStone) {
                    disableAdvancedStone(player, inv.getStackInSlot(i));
                }
            }
        }

}

private void disableRegularStone(ItemStack stack) {
        --- change regular nbt to off state ---
    }

private void disableAdvancedStone(EntityPlayer playerIn, ItemStack stack) {

--- change advanced nbt to off state ---
    }

private void cleanupEffects(ItemStack stack, Entity entity) {

--- extra cleanup the advanced stone might need to perform ---

}

}

where the code under disableRegularStone, disableAdvancedStone and cleanupEffects are near duplicates of that in their respective item classes.

While it does work, I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know of a way to keep the methods in the item classes themselves, rather than duplicate the code into a static event handler.

Edited by noahc3

Edit: Disclaimer. I'm new to Forge modding, so I'm sure someone will come along and prove that what I said didn't quite work. I'm just offering my vision on this. It's worth a shot.

It should be possible to call an event from your item class, as long as you register said event in the proper place. So if you don't want to duplicate the code elsewhere that's your sollution. Though it's not a bad practice to have all your eventhandlers in one place.  you could always create a method that's accesible outside of your Item for specific tasks.

An alternative sollution would be to have your item deplete X amount of it's 'energy' so to speak every X ticks. This would make sure that it would just drain whenever it was on, rather than when it's 'opened' and 'closed'. That way you wouldn't have to go out of your way to create a special event when the player logs on or off, because it wouldn't drain when the player was offline. 

For this you could implement an eventhandler with one of the subclasses of the TickEvent class.

You could create a tickhandler that counts ticks, then executes your code after X ticks (like 200 for dropping charge every 10 seconds).

If you are worried about performance, you could use a PlayerTickHandler which should only run on the client, then send a Packet to the server telling how much charge you have.

The final thing I can imagine is adding a simple If statement to your Item file to check how long a player has been logged in. I've tried this in my Single player world and EntityPlayer.ticksExisted returns a low amount on playerlogin. So you could add a clause that doesn't deplete your item when ticksExisted is low. That seems like the easiest sollution. However I believe ticksExisted is also low after a player dies. so keep that in mind.

Edited by oldcheese
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 10:01 AM, oldcheese said:

Edit: Disclaimer. I'm new to Forge modding, so I'm sure someone will come along and prove that what I said didn't quite work. I'm just offering my vision on this. It's worth a shot.

It should be possible to call an event from your item class, as long as you register said event in the proper place. So if you don't want to duplicate the code elsewhere that's your sollution. Though it's not a bad practice to have all your eventhandlers in one place.  you could always create a method that's accesible outside of your Item for specific tasks.

An alternative sollution would be to have your item deplete X amount of it's 'energy' so to speak every X ticks. This would make sure that it would just drain whenever it was on, rather than when it's 'opened' and 'closed'. That way you wouldn't have to go out of your way to create a special event when the player logs on or off, because it wouldn't drain when the player was offline. 

For this you could implement an eventhandler with one of the subclasses of the TickEvent class.

You could create a tickhandler that counts ticks, then executes your code after X ticks (like 200 for dropping charge every 10 seconds).

If you are worried about performance, you could use a PlayerTickHandler which should only run on the client, then send a Packet to the server telling how much charge you have.

The final thing I can imagine is adding a simple If statement to your Item file to check how long a player has been logged in. I've tried this in my Single player world and EntityPlayer.ticksExisted returns a low amount on playerlogin. So you could add a clause that doesn't deplete your item when ticksExisted is low. That seems like the easiest sollution. However I believe ticksExisted is also low after a player dies. so keep that in mind.

I used to track the items life by using a tick counter, however I was forced to change this due to the fact that anytime NBT is updated, the item (if held) performs the re-equip animation, which looks very strange even with longer tick delays. In 1.8 this could be dealt with by enabling some flag that disables the re-equip animation, but this has a different effect in 1.10+ in which when you swap items, it actually doesn't change what item is rendered in hand (this might be a Forge bug).

Ticks existed also won't work since the item can be toggled on and off, therefore it could realistically be "alive" for an indefinite amount of time.

I'll probably go ahead with what you initially suggested and just have a single static helper class that stores various NBT and player manipulation methods. Thanks!

Edited by noahc3