[1.10.2] Capabilities unsynced when opening Creative inventory

Tomlabete

Hello !

I'm on a keys&locks mod that works pairwise with a sponge plugin (not relevant here, though, just remember that it's mainly serversided mecanics).

My items have a code-capability that stores a key-code in them that is checked whenever a player tries to open a closed chest/door/trapdoor. Everything works perfectly well with survival inventories : the plugin sends codes to the server-side items, they keep it and re-send it when asked by the plugin.

But the problem occurs with Creative inventory : as soon as a Creative inventory is opened, all keys and locks contained in it are reset to a code "0".

It happens because the client-side capability is never updated and stays at zero. My question is : what is the best way for me to send the code from the server to the client when code is configured ?

I'm not good at all with packages. I guess it will be about it, so if you guys could give me some tutorial links with a quick explanation of what I should do in my particular case, I would be really grateful :)

Thanks, have a nive day !

> Tomlabete: post code

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Ok, np. Here is my Item class, keys and locks are instances of it.

public class McfrCodedItem extends McfrItem {

public McfrCodedItem(String name, CreativeTabs tab) {
    super(name, 1, tab);
    setHasSubtypes(true);
  }

@Override
  public String getUnlocalizedName(ItemStack stack) {
    return getUnlocalizedName() + "." + (stack.getMetadata() == 0 ? "blank" : "coded");
  }

@Override
  @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
  public void getSubItems(Item itemIn, CreativeTabs tab, List<ItemStack> subItems) {
    subItems.add(new ItemStack(itemIn, 1, 0)); // metadata = 0 --> Blank key/lock, unusable
    subItems.add(new ItemStack(itemIn, 1, 1)); // metadata = 1 --> Coded key/lock, usable
  }

public void setCode(EntityPlayer player, int code) {
    ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItem(), 1, 1); // replace item in hand with coded item

if (stack.hasCapability(KeyCode.Provider.KEY_CODE_CAP, null)) {
      IKeyCode keyCode = stack.getCapability(KeyCode.Provider.KEY_CODE_CAP, null);
      keyCode.set(code);
    }

player.setHeldItem(EnumHand.MAIN_HAND, stack);
  }

@SideOnly(Side.SERVER)
  public Optional<Integer> getCode(EntityPlayer player) {
    ItemStack stack = player.getHeldItemMainhand();
    if (stack.getMetadata() == 1 && stack.hasCapability(KeyCode.Provider.KEY_CODE_CAP, null)) // Check if item is coded
      return Optional.of(stack.getCapability(KeyCode.Provider.KEY_CODE_CAP, null).get()); //Optional.of(code) if coded
    else
      return Optional.empty(); //Optional.empty() if blank
  }
}

The setCode(player, code) and getCode(player) methods are called from my Sponge plugin. I would like to sync client-item-capabilities with server-item-capabilities whenever setCode is called.

Here is my capability class. Provider and Storage are static classes inside it.

public class KeyCode implements IKeyCode {
  private int code = 0;

@Override
  public int get() {
    return this.code;
  }

@Override
  public void set(int code) {
    this.code = code;
  }

public static class Storage implements IStorage<IKeyCode> {

@Override
    public NBTBase writeNBT(Capability<IKeyCode> capability, IKeyCode instance, EnumFacing side) {
      NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();
      tag.setInteger("keyCode", instance.get());
      return tag;
    }

@Override
    public void readNBT(Capability<IKeyCode> capability, IKeyCode instance, EnumFacing side, NBTBase nbt) {
      NBTTagCompound tag = (NBTTagCompound) nbt;
      instance.set(tag.getInteger("keyCode"));
    }
  }

public static class Provider implements ICapabilitySerializable<NBTBase> {

@CapabilityInject(IKeyCode.class)
    public static final Capability<IKeyCode> KEY_CODE_CAP = null;

private IKeyCode instance = KEY_CODE_CAP.getDefaultInstance();

@Override
    public boolean hasCapability(Capability<?> capability, EnumFacing facing) {
      return capability == KEY_CODE_CAP;
    }

@Override
    public <T> T getCapability(Capability<T> capability, EnumFacing facing) {
      return capability == KEY_CODE_CAP ? KEY_CODE_CAP.<T>cast(this.instance) : null;
    }

@Override
    public NBTBase serializeNBT() {
      return KEY_CODE_CAP.getStorage().writeNBT(KEY_CODE_CAP, this.instance, null);
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(NBTBase nbt) {
      KEY_CODE_CAP.getStorage().readNBT(KEY_CODE_CAP, this.instance, null, nbt);
    }
  }
}

