[1.12.2] onBlockActivated Shouldn't this method be called twice?

American2050

So I was wondering, shouldn't the method onBlockActivated be called two times? One for each hand?

I'm testing with a simple:

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {

LogHelper.info("CALLED " + hand);

On console I see:

[17:29:34] [main/INFO] [LogHelper]: CALLED MAIN_HAND
[17:29:34] [Server thread/INFO] [LogHelper]: CALLED MAIN_HAND

I was expecting to see calls for OFF_HAND also.

So my question here would be: Am I forgetting something, and if so, what? And if this is the way it's intended, how do I make it so the player "Swings" the off hand if the action tool place from that hand?

I don't have time to look at the code, but I think I remember that off-hand is only called if the main hand is empty. Remember this method/event isn't checking the hands, but rather acting on what is in the hands. So if there is something in the main hand it will act on that.

So I expect you'll only see main hand, off hand, or nothing at all depending on what is being held in each hand.

Note too that it depends on the type of thing in each hand, if I recall. So if you're holding something in the main hand that doesn't interact with blocks I think it may go to off hand.

Everything I just said is pretty easy to check in code or test.

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

On 1/13/2018 at 1:12 PM, jabelar said:

if you're holding something in the main hand that doesn't interact with blocks I think it may go to off hand

Da, try your test again with sword in main and torch in off-hand. See what gets printed.

To really see how it does this, get into the debugger and step through (and into) it. You'll see the decision(s) being made.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:41 PM, jeffryfisher said:

Da, try your test again with sword in main and torch in off-hand. See what gets printed.

To really see how it does this, get into the debugger and step through (and into) it. You'll see the decision(s) being made.

That combination, will make the code on the torch to run and react.

What I'm looking for is "onBlockActivated" on the Block class to react to the off-hand (And I mean, if something happened and I return true, the swing animation to take place on the off hand and not on main)

But apparently that's not possible, at least no with the normal methods, as onBlockActivated get called only once.

Block#onBlockActivated will only get called with EnumHand.OFF_HAND if Block#onBlockActivated returns false when using EnumHand.MAIN_HAND.

Return false when the hand used is EnumHand.MAIN_HAND, and you'll get the desired effect.

• Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

On 1/18/2018 at 10:20 PM, larsgerrits said:

Block#onBlockActivated will only get called with EnumHand.OFF_HAND if Block#onBlockActivated returns false when using EnumHand.MAIN_HAND.

Return false when the hand used is EnumHand.MAIN_HAND, and you'll get the desired effect.

Ahhh thanks, gonna give it a try ;)