1.12.2 isSneaking() not working

Acrogenous

I have legitimately simplified this code as much as possible to see if this was a parenthesis error, but to no avail

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, BlockPos blockpos, IBlockState p_onBlockActivated_3_, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing p_onBlockActivated_6_, float p_onBlockActivated_7_, float p_onBlockActivated_8_, float p_onBlockActivated_9_) {
        ItemStack stack = player.getHeldItem(hand);
        if (stack.hasTagCompound() && stack.getItem() == ModItems.logiCard && player.isSneaking())
        {
            NBTTagCompound card = stack.getTagCompound();
            card.setInteger("xpos", blockpos.getX());
            card.setInteger("ypos", blockpos.getY());
            card.setInteger("zpos", blockpos.getZ());
        }
        if (stack.hasTagCompound() && stack.getItem() == ModItems.logiCard && !player.isSneaking())
        {
            direction(stack, player, world, blockpos);
        }
        return super.onBlockActivated(world, blockpos, p_onBlockActivated_3_,player,hand, p_onBlockActivated_6_, p_onBlockActivated_7_, p_onBlockActivated_8_, p_onBlockActivated_9_);
    }

it is fine with detecting if the player is not sneaking, but it does absolutely nothing when the player is sneaking (there is already a compound tag on the item i am using, this was created originally but the code is greatly simplified, as said above) . A further point is when I invert the statements still only the !isSneaking works.

thanks in advance

~Acro

3 hours ago, Acrogenous said:

I have legitimately simplified this code as much as possible to see if this was a parenthesis error, but to no avail

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, BlockPos blockpos, IBlockState p_onBlockActivated_3_, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing p_onBlockActivated_6_, float p_onBlockActivated_7_, float p_onBlockActivated_8_, float p_onBlockActivated_9_) {
        if (stack.hasTagCompound() && stack.getItem() == ModItems.logiCard && player.isSneaking())
        {
        }
        if (stack.hasTagCompound() && stack.getItem() == ModItems.logiCard && !player.isSneaking())
        {
        }
        return super.onBlockActivated(world, blockpos, p_onBlockActivated_3_,player,hand, p_onBlockActivated_6_, p_onBlockActivated_7_, p_onBlockActivated_8_, p_onBlockActivated_9_);
    }

it is fine with detecting if the player is not sneaking, but it does absolutely nothing when the player is sneaking (there is already a compound tag on the item i am using, this was created originally but the code is greatly simplified, as said above) . A further point is when I invert the statements still only the !isSneaking works.

thanks in advance

~Acro

Dude, you have to first check if the ItemStack is not null first. Then do whatever you want

To debug this sort of thing is easy -- just put console (system.out.println()) statements in the code in judicious places and then see what gets printed. I personally put a print statement immediately before the if which prints out the value of every term, and then put a print statement in each path so I can confirm which path was actually executed.

with that information it is very easy to see what is going wrong. For example one thing in your code is you're not checking which hand, so it is probably running for both hands, and maybe that is somehow screwing things up a bit.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, lethinh said:

Check if the ItemStack is not EMPTY (ItemStack.EMPTY) or by using ItemStack#isEmpty.

Using ItemStack#isEmpty is best because it checks for malformed Itemstacks as well (including somehow being null which can still happen in mods if modder uses old habits or code when emptying a stack).

1 hour ago, jabelar said:

Using ItemStack#isEmpty is best because it checks for malformed Itemstacks as well (including somehow being null which can still happen in mods if modder uses old habits or code when emptying a stack).

ItemStack#isEmpty does not work on null stacks. It will crash. 

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

11 hours ago, jabelar said:

To debug this sort of thing is easy -- just put console (system.out.println()) statements in the code in judicious places and then see what gets printed. I personally put a print statement immediately before the if which prints out the value of every term, and then put a print statement in each path so I can confirm which path was actually executed.

with that information it is very easy to see what is going wrong. For example one thing in your code is you're not checking which hand, so it is probably running for both hands, and maybe that is somehow screwing things up a bit.

I tried that, from that I gauged that it was the actual ifSneaking() statment that wasn't working

Nope, didn't work, I didn't think it had anything to do with the itemstack (otherwise the latter statement wouldn't work either)

public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, BlockPos blockpos, IBlockState p_onBlockActivated_3_, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing p_onBlockActivated_6_, float p_onBlockActivated_7_, float p_onBlockActivated_8_, float p_onBlockActivated_9_)
    {
        if(player.getHeldItem(hand) != ItemStack.EMPTY)
        {
            if (stack.hasTagCompound() && stack.getItem() == ModItems.logiCard && player.isSneaking() )
            {
            }
            {
            }
        }
    }

Sneak-right clicking on a Block with an Item will only call Item#onItemUse by default, ignoring Block#onBlockActivated. To change this behaviour, either override Item#doesSneakBypassUse to return true (for your own Items) or subscribe to PlayerInteractEvent.RightClickBlock and call PlayerInteractEvent.RightClickBlock#setUseBlock with Result.ALLOW (for Items from Vanilla or other mods).

This is handled in PlayerInteractionManager#processRightClickBlock on the server and PlayerControllerMP#processRightClickBlock on the client.

Don't compare to ItemStack.EMPTY directly, it's just one of many possible empty ItemStacks. Use ItemStack#isEmpty instead.

• Like 2

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

6 hours ago, Acrogenous said:

I tried that, from that I gauged that it was the actual ifSneaking() statment that wasn't working

Sorry, you couldn't have done that fully or it would be obvious where the problem happens. As Choonster mentions, onBlockActivated() probably isn't even being called -- which would be obvious in the console statements (since they wouldn't print when you expect them to). Also, your if statements are still not that simple as there are conditions besides the sneaking that need to be satisfied. 

The thing with debugging is you have to double-check all your assumptions. Of course you expect everything is working because you wrote the code intending for it to work. So you literally have to confirm that every step of code executes exactly as you expect. You need to confirm that the method is called when you expect, that the parameter values are what you expect, that the if statement executes as you expect, and so forth.

Edited by jabelar
  • Like 1