Handling of the attachCapabilities event :

public class ItemEventsHandler {
  public static final ResourceLocation KEY_CODE_CAP = new ResourceLocation(Constants.MOD_ID, "keyCode");

@SubscribeEvent
  public void onAttachEntityCapabilities(AttachCapabilitiesEvent<Item> event) {
    if (event.getObject() instanceof McfrCodedItem) {
      event.addCapability(KEY_CODE_CAP, new KeyCode.Provider());
    }
  }
}

And finally, the line in my Init method, in main class :

CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IKeyCode.class, new KeyCode.Storage(), KeyCode.class);

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Tomlabete

That's true, I don't use initCapabilities at all, I'm going to try this, but will data be transmitted from the server to the client and then back to the server with only this ?

Here is the gitHub folder where you can find the capability (KeyCode), its interface (IKeyCode) and the Item class (McfrCodedItem).

https://github.com/Mc-Fr/Forge/tree/master/Forge1.10/src/main/java/net/mcfr/mecanisms/keys

Here is the event handler that I need to delete and replace by usage of initCapabilities (doing this tomorrow).

https://github.com/Mc-Fr/Forge/blob/master/Forge1.10/src/main/java/net/mcfr/event/ItemEventsHandler.java

Here's your tutorial for networking, since nobody linked it before: https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking/simpleimpl/

Honestly. Packets are very important and you should learn it at some point or another. With a lot of capabilities it's hard to get the client updated, My sollution was to send all capability updates in a synchronisation packet when the player logs in. 

Here's an example that I'm currently using to send capability info to the client: 

public class SmallMessage implements IMessage {
    public SmallMessage(){}
    private NBTTagCompound toSend;
    public SmallMessage(NBTTagCompound tag){
        this.toSend = tag;
    }

@Override
    public void toBytes(ByteBuf buf) {
        ByteBufUtils.writeTag(buf, this.toSend);
    }

@Override
    public void fromBytes(ByteBuf buf) {
        this.toSend = ByteBufUtils.readTag(buf);
    }

public static class MessageHandler implements IMessageHandler<SmallMessage, IMessage> {

@Override
        public IMessage onMessage(final SmallMessage content, final MessageContext ctx) {

FMLCommonHandler.instance().getWorldThread(ctx.netHandler).addScheduledTask(new Runnable(){
                @Override
                public void run(){
                    final IBarHandler handler = Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getCapability(CAPABILITY_BAR, null);
                    NBTTagCompound tag = content.toSend;
                    handler.setMana(tag.getInteger("mana"));
                    handler.setHealth(tag.getInteger("health"));
                    handler.setFatigue(tag.getInteger("fatigue"));
                }
            });
                return null;
        }

}
}

and I call it using 

if(player.hasCapability(CAPABILITY_BAR, null)) {
            final IBarHandler instance = getHandler(player);
            final NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();
            tag.setInteger("mana", instance.getMana());
            tag.setInteger("health", instance.getHealth());
            tag.setInteger("fatigue", instance.getFatigue());
            Main.packetHandler.barWrapper.sendTo(new SmallMessage(tag), (EntityPlayerMP) player);
        }

Obviously you could easily add whatever information to the NBTTagCompound or even work with TagLists and such. The rest of the code is initiated in the way you see in the documentations linked above. If you read it through thoroughly you should be able to get a packet working.

• Like 1

Well, I did it all and this is not working. Packet is sent and received, the code is transmitted from server to client, but I can't find a way to update the ItemStack. It seems that it's overwritten by the server without taking the capability into account. The code of the key/lock is always 0 (default) on the client. On the server it can be anything, but as soon as I open Creative inventory, all codes are reset...

I tried to change the quantity and the item type of the stack but nothing is happening, I guess the client hasn't any right to tell which ItemStack is in the inventory of the player.

Any idea for me ?

(I found this thread on a same topic, unsolved yet...)

I think this can help me, but after a deep look in all the related threads, I can't figure out how exactly can I attach my capability data to the stack NBT.

When I try this on the server, I am disconnected with an error on the server console as soon as I take a key/lock in my hand :

@Override
  public NBTTagCompound getNBTShareTag(ItemStack stack) {
    stack.getTagCompound().setInteger("keyCode", stack.getCapability(KeyCode.Provider.KEY_CODE_CAP, null).get());
    return stack.getTagCompound();
  }

The error :

b307a23154.png

Edited by Tomlabete

stack.getTagCompound() is not guaranteed to return anything.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.