Flowerpot hook

asdw420

Would it be possible to extend the vanilla flowerpot to make it easier for developers to add their own plants/saplings/pot-able things that have the ability to be placed in flowerpots?

Relevant issue:
https://github.com/Vazkii/Quark/issues/707

https://github.com/Shadows-of-Fire/Plants/issues/48
https://github.com/Glitchfiend/BiomesOPlenty/issues/1153

Yea but what happens when more than one mod (like Plants and Biomes O' Plenty) all do that? You run into issues that are hard to fix unless it is baked into forge. If forge replaced vanilla flower pots with there own and made so it could accept any item that supports it then various mods can all use the same flower pot and even make copies of that pot so they can have different colors (Quark) and possible even different models.

2 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Then you have different flower pot blocks for each mod. And?

Why do we only have one bucket then? Every mod that adds a liquid should just have their own bucket for their own fluids

Why do we have Forge Energy? Every mod dev should just add their own energy if they want energy in their mod

Having one flower pot would eliminate players having to make 3 or 4 different kinds (one for each mod).

Such as?

Trying to have the player only having to craft one type of flower pot so it's less confusing

All this (and more) is already possible with the approach I suggested. In fact if adding all this stuff to the vanilla flower pot, people will want more and more hooks into it to do more and more weird stuff. One example: "if my plant is in this flower pot, I want it to speed up crop growth around it", which then means every vanilla flower pot needs a ticking tile entity. Do we want that? No.

The approach you suggested is not possible if you want to have only one flower pot (or color/model variants) which can hold any IPotable^tm item. Also just because a hook is added into forge doesn't mean you have to do everything people ask for. This is a pretty simple suggestion that I think would solve a problem. 

Could someone easily add a mod similar to Bauble's in the sense that they add a "Smart" flower pot? Sure then if any mod devs want to add compat for it they can. But considering this is something just about any mod dev that is adding flowers or pot-able plants would appreciate why not make it an official part of forge like buckets, energy, oreDict, etc.

Edited by asdw420

12 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This would work, yes and this was how it was done for a while. Forge's universal bucket was only added recently as a convenience.

Cool let's add it for flower pots for convenience

14 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This analogy does not work. Forge Energy is not an energy system implementation, it is merely an API so that different mods are compatible with each other.

Good point, you are right

14 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Yes, it is. It precisely suggests just that, it seems you did not understand my approach though.

You are correct. I did not understand your approach at first. I thought you were suggesting every mod adds their own flowerpot item that players need to craft (<plants:flowerpot>, <bop:flowerpot>, etc. each with their own recipes). After reading your approach again what I believe you are suggesting is that mod devs add click functionality to their potables to check if they are being clicked into a vanilla flower pot, and if they are replace the pot with that mod's version of a flower pot which can hold the plant. Then if the player breaks the pot it drops the flower and a vanilla pot (not the modded one). This gives off the appearance to the player that they only ever have to use one flower pot for all modded flowers (assuming every dev did this). While I get this works I feel like this is a lot of work on the mod dev's side for something that seems like it should be simple. Making it a forge hook would make it more widely adopted since supporting is easier.  I realize this is probably a lot of work for the forge team to spend their time on but making it a forge hook seems like a much cleaner approach (possibly less mod id's are used and every mod doesn't need to have similar code to make a copy of the flower pot). 

21 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

True, but if this "forge flower pot" does not do everything people ask for, those people will not use it. Why add it then?

I expect 99% of devs that are adding a flower or sapling just want it so players can place it in a flower pot like all vanilla flowers and saplings

Idk this discussion seems pointless on my end so I guess I'll just end the thread here and give up. All I want is for most modded flowers/saplings to have the ability to be placed in flower pots (and colored variations) with widespread adoption. Hunting down every mod dev that adds a random flower or sapling and telling them to paste that block of code is a pain in the ass. Allowing mod devs to simple extend a class that allows their stuff to be put in pots that they were probably going to extend anyways is a much quicker and cleaner way to solve this issue IMO. 

• 1 month later...

Idk why the last 2 posts disappeared.

Builders/Roleplayers use them for many things. They make great ink pots among other things. And what about if I wanted to build a garden centre or flower shop, or maybe just a nice house/garden? Would I not use them? I'm not saying people can't just use that bit of code you suggested but as you said about the buckets, convenience.